Championship 2022

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Yes I do feel that two teams will go,one I think will be West Wales as I think they will either fold it or throw their lot in with North Wales Crusaders and perhaps rename/rebrand such as say Welsh Crusaders or United Wales RL(thinking out aloud) having just one team in Wales and one other,whom I don’t know.

That's like Swinton merging with Barrow.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

28 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Or Gateshead with Hull

Strange to think back to the time.

Now Thunder,reformed,are gifted a place in The Championship and Hull FC have benefited for years from the broadcast deal as a Super League club with an owner,who recently claimed our sport would match the other code.

Times - and clubs, change - as stated by Martyn Sadler.

What don't seem to change is that there RFL who probably already have everything planned for 2022...and it will be as abhorrent as the 'merger' mentioned.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

That's like Swinton merging with Barrow.

Good one Blind Side Johnny 🤣you makes me laugh.

But to be serious it would probably make sense for just one club in Wales and probably where they(North Wales Crusaders)play now,Zip World stadium somewhere in North Wales near the main A55(I think)would probably be the best place in Wales to have a professional/semi professional club as they are in a commutable area where many players live ie the Warrington,St Helens,Wigan,Widnes and the Liverpool or Manchester areas.

I don't think it's fair talking about clubs being "binned", and so called mergers between clubs so far apart that you might as well suggest merging Newcastle with Coventry.

If, as has been suggested, there will be no funding for League 1, then we are talking about up to 16 clubs being tossed in the bin anyway, so singling out a couple of clubs to make space in the bin seems completely pointless.

Here in League 1 we're used to getting nothing out of these restructures, we're used to having our central funding reduced, and we're used to just being left to fend for ourselves with anything from 9 to 16 clubs, after SL and the Championship have decided what's best for themselves.

As usual, we'll dust ourselves down and just get on with it.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

11 hours ago, fearnowt said:

I don't think it's fair talking about clubs being "binned", and so called mergers between clubs so far apart that you might as well suggest merging Newcastle with Coventry.

If, as has been suggested, there will be no funding for League 1, then we are talking about up to 16 clubs being tossed in the bin anyway, so singling out a couple of clubs to make space in the bin seems completely pointless.

Here in League 1 we're used to getting nothing out of these restructures, we're used to having our central funding reduced, and we're used to just being left to fend for ourselves with anything from 9 to 16 clubs, after SL and the Championship have decided what's best for themselves.

As usual, we'll dust ourselves down and just get on with it.

League 1 reality. Right there.

13 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

But to be serious it would probably make sense for just one club in Wales and probably where they(North Wales Crusaders)play now,Zip World stadium somewhere in North Wales near the main A55(I think)would probably be the best place in Wales to have a professional/semi professional club as they are in a commutable area where many players live ie the Warrington,St Helens,Wigan,Widnes and the Liverpool or Manchester areas.

There is no need to merge the two in order to achieve that.

The distances, both linear and cultural, between North and South Wales are much greater than we English can comprehend, I believe.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I think you're right there. Much as I'd like to see the Raiders succeed they're too far away to get the players they need, as has been the case for all the attempts to get the game established in the South of the Principality. With the Cru in our present location we can put a competitive team on the park to keep the speccies coming in while developing local players without having to push them into first team footie before they're ready.

18 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

If Championship go down to 12 they will have a cut in match day money.And a probable cut out of the TV money as well so it will only drive a bigger wedge between the top twp divisions.Two less matches would cost Rev at least 80K.

Just to be clear. In the 14 team championship this year each club was given 11 home fixtures......

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

There is no need to merge the two in order to achieve that.

The distances, both linear and cultural, between North and South Wales are much greater than we English can comprehend, I believe.

You are correct that the distances between North and South Wales both linear and cultural are great.

But I think that rugby league in Wales and having a club in the North would make more sense as South Wales is more rugby Union heartland.

6 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

You are correct that the distances between North and South Wales both linear and cultural are great.

But I think that rugby league in Wales and having a club in the North would make more sense as South Wales is more rugby Union heartland.

The decision may well end up being that League 1 central funding is reduced to nothing (or next to nothing), but why would we force clubs to fold?

