Super League ready

Another incredible result from Toulouse beating the recent Super League side London Broncos 66-6. Toulouse have now scored 522 points while only conceding 100 points across their 11 game unbeaten season so far. Toulouse are Super League ready, it was a foolish decision not to promote them last year, the Super League in 2022 will be a much better competition with Toulouse replacing the relegated bottom placed side.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Another incredible result from Toulouse beating the recent Super League side London Broncos 66-6. Toulouse have now scored 522 points while only conceding 100 points across their 11 game unbeaten season so far. Toulouse are Super League ready, it was a foolish decision not to promote them last year, the Super League in 2022 will be a much better competition with Toulouse replacing the relegated bottom placed side.

If they are that good - they don't really take UK players, so they should just up the top league to 12 sides, remove loop fixtures and have a couple of international weekends.

Simple.

I was there and London are woeful. It is 50% a team of Academy players who are too small and inexperienced. So whilst good, I would not read anything into the result.

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Given the Covid situation 12 months ago it was a sensible cautious approach to select an English side. I don't think the extra 12 months has done Toulouse any harm at all, they have strengthened well and (assuming they go up) will be all the better for it in whatever format the SL dreams up for 2022. 

I'm hoping they will be welcomed into SL with open arms, the ability of the NRL to decide what happens in RL shows how badly we need to support the French game. Hopefully the RLWC debacle will drive that thinking (not holding my breath mind you). 

1 minute ago, Whippet13 said:

Given the Covid situation 12 months ago it was a sensible cautious approach to select an English side. I don't think the extra 12 months has done Toulouse any harm at all, they have strengthened well and (assuming they go up) will be all the better for it in whatever format the SL dreams up for 2022. 

I'm hoping they will be welcomed into SL with open arms, the ability of the NRL to decide what happens in RL shows how badly we need to support the French game. Hopefully the RLWC debacle will drive that thinking (not holding my breath mind you). 

We say that, but Catalans (a French side) are one of the teams to have played the most matches without cancellations this year. Might have been safer 😳 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I know they have had no home games this season, so does anyone have a handle on likely attendances if they do go up? From memory they were about 1,750 prior to COVID?

7 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I know they have had no home games this season, so does anyone have a handle on likely attendances if they do go up? From memory they were about 1,750 prior to COVID?

Some people in this forum seem to think they’ll suddenly get 10k every week. I’d have though 3-4k for their first SL season would be more realistic and not disastrous. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Some people in this forum seem to think they’ll suddenly get 10k every week. I’d have though 3-4k for their first SL season would be more realistic and not disastrous. 

Agreed. Of course a "local" derby twice a year would be great for both them and Cats as well. 

17 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Is there an echo in your house Kev?

I seem to recall you and many others telling us how good Toronto will be in SL, stop making wild assumptions we will see soon enough how good they are competing in SL each week, and if they do go up I would expect that quite a few of their forwards will be exchanged for younger fresher blood, they collectively are getting a bit long in the tooth for the rigours of weekly competion that will not stand there and be run over as they are experiencing in the Championship. When older player's recieve injuries their recuperation and recovery time extends, I honestly think the Toulouse forwards as they are at present will struggle to compete all season, want a good example look at the Dad's army that Brian Noble assembled at Salford all good seasoned SL professionals individually but not all that good when grouped together as one unit.

They’ll be Super League ready when they win the Championship Grand Final and gain promotion. Till then, they’re the standout team in the Championship and nothing more. Toronto (remember them?) showed that you can win every week in league games but if you don’t win the Final, it matters little. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They’ll be Super League ready when they win the Championship Grand Final and gain promotion. Till then, they’re the standout team in the Championship and nothing more. Toronto (remember them?) showed that you can win every week in league games but if you don’t win the Final, it matters little. 

Even eventually winning the GF didn't make Toronto SL ready as results prooved.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Even eventually winning the GF didn't make Toronto SL ready as results prooved.

Depends if SL decides to shaft Toulouse like they did Leigh and Toronto with funding.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

Depends if SL decides to shaft Toulouse like they did Leigh and Toronto with funding.

That can't be ruled out, but it does pose the question they are obviously not SL ready with this team beating all in front of them, they will need the funding to improve the playing roster.

49 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

London only named 15 players, hardly the best test.

I would have expected Leigh to perform as well in the Championship as Toulouse have done this year (and play a lot more games)

That's not to say Toulouse wouldn't do okay in SL, its not as clear cut as is being made out

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

That can't be ruled out, but it does pose the question they are obviously not SL ready with this team beating all in front of them, they will need the funding to improve the playing roster.

They are just more super league ready that everyone else in that league, which, given we have Promotion and Relegation, means they are super league ready.

Toulouse dodged a bullet being given another season to prepare for SL.

As much as Leigh coming in was always going to be terrible, Toulouse coming in would have jeopardised something potentially quite special.

Can't wait to see them in SL.  A club with potential - glory be.

Just now, Spidey said:

London only named 15 players, hardly the best test.

I would have expected Leigh to perform as well in the Championship as Toulouse have done this year (and play a lot more games)

That's not to say Toulouse wouldn't do okay in SL, its not as clear cut as is being made out

London had 17 players.

They put out kids - but they had 17.

Just now, FearTheVee said:

Toulouse dodged a bullet being given another season to prepare for SL.

As much as Leigh coming in was always going to be terrible, Toulouse coming in would have jeopardised something potentially quite special.

Can't wait to see them in SL.  A club with potential - glory be.

Surprised Leigh didn't get Paul Rowley back to give the band one last tour. 

I just don't see how anyone can compare Toulouse with Toronto. Apart from both being 'forrin', there's no comparison. Chalk and fromage.

I'd rate that Toulouse side roughly on a par with Wakefield and Salford. Very unlikely challenging for the play-offs, but not a Leigh-style winless embarrassment either.   

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I just don't see how anyone can compare Toulouse with Toronto. Apart from both being 'forrin', there's no comparison. Chalk and fromage.

I'd rate that Toulouse side roughly on a par with Wakefield and Salford. Very unlikely challenging for the play-offs, but not a Leigh-style winless embarrassment either.   

When people were making this comparison yesterday on the match thread I didn't understand it either. Most of Toronto's problems came from the distance they and other teams had to travel and thus the costs incurred by that. I imagine the administrative problems the distances and costs brought about were a nightmare as well. Toronto also had to grow a completely unknown sport in a new market. 

Toulouse have been competing in English leagues for a few years now without too much difficulty and certainly the costs for teams of travelling to France another time won't be anywhere near as big a problem as a trip to Toronto would have been. Its not like teams would be stepping into the unknown like with Toronto because they've been travelling to Catalans for years. The two situations really can't be compared. 

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Where do you see the difference? When I look at the TO squad I see a very similar blend of players to what TWP put out in its abortive SL season: antipodean imports who aren't quite good enough for NRL, and ex SL players who either never quite cut it at that level, or once could but have faded of late. Plus no SBW!

Where do you see the quality difference in Toulouse? Like every promoted team, they'll have to add significant quality if they want to stay up, as the difference between SL and Championship is a chasm these days. 

The thing is waiting for Toulouse to win a promotion in October for a Feb start in 2020, realistically who can they sign to be more competitive than they are? It is an age old story.

There are a lot of pretty exciting top NRL players off contract but none will opt for Toulouse because there is no certainty until mid-October. The system is flawed and stacked towards the incumbents of SL.

Archived