Sun 8 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Since it's only 9 weeks since jabs were opened up to under 30s (which will capture most players) with an 8-12 week gap between doses + 2 weeks it's difficult to see how 'fax (or any other club for that matter) would have a fully vaxxed squad at this moment in time.

Unless you've got a time machine to loan them?

Our half backs Sykes and Finn had their jabs months ago 😁

12 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Haven sneaking up on all of us for a playoff run.  Same story for Widnes in that they were competitive first half but short second half. 

Oldham probably blown chance to escape relegatíon.  

You've got to understand widnes are the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde of the championship against FEV  in the semi they were really up for it and we had to dig deep and won 24-18 but in league game at widnes they did nowt and without really trying we had a comfortable 32-10 win and now it seems they are changing during the game at batley and york Dr Jekyll was winning at half time but in the second half Mr Hyde was comfortably beaten😀

Widnes leading at half time only to surrender it in a scoreless second half, I'm told that's happened in 6 out of 9 defeats this year.  Must be some cracking half time team talks by Finnegan.  Oh and an away loss in Yorkshire is being standard also

I think the issue with Widnes is that once they get one or two injuries the quality of forwards they have available drops off markedly, and they have sometimes not had enough recognised middles to give them proper breathers, meaning they struggle as the game goes on.

When they played at Fev in the 1895 Cup they had a decent 17 and their bench (from memory Clough, Farnworth and Tilleke) outplayed the Fev bench middles that day, which consisted of three small guys in Cooper, Field and Davies.

Looking at their bench yesterday of Farnworth, Edge, Brookes and Roden, from memory one's a middle/back row, one's a hooker, one's a wing and one's a utility centre/wing, I don't know how they used their subs but it's no wonder if they got overpowered as the game went on, you can't really expect to compete at this level without at least 2 recognised middles on the bench. They signed Cook, Clough and Jewitt as their three main middles this season and none of them played yesterday  (I don't think Jewitt has played at all).

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think the issue with Widnes is that once they get one or two injuries the quality of forwards they have available drops off markedly, and they have sometimes not had enough recognised middles to give them proper breathers, meaning they struggle as the game goes on.

When they played at Fev in the 1895 Cup they had a decent 17 and their bench (from memory Clough, Farnworth and Tilleke) outplayed the Fev bench middles that day, which consisted of three small guys in Cooper, Field and Davies.

Looking at their bench yesterday of Farnworth, Edge, Brookes and Roden, from memory one's a middle/back row, one's a hooker, one's a wing and one's a utility centre/wing, I don't know how they used their subs but it's no wonder if they got overpowered as the game went on, you can't really expect to compete at this level without at least 2 recognised middles on the bench. They signed Cook, Clough and Jewitt as their three main middles this season and none of them played yesterday  (I don't think Jewitt has played at all).

True, We've got a small squad, that have more backs than forwards, and two of our long term injuries are forwards

Cook has been disappointing when he's been available

Jewitt apparently was signed knowing he wouldn't play much and would be more of a coach....

Clough has done okay - just not been available every game

Overall poor recruitment, last minute change of head coach prior to the 2020 season didn't help either

29 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Absolutely spot on. The squad is too small (both in terms of number and size). The three-quarters are a match for anyone in the Championship, but if often feels like we're playing without a front row.

There's been spells in some games where they've thrown in the towel - the 5 tries in 10 minutes against Batley was one. But the losing games in the second half is largely down to the physical mismatch in the centre of the field. 

That said, I'm going to stick my neck out and say I do fancy us to get a rare win in Yorkshire at Dewsbury on Sunday. 

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Think they are just short three players and the covid situation meant clubs don´t want to release players. Next year if Widnes can add a few pieces think they will be in the mix with Fax and Bulls. 

If there's no central funding next year, and no Covid, you'd expect the teams with the biggest attendances to have the biggest budgets and to be around the top of the table. 

13 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Think they are just short three players and the covid situation meant clubs don´t want to release players. Next year if Widnes can add a few pieces think they will be in the mix with Fax and Bulls. 

That's not true there are a current number of champs clubs with loan players FEV have  one and have had two previously they have also loaned players to superleague championship and now have 4 in league one and recently signed a player from FAX so players are available

2 minutes ago, POR said:

That's not true there are a current number of champs clubs with loan players FEV have  one and have had two previously they have also loaned players to superleague championship and now have 4 in league one and recently signed a player from FAX so players are available

York have also been loaning players all season, three were playing yesterday.

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Think many people have made the distinction that the player pool on the other side of the hill is a bit larger to pick up players than Manchester side right now. 

But FEV picked one up from salford who I think are on the on the manchester side 😀

22 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Toulouse are a SL club/team in all but name. 

