Swinton Lions

Dave Naylor

I suppose we could do with a Swinton Lions thread since the weekend is almost upon us.

Three losses have followed our must-win game against Dewsbury Rams — that we also lost.  The much touted great escape has to begin somewhere and — dare I use the word —  it must start at Heywood Road on Sunday.

A win for the Lions would make things even tighter for Oldham and the trapdoor to League 1 oblivion will swing open even wider, especially if Dewsbury win up at Whitehaven.

We could and probably should have won our last two games and Swinton won their first game e̶v̶e̶r̶ this season last Sunday.  So we'll have, cough, two of the league's form teams meeting for battle at the ground with the tallest posts in the known universe.

I'll be there to record the shenanigans.  It's only a couple of tram rides from Oldham so let's have some.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dave Naylor said:

I suppose we could do with a Swinton Lions thread since the weekend is almost upon us.

Three losses have followed our must-win game against Dewsbury Rams — that we also lost.  The much touted great escape has to begin somewhere and — dare I use the word —  it must start at Heywood Road on Sunday.

A win for the Lions would make things even tighter for Oldham and the trapdoor to League 1 oblivion will swing open even wider, especially if Dewsbury win up at Whitehaven.

We could and probably should have won our last two games and Swinton won their first game e̶v̶e̶r̶ this season last Sunday.  So we'll have, cough, two of the league's form teams meeting for battle at the ground with the tallest posts in the known universe.

I'll be there to record the shenanigans.  It's only a couple of tram rides from Oldham so let's have some.

We won't. 😞

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Squad is very similar again to the last few games with only a couple of changes. Roby gets in somewhere in the back line but i'm not 100% sure where.  Joy comes in for me on the bench instead of Pick. Wouldn't make too many other changes as the performance was excellent last week.

Huge game as we all know. If we concentrate on our defence and put in that same attitude as against London we will win.

COME ON OLDHAM.

Weather is looking absolutely terrible. It's a day for kicking early and backing your defence. Hold onto the ball and stay disciplined. 

Think it's gonna be a close one today with these conditons. Oldham by 4 i'm going. Reilly MOTM.

3 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Final score 22 - 22 from being 12 nil up.

Dewsbury got beat so it's still on "The Great Escape!"

Watching Dewsbury's score creeping up was nerve wracking too but hope springs eternal, a draw is better than another loss.

Great to see so much pride in the shirt the last two games really could have and probably should have won both games , but rugby league can be harsh and we still 2 wins behind Dewsbury, hopefully same kind of performance at Sheffield next week and we have hope but whatever happens  happy to support a team that I seen the last 2 weeks whatever the results effort can't be faulted 

47 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Final score 22 - 22 from being 12 nil up.

Dewsbury got beat so it's still on "The Great Escape!"

Maybe, but if you are starting to hit form you should expect another Covid outbreak at Sheffield.🕵️‍♂️

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

29 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Maybe, but if you are starting to hit form you should expect another Covid outbreak at Sheffield.🕵️‍♂️

i see the bradford v sheffield was postponed was it through covid.

so what happens if the oldham game against sheffield next week is off through coviid.

its no fault of oldhams is it.

Very frustrating result. First half we were good verging on very good. Came out of the blocks quick and wasted 2 or 3 chances but looking dangerous. Then made a couple of breaks through the middle with no support. Then Dupree scored two cracking individual tries to give us a deserving half time lead.

Unfortunately in the second half we completely went away from what we had been doing. Brierley dropped the ball right after half time letting Swinton back in the game. Our discipline was poor in the second half giving away pens and making errors at crucial times. Roby scored a lovely try almost straight away to give us back our two score lead but again we let them straight back in the game. Hatton and Brooks were fantastic for them at prop.

Dupree was fantastic again as he has been most of the year. D Abram had his best game in an Oldham shirt by a mile and was excellent. Thought Langtee and Bridge again continued their return to form and were both very good.

I thought for the first time McDermott made some poor mistakes with the subs. Playing Dupree and J Abram for the entire first half left them knackered for the second half and both were very subdued after half time. Then taking both Bridge and Langtree off for the last 15 mins  when we were desperately holding on made very little sense to me.

1 hour ago, tandle said:

i see the bradford v sheffield was postponed was it through covid.

so what happens if the oldham game against sheffield next week is off through coviid.

its no fault of oldhams is it.

No it isn't. Sheffield do give some people the impression of using Covid outbreaks tactically but I am sure that this is wholly untrue given Mark Aston's reputation for straight dealing and probity.

Archived