Championship 2022

York has a long history of mediocrity in both soccer and rugby league.

Performance on the field is very often linked to attendances and, more generally, finances.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can we possibly be talking about yet another restructure again, it’s unbelievable, I really do despair. Its constantly rearranging the deckchairs on a sinking ship instead of trying to fix the problems.

Both the Championship and Super League should stay as they are, I’m really looking forward to the unbeaten Toulouse finally reaching Super League and replacing the bottom side Leigh. Toulouse will add so much to the competition, changing the terms of the season at this late stage would be diabolical.

7 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

What possible proof do you have that York would average a min 5000 in SL.

I remember a poster from York,saying on here that the people of York generally had no interest in professional sport.

This was also put forward as a reason for the poor quality football team for a city of it's size.

I am a York fan and this statement is so true. I can imagine there being a peak when Hull teams and Leeds visit but how many of the fans in the home end would be "neutral" and not away fans would be interesting to see. The max capacity is 10,000 short of Headingley which isn't a million miles away and as much as people despise the Rhinos for those that do they do it because of the quality and success of the squads over the Super League years and before. 5,000 isn't unachievable as currently vs Bradford there might be 2,000 with 800 away fans but it would be mostly away fans making the numbers. 

28 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

What proof do you have that they wouldnt? There's far more evidence  to suggest that a club who have doubled their attendances in the last two proper seasons 2017 -2019,  to achieve a 2000 average in the RFL Champ (against the likes of Batley and Swinton) are going to be on the 5000 mark than the wall of negativity on here. 

York FC's owners financial mismanagement, hostile attitude to fans and subsequent  back to back relegations from Football League to conference north has probably got more to do with York residents percieved apathy than a hostility to watching sport.

I don't need proof.I'm not trying to back up a bold statement.Also a 5000 average is'nt going to ser SL alight.For what it's worth I think Fev could reach that average.

50 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

What proof do you have that they wouldnt? There's far more evidence  to suggest that a club who have doubled their attendances in the last two proper seasons 2017 -2019,  to achieve a 2000 average in the RFL Champ (against the likes of Batley and Swinton) are going to be on the 5000 mark than the wall of negativity on here. 

York FC's owners financial mismanagement, hostile attitude to fans and subsequent  back to back relegations from Football League to conference north has probably got more to do with York residents percieved apathy than a hostility to watching sport.

The record of apathy stretches back a hundred years.  I wouldn't like to invest my money on the basis of a couple of years of plenty.

11 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not sure most clubs wouldnt want to be full time.  Think most clubs cant afford without SL money is true.  

Bet York Bulls Fax Fev Widnes Newcastle would all love to be full time. Toulouse and London already are. 

If getting relegated is the demise of the club it suggests there is very little to your club other than SL tv money. 

Newcastle Thunder are full time.Since June.

Last 2 paragraphs - https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12318323/george-williams-newcastle-thunder-a-quality-viable-option-for-half-back-says-chairman-mick-hogan 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

46 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Think moderators on here have already said tedious attacks on an opinion forum is well... tedious. Easier to say you disagree and leave it there.  Both are claims.  At least I produced numbers for mine.

Anybody can make up numbers.

Without COVID and the farcical ticket situation at LNER stadium I think York would currently be averaging 3000. In SL 5000 (IMO) is very achievable especially as both Hull games, the Leeds game and the Cas would be close to or would sell out. And I doubt it would be a man and a dog against Wigan, St Helen’s etc.

BUT....York are a long way off being ready on the pitch and certain areas need tightening up off the pitch. Also as a sport I’d prefer to be talking about 5 figure attendances rather than potential 5k attendances.

13 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not sure most clubs wouldnt want to be full time.  Think most clubs cant afford without SL money is true.  

Bet York Bulls Fax Fev Widnes Newcastle would all love to be full time. Toulouse and London already are. 

If getting relegated is the demise of the club it suggests there is very little to your club other than SL tv money. 

I am afraid that you have very little grasp of the changes that are necessary for a club (business) to shift from PT to FT. It is not simply about money yet you seem convinced that this is all that is involved.

Dropping down a league, and from FT to PT would indeed be traumatic, even if you think that simply represents the weakness of a club. The people involved are actually the real strength of such clubs and could easily be lost in the landslide.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 06/08/2021 at 13:33, OriginalMrC said:

Yes that's equally likely however I get the feeling they'll cut league 1 further to compensate for the huge reduction in funding 

That doesnt make sense as the league1 clubs get less funding so they would want more league 1 clubs to pay out less monies

17 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I am afraid that you have very little grasp of the changes that are necessary for a club (business) to shift from PT to FT. It is not simply about money yet you seem convinced that this is all that is involved.

Dropping down a league, and from FT to PT would indeed be traumatic, even if you think that simply represents the weakness of a club. The people involved are actually the real strength of such clubs and could easily be lost in the landslide.

Indeed, there are a lot of backroom staff that are FT in a FT set up too otherwise the FT players would be stood on a field alone needing to bring a packed lunch and not have any clean equipment. The gym would not be open and the rooms dirty. They also wouldnt have any prep to review in classroom sessions etc..

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Newcastle are not full time well not all the team anyway i have a mate who plays for them reg 1st team player and he's not full time he has a good job outside of rugby i know he told me they wanted him to go full time and move up there but he refused like a few more of the 1st team 

I'm not sure it's wise for a club to cut its entire PT workforce at a stroke.

Rather spread it over two, maybe three, years.  

That in itself has its own issues but there's no obvious easy route.

On 06/08/2021 at 13:53, Griff said:

If you're thinking that what folk are calling SL2 will be similar to "Superleague", I think it's more likely to be closer to "Championship".

No I'm not thinking that way at all, I'm sure most resources will end up with Superleague One and Superleague 2 will be the new "Championship" with enough SKY money to steady their ship and act as a breeding ground for rich owners "potential" SL clubs to build towards being a real SL club like Newcastle, or to rebuild where a rich owners club has had a bad season and dropped out.

Leaving for me the question of 16 clubs who will receive not TV money. Wether that all survive of half of them collapse this is still to play out but a third division with no funding has been done before.

Archived