Sun 8 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

35 minutes ago, POR said:

it looks like next season before we will see any RL in Toulouse. Rfl announce next two games Fax and Batley cancelled

Yes, just picked that up as well. Batley will be happy, getting spanked by 30+ would have put a dent in their win %. 😉 Week off for them then to recuperate for a final push to the end of the season.

Hopefully, the two away games at Oldham and Newcastle will go ahead so that TO can complete 13 matches. It would be a crying shame if they only ended up playing 12 with a 100% record.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Yes, just picked that up as well. Batley will be happy, getting spanked by 30+ would have put a dent in their win %. 😉 Week off for them then to recuperate for a final push to the end of the season.

Hopefully, the two away games at Oldham and Newcastle will go ahead so that TO can complete 13 matches. It would be a crying shame if they only ended up playing 12 with a 100% record.

What, and Halifax will be gutted they can't go?

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

What, and Halifax will be gutted they can't go?

I think Fev will be more disappointed than us with Fax been the team that has been closest to beating Toulouse this season. 🤣

Just looked at the table and Toulouse conceded a 3rd of their points against us in that game. 😁

22 hours ago, PECETTO said:

Ah ok ! I understand now : toulouse win this match because Fev were the best team…. I hope TO players appreciate how luckuy they were… 

Were you there?  Did you see Toulouse slowing down the ruck, illegally reefing the ball?  I was and I did.  Nevertheless until the last 15 minutes it was a tight game, when Fev who'd played tough games at Wembley and Bradford in the previous weeks ran out of steam/  Toulouse who hadn't played for three weeks didn't.  I see they've had two more home games postponed, another chance for r&r, not afforded to other sides.

The anti Fev atmosphere on this forum has been growing for years, now it has become really poisonous.  Is it any wonder that there is hostility to this forum on the Fev Facebook page.  Is it any wonder that Fev fans chant "no one likes us, we don't care?"

The fact is that Toulouse are not a virtual SL side - far from it.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

Were you there?  Did you see Toulouse slowing down the ruck, illegally reefing the ball?  I was and I did.  Nevertheless until the last 15 minutes it was a tight game, when Fev who'd played tough games at Wembley and Bradford in the previous weeks ran out of steam/  Toulouse who hadn't played for three weeks didn't.  I see they've had two more home games postponed, another chance for r&r, not afforded to other sides.

The anti Fev atmosphere on this forum has been growing for years, now it has become really poisonous.  Is it any wonder that there is hostility to this forum on the Fev Facebook page.  Is it any wonder that Fev fans chant "no one likes us, we don't care?"

The fact is that Toulouse are not a virtual SL side - far from it.

Anti-Fev atmosphere? I think almost everyone thinks Fev are a great club, filled with tradition and vibrancy (despite the odd misdemeanour off the field). Doesn’t mean people can’t see the opportunity for the sport with Toulouse in the top flight though… and beyond benefits to English RL structures (see IRL thread and Grant’s comments). 

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

There is no anti fev attitude on this forum, merely an acknowledgement that Toulouse being in SL has the potential to grow the game more than Fev. If we´re going to 14 Fev will get the chance to show everyone what they can do and will actually add a few good games for TV with Wakey and Cas close. 

Excuse me, I've been on this forum since  before 2004.  The Anti fev feeling goes that far back.  Toulouse will do no more for RL than Celtic Crusaders or Toronto or any of the other half assed attempts at expansion.

Expansion will come from having a successful international sided, that pushes its way on to the sports pages.  You only have to look at the interest in obscure sports at the Olympics, providing there's some British success.  And RL has a head start over many of these sports, like dressage or BMXing  - the public are familiar with it.   Fev were artificially excluded from SL at the start in favour of Paris and London - look where that led.  All Fev fans want is the chance for their team to compete in the top flight.  If we fail we fail, at least we had a chance.  For most of the early teens of this century we were the top championship club, but were denied access.  Featherstone have built a ground themselves, largely by vounteer labour to satisfy the SL terms.  Unlike either Cas's or Wakey's.  We deserve our chance.  My bet is that in two or three years Toulouse will be another red face.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

6 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Anti-Fev atmosphere? I think almost everyone thinks Fev are a great club, filled with tradition and vibrancy (despite the odd misdemeanour off the field). Doesn’t mean people can’t see the opportunity for the sport with Toulouse in the top flight though… and beyond benefits to English RL structures (see IRL thread and Grant’s comments). 

all this doesn't make them the finished article though.  And say what you like they are benefitting hugely from fake 23-0 wins without risking their players on the field.  We turned out on the 1st of August minus our main playmaker, minus several other key players, with others carrying injuries, which is to be expected at this time of the season.  Toulouse hadn't played for three weeks. Plenty of chance to recover from all the little niggles and knocks that if you continue playing can turn into major problems.  Do you call that a level playing field?

Clement Attlee.

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Please see previous comment:  If we´re going to 14 Fev will get the chance to show everyone what they can do and will actually add a few good games for TV with Wakey and Cas close. 

There´s no evidence to suggest that Toulouse will be like Paris... 

Toulouse are also not an expansion side… and have better roots/structures in place than many traditional English clubs.

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Please see previous comment:  If we´re going to 14 Fev will get the chance to show everyone what they can do and will actually add a few good games for TV with Wakey and Cas close. 

There´s no evidence to suggest that Toulouse will be like Paris... 

