Barrow a club on the up!

I think the current Barrow club are doing a grand job working with what they have at their disposal. 

I really like Craven Park, a central ground surrounded by terraced houses has a real ‘old world’ feel about it, and you are very close tso the action.

But you can’t escape the fact it’s a pre-WW2 stadium and lacks the modern facilities to allow it to operate as a 365 days a year business.

Just a pity the footie and rugby clubs can’t agree to ground share and develop one of the stadium sites  

22 hours ago, Derwent said:

It’s the benefit of owning your own stadium. Workington have been staging loads of events after teaming up with Electric Soup who are one of the country’s biggest dance music event promoters. Derwent Park becomes “Soup Arena” for the day. Every event has sold out so far. 

Next weekend is the 2 day “Soup in the Sticks” dance music festival which attracted more than 5,000 people over the 2 days last time they staged it. Town get a cut of the ticket money, all of the bar takings and food concession income plus various other income streams from it. 

Do Workington Town own Derwent Park? I always thought it was the council. 

7 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I think the current Barrow club are doing a grand job working with what they have at their disposal. 

I really like Craven Park, a central ground surrounded by terraced houses has a real ‘old world’ feel about it, and you are very close tso the action.

But you can’t escape the fact it’s a pre-WW2 stadium and lacks the modern facilities to allow it to operate as a 365 days a year business.

Just a pity the footie and rugby clubs can’t agree to ground share and develop one of the stadium sites  

The ground is looking best it has done for years lots of improvements going on. And as a fan that’s been going to craven park for 30 odd years I would hate us to go in with the football why share the revenue we’re making. Also never seen so many younger generation in the ground on game days as is what we need as a game for the future of the sport. 

15 minutes ago, Butch said:

The ground is looking best it has done for years lots of improvements going on. And as a fan that’s been going to craven park for 30 odd years I would hate us to go in with the football why share the revenue we’re making. Also never seen so many younger generation in the ground on game days as is what we need as a game for the future of the sport. 

I genuinely hope barrow smash it in the Championship. Its always been a great visit and always got on with the local die hard.

Barrow is a bit of a positive story when there's so much crapola in our game. Good on em

I actually just came across this from a couple of months ago. Steve Neale certainly sounds like a chairman that gets what needs to be done to attract fans:

The club have been operating a successful marquee and beer garden inside the ground this year, streaming games through Our League, but are hoping to return with a full crowd this Sunday.

Club chairman Steve Neale said: “Barrow Raiders are determined to grow their crowds which has resulted in this fabulous offer.

“Additionally, we’ve distributed roughly 17,000 season tickets to every child in south Cumbria through our foundation team and their fantastic work.

“There will be community activity on the pitch from 10am this Sunday, followed by a tig and pass festival until 2pm.

“We will be allowing free entry to the North Wales game up to 1:00pm. All you need to do is turn up and provide track and trace information.

“The free entry tickets will be limited so that we conform with our COVID capacity.

“We want kids playing rugby league, they are our fans of tomorrow. I want this ground bouncing with a great atmosphere on Sunday. I remember as a kid Barrow got 5,000 in attendance and that atmosphere is almost addictive.

“A ground that is packed will hopefully make fans want to return and become attractive to those who possibly don’t watch the sport.

“This is a Barrow super Sunday and we want a whole new audience to our games. If you simply want a few drinks and view the game from the marquee then that is great.

“It’s a close ground and a good place to be. We want to create this buzz, this atmosphere and we are wanting these people to return in the future.”

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/58154/barrow-raiders-in-crowd-boosting-initiatives

57 minutes ago, Butch said:

Another club the hat should be doffed to is Fev. Gradually developing there ground. People go on about great signing and good business but getting the seats from Scarborough was superb business. I'm sure Barrow can do the same in some way.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

League 1 this season seems to have been a lottery for clubs this season with regard to Local Council / Area attitudes towards COVID regulations .

Barrow seem to have prospered on the back of a Council that would allow 3000 into the stadium and allow the consumption of alcohol throughout when other clubs were struggling just to get limited numbers of fans into grounds .

Compare that to both the Welsh Clubs who have been through the ringer with over cautious officendom , the Crusaders have had particularly tough only being finally allowed spectators into the ground a couple of games ago after having to move grounds because of regulations .

This isnt a pop at Barrow who's marketing and ideas to increase their crowds has been top notch and their success is richly deserved , but their success should not be used a marker to criticise other clubs at L1 level who have had to fight their own battles with officialdom in 2021.

22 minutes ago, Rach said:

League 1 this season seems to have been a lottery for clubs this season with regard to Local Council / Area attitudes towards COVID regulations .

Barrow seem to have prospered on the back of a Council that would allow 3000 into the stadium and allow the consumption of alcohol throughout when other clubs were struggling just to get limited numbers of fans into grounds .

Compare that to both the Welsh Clubs who have been through the ringer with over cautious officendom , the Crusaders have had particularly tough only being finally allowed spectators into the ground a couple of games ago after having to move grounds because of regulations .

This isnt a pop at Barrow who's marketing and ideas to increase their crowds has been top notch and their success is richly deserved , but their success should not be used a marker to criticise other clubs at L1 level who have had to fight their own battles with officialdom in 2021.

Don’t think the subject is to take a pop at any clubs. But I do personally think all RL clubs from top to bottom should be looking at different ways to get new fans in to all our great clubs grounds. Our the game will die out at pro level. 

I'd love to see Barrow grow and grow. I've always thought that Barrow were the best bet to be out of all the Cumbrian clubs to be a viable Super League club due to it much larger size compared to Whitehaven and Workington with the likes of Millom, Askham and Dalton in Furness all fairly close too.

5 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I genuinely hope barrow smash it in the Championship. Its always been a great visit and always got on with the local die hard.

Barrow is a bit of a positive story when there's so much crapola in our game. Good on em

As much as I like visiting Barrow,appreciate they have good supporters,etc.it isn't always a positive story.

Did they not,like a club close to your heart,bring the sport into disrepute,

https://www.totalrl.com/barrow-raiders-fined-for-coronavirus-breach/

That was without being obstructive and unhelpful to those in authority.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

43 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

As much as I like visiting Barrow,appreciate they have good supporters,etc.it isn't always a positive story.

Take it you're a Whitehaven fan. 😒😒

10 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Jeez.... thaz a proper ray of sunshine thee.

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just had a look.  Barrow average over 2000 in League 1 with a few home games left.  Guaranteed a 'derby' game if they go up and bigger clubs like Widnes and Bulls in the comp. 

Have to hope they can push that to 2,500 next year. 

Who's to say we aren't going up?

Archived