Barrow a club on the up!

29 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

With in excess of 3000 through the turnstiles at games this year, I've just read the they have sold 1800 tickets for an Oktoberfest event later this year. What are they doing differently. What can other clubs learn from them. Is it a mindset of fans, clubs that need changing?

Sounds like they are making events of each game… encouraging people to attend with a broader event than simply the rugby match. Great to see and straight out of the Wolfpack playbook.

It’s absolutely excellent what they’re doing I’ve got to say. It’s high risk at times, with things such as free entry before 1PM but they’ve realised the benefit of revenue spent away from tickets such as people purchasing two hours worth of beer, merchandise and food before a ball is even kicked.

They're getting their community in and that’s some doing.

Sounds to me that (1) they are turning games into events, (2) they are loss leading with tickets that then lead to other income generation opportunities and (3) putting the effort in to marketing locally. Presumably there is less competition for people’s attention and the club already has a decent profile locally.

3 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

This appears to be an ' event ' after the season has ended.

Beers and music.Hardly original or trendsetting.

So what? If it’s generating money and awareness then it’s a good thing. What do you want, a fancy dress cheese rolling competition? 

It’s the benefit of owning your own stadium. Workington have been staging loads of events after teaming up with Electric Soup who are one of the country’s biggest dance music event promoters. Derwent Park becomes “Soup Arena” for the day. Every event has sold out so far. 

Next weekend is the 2 day “Soup in the Sticks” dance music festival which attracted more than 5,000 people over the 2 days last time they staged it. Town get a cut of the ticket money, all of the bar takings and food concession income plus various other income streams from it. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

48 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I take it every club does a 3 day Oktoberfest then if it’s not original or trendsetting.

26 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

They'll need all the money they can get if promoted to basically get a new team. The older heads of the team don't fancy playing in the championship so wouldn't be going up with them. They'd lose basically their whole pack and a half back

It took a few but we finally got to the negative post we were all waiting for...

3 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Yes and if you make these annual events people put these in their calendar and attend. You don't have to reinvent the wheel all the time. 

I stayed behind after the Bears game a couple of weeks ago and had a fantastic time. If I lived in Barrow I'd be there for everything they put on too. They're making the most of the sunny evenings with the beer and the music and the party atmosphere. It's clearly fun for all the family and all are welcome.

Chatted to fans, players and club officals and didn't want to leave for my train back to Coventry.

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Bet thaz a reight laugh at parties...

Only those with beer and music,thaa knows.

They don't have to be held in the autumn,in draughty rugby league stadiums.

Good luck to those clubs without extremely wealthy benefactors - or central funding.Every method to make money should be explored.I hope it's a success.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

10 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Only those with beer and music,thaa knows.

They don't have to be held in the autumn,in draughty rugby league stadiums.

Good luck to those clubs without extremely wealthy benefactors - or central funding.Every method to make money should be explored.I hope it's a success.

Clubs with wealthy benefactors still look to diversify to make money, same with the central funding. There are however a few clubs who dont that are holding the game back 

Archived