What evidence was there that Paris would be like Paris?

Clement Attlee.

Just now, Trojan said:

all this doesn't make them the finished article though.  And say what you like they are benefitting hugely from fake 23-0 wins without risking their players on the field.  We turned out on the 1st of August minus our main playmaker, minus several other key players, with others carrying injuries, which is to be expected at this time of the season.  Toulouse hadn't played for three weeks. Plenty of chance to recover from all the little niggles and knocks that if you continue playing can turn into major problems.  Do you call that a level playing field?

Who’s fault is that? It’s certainly not Toulouse’s…

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

Toulouse are also not an expansion side… and have better roots/structures in place than many traditional English clubs.

In that case why not do what the French experiment was originally touted as doing, rebuilding the game in France.  If Touilouse are that good and Catalans win SL, let them play one another in a reconstituted French comp.

Clement Attlee.

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Who’s fault is that? It’s certainly not Toulouse’s…

Well it's not Fev's and they are the ones who'll suffer

Clement Attlee.

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

You already know the answer, and imagine being so dense as to say we need to grow internationals but the incubation chamber of two french teams in SL you want to bin off and effectively kill both Catalan and Toulouse. This might be why some people have a pop at Fev, if this is the kind of narrowminded suggestion people chip in with. 

HOW DARE YOU!!!!  No one has been more supportive of correct expansion of RL.  Anyone who doesn't agree with me must be narrow minded.  I've seen this expansion again and again. Fulham - dead loss, Cardiff Blue ~Dragons, dead loss, Mansfield Marksmen , dead loss, Carlisle , dead loss, Kent Invicta, dead loss, Scarborough, dead loss, Sheffield, hanging on by a thread.  Celtic Crusaders - major embarrassment, Toronto ditto.  And I predict that Toulouse will go the same route, I hope I've wrong, but I fear I'm not.  Meantime a traditional club, who'd won the Championship and the CC three times since the 70's are to be denied access.

Clement Attlee.

Fax might be a threat at home but can´t see them going to Fev and winning tbh. 

I can, they're the best side we've played this season, including Toulouse,  Unfortunately for them the ref gave Fev a fair shake.

Clement Attlee.

6 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

You can argue it in the other way… Toulouse could be undercooked; less battle hardened. All depends on your perspective, bias and opinion…

They certainly didn't look undercooked in the last 10 at P O Road.  Our players were out on their feet, Toulouse were still fairly fresh.

Clement Attlee.

You just said Toulouse and Catalan should be dumped out of the only professional comp in Europe and be dumped in an elite one which is probably a decade away from even sniffing a tv deal. If that´s supportive of expansion I´d hate to see the opposite. Going to mute this from now.

If they're such a draw playing one another they shouldn't need the English league to prop them up.  They should be able to attract money and media interest into the game.

Clement Attlee.

44 minutes ago, Trojan said:

If they're such a draw playing one another they shouldn't need the English league to prop them up.  They should be able to attract money and media interest into the game.

Can the same be said of the NZ Warriors, the PNG Hunters, or the Fiji Siktails? They’ve got tonnes of interest in their respective countries yet play in someone else’s league…

47 minutes ago, Trojan said:

They certainly didn't look undercooked in the last 10 at P O Road.  Our players were out on their feet, Toulouse were still fairly fresh.

Maybe they are just played better with more control? Can happen in games…

Maybe just maybe Toulouse were the better team on the day just like they have been all season and that this wasn’t down to any assistance perceived or otherwise or any other multi decade conspiracy

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

Maybe just maybe Toulouse were the better team on the day just like they have been all season and that this wasn’t down to any assistance perceived or otherwise or any other multi decade conspiracy

They were the better team on the day.  But then they didn't have the absences and injuries Fev did.  But my point is that they weren't good enough to say they are a SL team in waiting. They're not.  The game was evenly balanced with 10-15 mins to go.  Toulouse certainly looked nothing like a SL side.  Every time they miss a home game and "win" it 23-0 increases they're advantage over the rest of the Championship.  They're scoring win after win without incurring any injuries sin binnings or knocks.  

But as I say the general sentiment on this forum is anti Fev.  And it's not just me who says it.  The vast majority of posters on the Fev Facebook page express open hostility to this forum.  I am merely reporting what I read.

Clement Attlee.

21 minutes ago, Trojan said:

They were the better team on the day.  But then they didn't have the absences and injuries Fev did.  But my point is that they weren't good enough to say they are a SL team in waiting. They're not.  The game was evenly balanced with 10-15 mins to go.  Toulouse certainly looked nothing like a SL side.  Every time they miss a home game and "win" it 23-0 increases they're advantage over the rest of the Championship.  They're scoring win after win without incurring any injuries sin binnings or knocks.  

But as I say the general sentiment on this forum is anti Fev.  And it's not just me who says it.  The vast majority of posters on the Fev Facebook page express open hostility to this forum.  I am merely reporting what I read.

Don’t worry about the anti fev brigade. They’re all jealous because you have your own ground and income streams

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

4 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Don’t worry about the anti fev brigade. They’re all jealous because you have your own ground and income streams

ALL clubs have fans who don't like certain clubs i  don't care who is anti Fev  it's pointless worrying about it.

35 minutes ago, Trojan said:

First point - can you advise me which games they have “won” 23-0?

Second point - that’s just either paranoia or a conspiracy theory. 

Third point - what you read? What you believe? Or both?

Archived