If West Wales (or anyone else) want to continue to play with less funding, why would RFL stop them if they can do it effectively on their own?

If clubs fold, it's an awful shame (it happened to my club), but we can accept it occasionally happens. The governing body shouldn't be mandating it though - they should be offering support for such clubs, even if it can't be financial.

If the argument is that we will be having a new league structure and the result is there are too many clubs for that structure - then it is the new structure that is wrong, not the number of clubs.

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Just to be clear. In the 14 team championship this year each club was given 11 home fixtures......

Yes but the clubs gate money will be down unless they have increased their crowds.It's like working 35 hrs instead of 40 and expecting to get the same wage.

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

There's always loop fixtures.

I'm surprised folk forgot about those.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

21 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Champ is one league that doesnt need screwing with.  Tou and Fev probably up.  

Oldman and Swinton down.  Barrow up who are getting solid crowds plus one. 

So we would have 6 teams in Champ who all think they should challenge. (Newcastle,York,Widnes, Bradford,London, Fax) plus Barrow and Shef in new stadium wont be making up numbers. 

I follow York and still uncertain why people think, York are a certain for Super League. Look at the championship table for one. The ground is OK but not huge and same with attendances. No structure outside of 1st team and also a part time team. The main challengers have to be Toulouse and Fev closely followed by London, Newcastle and Bradford (due to academy and off field structures) 

3 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

The decision may well end up being that League 1 central funding is reduced to nothing (or next to nothing), but why would we force clubs to fold?

If West Wales (or anyone else) want to continue to play with less funding, why would RFL stop them if they can do it effectively on their own?

If clubs fold, it's an awful shame (it happened to my club), but we can accept it occasionally happens. The governing body shouldn't be mandating it though - they should be offering support for such clubs, even if it can't be financial.

If the argument is that we will be having a new league structure and the result is there are too many clubs for that structure - then it is the new structure that is wrong, not the number of clubs.

It was sad to see your Club Bramley go to the wall, I always enjoyed going there. The move to Headingley unfortunately was the beginning of the end. 

4 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

It was sad to see your Club Bramley go to the wall, I always enjoyed going there. The move to Headingley unfortunately was the beginning of the end. 

It shows how important having your own ground can be (or at least having the guarantee of a ground). Other heartland clubs who've gone bust managed to re-form - Bramley not having a suitable ground available was a big factor in not being able to come back as a semi-pro club.

58 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Part time team is non arguement.  If in SL they will have tv money.  

Part time is a major argument.

It is not simply employing players full-time, even if they wish to comply. It is about establishing a completely different structure, administration, environment and culture. It is a very big deal indeed. Even bigger is moving from a full-time structure to a part-time one: this can trigger the demise of a club.

Most clubs currently in the Championship wouldn't want to move to full-time.

15 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Part time is a major argument.

It is not simply employing players full-time, even if they wish to comply. It is about establishing a completely different structure, administration, environment and culture. It is a very big deal indeed. Even bigger is moving from a full-time structure to a part-time one: this can trigger the demise of a club.

Most clubs currently in the Championship wouldn't want to move to full-time.

Indeed. Switching to a full time operation following a season in the middle 8s appeared to set Sheffield back rather than push them forwards. A few of their players didn't want to be full time either (no doubt they had well paid and more reliable jobs outside of rugby) and the club seemed to struggle with the change in operation. At the same time Halifax chose to remain part time and put the extra money into building the whole club.

Batley IIRC said a few years ago that they would decline a SL place if they won promotion (or words to that effect) as they are much more comfortable as a part time club in the Championship

9 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Part time team is non arguement.  If in SL they will have tv money.  

You know what looks ###### on tv? Big half empty stadiums. Yorks is a perfect size to look great on tv.  They are getting 1500 in meaningless games this season. They would average 5000 min in SL and 7000 vs Hull or Leeds will look amazing on the tv. 

I dont think they are a cert but they would be an upgrade on some teams currently in there and have no real sports competition in a economically thriving city. 

What possible proof do you have that York would average a min 5000 in SL.

I remember a poster from York,saying on here that the people of York generally had no interest in professional sport.

This was also put forward as a reason for the poor quality football team for a city of it's size.

Archived