Young home grown Half Backs

After a number of years with very few quality young Half Backs being produced we suddenly seem to be getting a few appearing in Super League. We need these young lads to continue playing at the highest level and not get sidelined by overseas players just here for a final pay day.

We've currently got Williams who’s in his mid 20s and proven at the highest level and Gale who’s never really been International standard and is now approaching his mid 30s. Ratchford who again is just below the standard required and fast approaching the tail end of his career. While Widdop was largely developed at Melbourne.

The young players coming through offer a bit of hope for the future should Australia ever decide to play outside of NSW and Queensland ever again!

• Harry Smith - Wigan
  • Olly Russel - Huddersfield
  • Will Price - Huddersfield
  • Lewis Dodd - Sts
  • Jake Truman - Bradford/Cas
  • Mikey Lewis - HKR

Behind these there’s also Atkin, Richardson & Abdul who still have time to find some form and consistency during their careers

Have I missed anyone?

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

After a number of years with very few quality young Half Backs being produced we suddenly seem to be getting a few appearing in Super League. We need these young lads to continue playing at the highest level and not get sidelined by overseas players just here for a final pay day.

We've currently got Williams who’s in his mid 20s and proven at the highest level and Gale who’s never really been International standard and is now approaching his mid 30s. Ratchford who again is just below the standard required and fast approaching the tail end of his career. While Widdop was largely developed at Melbourne.

The young players coming through offer a bit of hope for the future should Australia ever decide to play outside of NSW and Queensland ever again!

• Harry Smith - Wigan
  • Lewis Dodd - Sts
  • Mikey Lewis - HKR

Behind these there’s also Atkin, Richardson & Abdul who still have time to find some form and consistency during their careers

Have I missed anyone?

Not very inspired by the names on that list. I’ve only been impressed by Will Pryce. Leeds have a promising young Jack Sinfield coming through at half back. 

46 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Lomax doesn't organise like Gale does though and gales kicking game is far better.

If our halfs are Lomax and Williams there would be no real vocal leadership on the pitch, but Gale can do that.

I’m sorry you have such bad opinions. Gale with shredded wheat isn’t fit to lace slap head Gale’s boots. 

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

• Harry Smith - Wigan
  • Lewis Dodd - Sts
  • Mikey Lewis - HKR

Have I missed anyone?

I agree with these names, some very bright prospects, apart from:

Richardson, destined for a career in the Championship, seems to have a bad attitude.

Truman, can't remember the last time I saw him have a good game, although tbf he seems to have spent much of the last 2 years injured.

Abdull is 25 so not exactly young, seen him play very well but seems inconsistent.

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

• Harry Smith - Wigan
  • Lewis Dodd - Sts
  • Mikey Lewis - HKR

Have I missed anyone?

And more coming through, some amazing talent in the Academy set ups, Covid though has dinted much of their development which is a shame. The players listed here were on the fringes if not in 1st before covid, those a year behind are playing catch up 

3 hours ago, OMEGA said:

• Harry Smith - Wigan
  • Lewis Dodd - Sts
  • Mikey Lewis - HKR

Have I missed anyone?

Is this how create an emergence of competitive international RL in the NH?

2025 World Cup

Wales

6: Josh Ralph

7: Lewis Dodd

England

6: Will Pryce

7: Harry Smith

Ireland

6: Toby Sexton

7: Riley Dean

France

6: Arthur Mourgue

7: Theo Fages

Scotland

6: Callum McLelland

7: Bailey Hayward (19 y/o impressive Bulldogs NRL)

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m sorry you have such bad opinions. Gale with shredded wheat isn’t fit to lace slap head Gale’s boots. 

Any need to abuse the players rather than sticking to their playing abilities?

Lewis Dodd looks the best of the bunch to me (of the one's I have seen).

But on the wider discussion.  As I have said a few times on here, despite all the possible variables, the area where we have been furthest behind the Australians for as long as I can remember is the tactical kicking.

We have often said our forwards are a match and maybe they were but not when you are trying to gain dominance while your opposition has the likes of Cooper Cronk and Jonathan Thurston (not to mention Cam Smith) and their strangling kicking game.

And now they have Nathan Cleary who is as good as any of them in game management. 

Which brings me to... which of these half backs will bring that level of game management to their game.  I thought Harry Smith had as good a kicking game as I had seen at junior level but is he progressing as well as we would want?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Harry Smith needs to rid his game of the really basic errors he’s making on a weekly basis. Outside of those,  he comes up with some amazing plays but they’re hurting him. He seems to take the ultra attacking option at every point in the game but he needs to learn to manage games and to pick his moments. If he does that he can be whatever he wants to be. 

15 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Harry Smith needs to rid his game of the really basic errors he’s making on a weekly basis. Outside of those,  he comes up with some amazing plays but they’re hurting him. He seems to take the ultra attacking option at every point in the game but he needs to learn to manage games and to pick his moments. If he does that he can be whatever he wants to be. 

Bit in bold. He’s a kid. And an incredibly talented one. If he learns from the mistakes he is making, he’ll be a cracker. We are too quick to dump kids over here; usually due to the intense pressure and expectation from supporters - who expect top class quality immediately. 

We’re in a rut, we’re not producing them. It’s easier to produce big back rowers because they’re ready made. Rubbish junior coaches coaching on structure cos Michael Maguire told them wedge for a wedge for a wedge is good.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

8 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Bit in bold. He’s a kid. And an incredibly talented one. If he learns from the mistakes he is making, he’ll be a cracker. We are too quick to dump kids over here; usually due to the intense pressure and expectation from supporters - who expect top class quality immediately. 

Good point.  They are young men and it really is essential that they have a good team around them to shine imo.

I always thought Hull would live to regret letting Abdul go and not sticking with him.

16 hours ago, OMEGA said:

• Harry Smith - Wigan
  • Lewis Dodd - Sts
  • Mikey Lewis - HKR

Have I missed anyone?

At this precise moment I would put Abdul head and shoulders above his contemporaries, admittedly he has played longer than the others but for mine he is not void of many skills in running a game.

Must say I am looking forward to seeing him in the flesh today at Leigh, on each of his last 3 visits to the LSV he has been by far the best and most influential player on the pitch.

Williams, Ratchford, Lomax, Gale, Widdop

• Harry Smith - Wigan
  • Lewis Dodd - Sts
  • Rowan Milnes - HKR
  • Mikey Lewis - HKR
  • Riley Dean - Warrington

Behind these there’s also Atkin, Richardson, Abdul, Patton

On 07/08/2021 at 16:44, OMEGA said:

• Harry Smith - Wigan
  • Lewis Dodd - Sts
  • Mikey Lewis - HKR

Have I missed anyone?

Not being funny but if Patton, Richardson or Abdul were ever to be international players you'd think they'd be somewhere close by now in their careers, they aren't and i doubt they ever will be anywhere near with some of the names already around.

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

Not being funny but if Patton, Richardson or Abdul were ever to be international players you'd think they'd be somewhere close by now in their careers, they aren't and i doubt they ever will be anywhere near with some of the names already around.

Maybe so but all of them are still in their early to mid 20s so I won’t write them off just yet

Archived