Sat 7 - Sun 8 Aug: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

3 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

I have to say League 1 this season has been excellent. One of the best yet in terms of quality and competitiveness. It's a real shame that this could potentially be the last proper season in league 1. Lots of upheavals incoming, with massive funding cuts and restructures but I'm just enjoying it while I can! 

10 clubs @ £75K = £750,000 ... 3% of the supposed new £25 million tv deal.

By the time the £750,000 has been split between the 10/12/14🤔😂 SL clubs & the remaining champ/SL2 (or whatever the new structure might be) is the amount really going to make much difference other than half an aged aussie player wage per team - is that amount really going to make the difference and save/reinvigorate the SL brand or individual team. Culling the league 1 current teams & the devastating effect it would have on their community work/youth development etc is just short sighted madness, let alone the indignity of the possibility of completely removing some clubs with a rich history of RL. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Disappointing from Bears today who for some reason always seem to struggle against Crusaders. Pulled it back to within 4 points and momentum looked like it had well and truly swung to the Bears but Crusaders did very well to see the game out and finish with a couple of tries late on. 

Another enjoyable visit to Butts Park today. When you had the momentum and six points behind, we were all saying "we need to score next" and fortunately for us we did. That was a big win for us today, topped off with a couple of pints of "Stout Coffin" in the excellent Broomfield Tavern.🙂

We're on a roll at the moment with four wins on the bounce, and really enjoying the business end of the season. It's in our hands now to make the playoffs and every game now, especially at home, will be like a cup final.

I hope Coventry can be in the mix as well, no reason why you shouldn't. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

32 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

10 clubs @ £75K = £750,000 ... 3% of the supposed new £25 million tv deal.

By the time the £750,000 has been split between the 10/12/14🤔😂 SL clubs & the remaining champ/SL2 (or whatever the new structure might be) is the amount really going to make much difference other than half an aged aussie player wage per team - is that amount really going to make the difference and save/reinvigorate the SL brand or individual team. Culling the league 1 current teams & the devastating effect it would have on their community work/youth development etc is just short sighted madness, let alone the indignity of the possibility of completely removing some clubs with a rich history of RL. 

Absolutely spot on. The amount clubs in L1 are getting is currently even less than that now. As you say the amount of money 'saved' vs what we will lose you'd think it would be a no brainer. Clubs of course were expecting a reduction, but with rumours that funding will be reduced to an amount that barely covers expenses it's a real shocker and I do fear we'll lose some clubs from the game. The Bears as a relatively new team no doubt will be one of those that may be vulnerable.

This after one of their best seasons and community work which has spawned 3 new Juniors clubs and seen nearly 1000 school kids learning the game. People will say that the community work can continue but sponsorship and fund raising that is part and parcel of being in the elite leagues allows the Bears to offer what they do. The same is true for other clubs and for me it would be a devasting loss for the game. It's such a backward step for the game and while these may be small teams eroding the bottom of the pyramid weakens the whole game in my opinion. 

30 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

Another enjoyable visit to Butts Park today. When you had the momentum and six points behind, we were all saying "we need to score next" and fortunately for us we did. That was a big win for us today, topped off with a couple of pints of "Stout Coffin" in the excellent Broomfield Tavern.🙂

We're on a roll at the moment with four wins on the bounce, and really enjoying the business end of the season. It's in our hands now to make the playoffs and every game now, especially at home, will be like a cup final.

I hope Coventry can be in the mix as well, no reason why you shouldn't. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

You were excellent in the first 20 mins, though Bears will be very disappointed with the start to the game. It really looked like we had momentum 2nd half and I thought another Hunslet turnaround was on. But fair play you didn't panic and closed out the game really well. 

There was a great travelling contingent again and really added to the atmosphere in what was a disappointingly low home attendance (albeit we clashed with Cov City returning for their first 'home' game in 3 years). Aside from a blip at home vs Barrow you are looking very strong this year and should reach the playoffs. 

Archived