Super League ready

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Will all those French players stay with them in Super League, or will they look to upgrade their squad?

No doubt French RL will be on the up with Toulouse in SL I think we’ll see the impact in the following World Cup not this one

Without question more Antipodeans and Brits will be employed at Toulouse, they already have an ageing pack that will require improvement, not (yet) enough quality French lads, my source for this information Caralan Dragons.

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi DS obviously people have different opinions, there are some who believe Toulouse gain entry to SL suddenly 5 times as many people from circa 2,000 (generous estimate, subtracting away fans) to 10,000 will suddenly appear. 

You say it is a Rugby Union stronghold which by all accounts it most certainly is which brings me to the question, are the Unionists going to transfer a most probable lifelong allegiance to their sport over to RL, if the boot was on the other foot (no pun intended) and a top union club came to a RL stronghold would RL fans visit there instead? how well supported has Orrell been in Wigan, or Leeds Carnegie in that fair city, have they made much of a dent in transferring Leaguies over.

Catalan enjoys good support from visiting UK fans, and I imagine initially those who have expierenced Perpignan will want to try Toulouse, I doubt many fans will be able to afford visits to both clubs each season, I would also expect good crowds because of inter city rivalry to attend the 'Derby' matches initially time will tell if the novelty wears off.

I am on the fence of how well Toulouse will do supporter wise in Toulouse for the reason you state, and I am prepared to await the evidence without making assumptions one way or the other.

Do those Union fans have to transfer allegiance or can they simply attend both and have year long “rugby”

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Without question more Antipodeans and Brits will be employed at Toulouse, they already have an ageing pack that will require improvement, not (yet) enough quality French lads, my source for this information Caralan Dragons.

Didn’t the Catalans have 11 French players in the squad against Saints last week ?

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi DS obviously people have different opinions, there are some who believe Toulouse gain entry to SL suddenly 5 times as many people from circa 2,000 (generous estimate, subtracting away fans) to 10,000 will suddenly appear. 

You say it is a Rugby Union stronghold which by all accounts it most certainly is which brings me to the question, are the Unionists going to transfer a most probable lifelong allegiance to their sport over to RL, if the boot was on the other foot (no pun intended) and a top union club came to a RL stronghold would RL fans visit there instead? how well supported has Orrell been in Wigan, or Leeds Carnegie in that fair city, have they made much of a dent in transferring Leaguies over.

Catalan enjoys good support from visiting UK fans, and I imagine initially those who have expierenced Perpignan will want to try Toulouse, I doubt many fans will be able to afford visits to both clubs each season, I would also expect good crowds because of inter city rivalry to attend the 'Derby' matches initially time will tell if the novelty wears off.

I am on the fence of how well Toulouse will do supporter wise in Toulouse for the reason you state, and I am prepared to await the evidence without making assumptions one way or the other.

It is 2021 not 1944. Most people under 35 will not even know about the RU/RL rivalry.

I am sure there will be memberships offered for 12 months of the year covering both sports. Memberships covering just RU and memberships covering just RL. They are completely different markets - Stade Toulousain are playing in the French Top 14 League and Toulouse the UK Super League. 

How is it any different from what Leeds did? In fact for the first few years it will probably look very similar with Stade being near capacity most weeks (15k to 18k) and Olympique getting 5k or so with 10k+ for blockbusters like the French derby or Wigan or Leeds.

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Didn’t the Catalans have 11 French players in the squad against Saints last week ?

Yes, but were they good enough without some of the imports who were absent from the team? That is the question I posed that they will be visiting the Southern Hemisphere and British markets.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Yes, but were they good enough without some of the imports who were absent from the team? That is the question I posed that they will be visiting the Southern Hemisphere and British markets.

The Union side had 14 imports in its squad for the recent 2020/21 season. 

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It is 2021 not 1944. Most people under 35 will not even know about the RU/RL rivalry.

I am sure there will be memberships offered for 12 months of the year covering both sports. Memberships covering just RU and memberships covering just RL. They are completely different markets - Stade Toulousain are playing in the French Top 14 League and Toulouse the UK Super League. 

How is it any different from what Leeds did? In fact for the first few years it will probably look very similar with Stade being near capacity most weeks (15k to 18k) and Olympique getting 5k or so with 10k+ for blockbusters like the French derby or Wigan or Leeds.

No mention of Rivalry between the sports in what I said Scubs, just preferance.

Good idea for for joint memberships, that could work.

Last paragraph, crystal ball statement.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You could say the same about any English club though or are we judging French clubs differently ?

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And?

There are more overseas imports in the French RU than in any other domestic Rugby competition in the World. No one there cares where the players come from they just want to see the best. Toulouse RL will be the same and, as you say, will probably have more overseas players in the 17 each week than French.