They were lucky to beat Fev last week. Fev were without several regulars including Chisholm, and Toulouse were full strength after three weeks off.  They got away with murder slowing the ruck down.  So I think you are exaggerating.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

51 minutes ago, Trojan said:

They were lucky to beat Fev last week. Fev were without several regulars including Chisholm, and Toulouse were full strength after three weeks off.  They got away with murder slowing the ruck down.  So I think you are exaggerating.

Ah ok ! I understand now : toulouse win this match because Fev were the best team…. I hope TO players appreciate how luckuy they were… 

1 hour ago, JonM said:

If there's no central funding next year, and no Covid, you'd expect the teams with the biggest attendances to have the biggest budgets and to be around the top of the table. 

Doesn't necessarily work like that. Attendances are only one part of the equation. It's also about which teams are paying rent on their stadium, which teams own their stadium and get all the income from beer/food sales etc, which teams have good sponsorship deals and other income streams.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Doesn't necessarily work like that. Attendances are only one part of the equation. It's also about which teams are paying rent on their stadium, which teams own their stadium and get all the income from beer/food sales etc, which teams have good sponsorship deals and other income streams.

Yep, in 2019 gate receipts represented <20% of Fev's income

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This. We dont make a penny from any sales in the stadium and obviously have rent to pay but I also know we have one of the best commercial set ups in the championship which is probably the reason we have been able to stay competitive at the top end of the table for so long when its looked like other teams should have a big advanatge over us.

On 09/08/2021 at 03:26, Leonard said:

From the ground I would say 500ish. Noticeably busier than usual with some familiar faces.

Playing half a side of undersized academy players will get us nowhere though.

Blooding British players when you know you won't get promoted seems logical to me.

Other clubs with zero chance of promotion should do the same

On 08/08/2021 at 21:03, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Since it's only 9 weeks since jabs were opened up to under 30s (which will capture most players) with an 8-12 week gap between doses + 2 weeks it's difficult to see how 'fax (or any other club for that matter) would have a fully vaxxed squad at this moment in time.

Unless you've got a time machine to loan them?

No2 son arrived home today for some summer leave. He's a medic with the Marines. Catching up with his brother this topic came up. The gap can be 3-4 weeks (that's all we waited for in France) there is no need for such a long wait. If the need arises you can ask for a shorter turnaround. Only for AZ and Pfizer vaccines though.

No need for a time machine then, just some common sense and planning. 

Still... we are where we are... they just have to get on with it. I hope the later games are not cancelled when we get to the business end of the season for this same reason.

19 minutes ago, kiggy said:

No2 son arrived home today for some summer leave. He's a medic with the Marines. Catching up with his brother this topic came up. The gap can be 3-4 weeks (that's all we waited for in France) there is no need for such a long wait. If the need arises you can ask for a shorter turnaround. Only for AZ and Pfizer vaccines though.

No need for a time machine then, just some common sense and planning. 

Still... we are where we are... they just have to get on with it. I hope the later games are not cancelled when we get to the business end of the season for this same reason.

We're in the UK though where it's still 8-12 weeks between doses (I believe the 8 week gap is primarily for the over 40s). Even with an 8 week gap that would still mean the first under 30s to be vaxxed are a week away from 'fully vaccinated' status.

Anyway, we're straying into 'political' territory so best leave alone otherwise we'll end up with our posts deleted 😏

8 hours ago, PECETTO said:

Ah ok ! I understand now : toulouse win this match because Fev were the best team…. I hope TO players appreciate how luckuy they were… 

I didn't say that.  But the score certainly didn't reflect the game.  Toulouse got away with a lot of things they won't get away with in SL

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

11 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

We're in the UK though where it's still 8-12 weeks between doses (I believe the 8 week gap is primarily for the over 40s). Even with an 8 week gap that would still mean the first under 30s to be vaxxed are a week away from 'fully vaccinated' status.

Anyway, we're straying into 'political' territory so best leave alone otherwise we'll end up with our posts deleted 😏

Yes, more political I guess, but just to let you know in the UK it *is* better to wait longer but the official statement from the vaccine manufacturers is anytime after 4 weeks. 

Ho hum. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope to see York playing in Toulouse this season, but, in reality it looks like next season before we will see any RL in Toulouse.

43 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Yes, more political I guess, but just to let you know in the UK it *is* better to wait longer but the official statement from the vaccine manufacturers is anytime after 4 weeks. 

It's a medical decision taken on a national basis. They believe the data shows better long-term immunity with 8+ weeks than 4 weeks. So rugby league clubs or individual players can't just ask for a shorter gap. We should be at the point where all adults will have been able to have had two doses (plus two weeks for the immune response to build) by early September. 

Hopefully that will allow Toulouse the opportunity to play at least one home game before the play-offs.

2 hours ago, kiggy said:

Ho hum. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope to see York playing in Toulouse this season, but, in reality it looks like next season before we will see any RL in Toulouse.

it looks like next season before we will see any RL in Toulouse. Rfl announce next two games Fax and Batley cancelled

Archived