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You could say the same about any English club though or are we judging French clubs differently ?

No they will get equal terms, equal central distribution et al. What you implying @Davo5? That SL clubs are not only xenophobic but southophobic! 😄 

52 minutes ago, Scubby said:

There are more overseas imports in the French RU than in any other domestic Rugby competition in the World. No one there cares where the players come from they just want to see the best. Toulouse RL will be the same and, as you say, will probably have more overseas players in the 17 each week than French.

Scubs, all I implied is that they will need to improve their playing roster and if they require the quality to compete it won't be from French nationals.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Scubs, all I implied is that they will need to improve their playing roster and if they require the quality to compete it won't be from French nationals.

I agree but many people on here and other places are using it against their aspirations. They feel it is their duty to improve the French national side and should be grateful of an invitation to 'Our League' (literally).

Good luck to Toulouse next year I hope they get that spot in SL.

Be interesting to see if they are the saviours of SL that everybody is guaranteeing on here. 

Same as when Toronto arrived and were going to shake up SL and win the comp within 3 years. Let’s see how many of the posters on here are still banging the drum when Toulouse are rock bottom and presented with the same sobering problems faced by Leigh currently.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

How well has attendances been for other prompoted clubs, what percentage increase did widnes, leigh and hull kr gain when promoted?

8 minutes ago, binosh said:

Good luck to Toulouse next year I hope they get that spot in SL.

Be interesting to see if they are the saviours of SL that everybody is guaranteeing on here. 

Same as when Toronto arrived and were going to shake up SL and win the comp within 3 years. Let’s see how many of the posters on here are still banging the drum when Toulouse are rock bottom and presented with the same sobering problems faced by Leigh currently.

Toronto were kicked out (they made a rod for their own back) we do not know what would have happened otherwise

4 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Toronto were kicked out (they made a rod for their own back) we do not know what would have happened otherwise

No they weren’t? They failed to fulfill their fixtures as they failed to pay their players. They kicked themselves out.

1 minute ago, binosh said:

No they weren’t? They failed to fulfill their fixtures as they failed to pay their players. They kicked themselves out.

The NRL spent tens of millions of $$$ relocating the Warriors (and now the whole 16 teams) to save the integrity of the competition and secure the future. 

Not only did SL refuse to give Toronto a penny, they did not offer to help them get through the 2020 season financially without the ability to trade in Canada. So yes, they failed and a lot of people were happy - and a few sht clubs were relieved. 

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The NRL spent tens of millions of $$$ relocating the Warriors (and now the whole 16 teams) to save the integrity of the competition and secure the future. 

Not only did SL refuse to give Toronto a penny, they did not offer to help them get through the 2020 season financially without the ability to trade in Canada. So yes, they failed and a lot of people were happy - and a few sht clubs were relieved. 

The NRL can afford too.

Just now, binosh said:

The NRL can afford too.

No it can't. It just can't afford to lose the integrity of the NRL competition and it values its commercial offering to broadcasters before small time thinking.

SL got the TV deal it deserved post Toronto - reduced money for 2 years and put on notice to sort your #### out! I'm not sure we are listening.

I've just watched the Toulouse v London match and at half time, the highlights of Toulouse v Featherstone.

London were overwhelmed but Toulouse looked slick (and strong). Featherstone were also very good and I really enjoyed the highlights. 

I wish I had more information about the viewing figures for these Our League streamed games.

If the mainstream tv companies are not interested in championship RL then I can tell you emphatically, that I am and I'm willing to pay for the privilege. 

You folks might argue, but I'd say I'm not that unusual, so there must be many others out there like me and surely this could become a decent alternative income stream for the game.

Are the Our League streamed matches available across Europe?  

25 minutes ago, binosh said:

Nope a new owner had a plan to continue and agreed to pay all monies owed, they were kicked out. 

Other SL clubs have come into issues including not fullfilling fixtures and new owners were allowed to take over.

Didnt Harlequins rebrand as Broncos under new owners, never paid their crediters around 5 million and continued in SL

Sure Crusaders did this also when they relocated north.

The fixtures issue was a covid issue including visas etc..

8 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Nope a new owner had a plan to continue and agreed to pay all monies owed, they were kicked out. 

Other SL clubs have come into issues including not fullfilling fixtures and new owners were allowed to take over.

Didnt Harlequins rebrand as Broncos under new owners, never paid their crediters around 5 million and continued in SL

Sure Crusaders did this also when they relocated north.

The fixtures issue was a covid issue including visas etc..

Without going back over well-trodden old ground, the Toronto money problems were evident long before Covid and their business plan made no sense at all (hey look, we're building a big male grooming brand that will make everyone rich!)

Archived