Super League ready

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

How well has attendances been for other prompoted clubs, what percentage increase did widnes, leigh and hull kr gain when promoted?

Hi yips, I will throw it back and ask how many people were predicting Leigh and HKR would benefit from crowds t tines what they were getting, Leigh in '17 averaged 6,500 at the LSV if Toulouse do they same when they are promoted they will have done very well, I think.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Scubby said:

No it can't. It just can't afford to lose the integrity of the NRL competition and it values its commercial offering to broadcasters before small time thinking.

SL got the TV deal it deserved post Toronto - reduced money for 2 years and put on notice to sort your #### out! I'm not sure we are listening.

Do you consider the reduction and threat from Sky are of a direct connection to Toronto or your suggested League's failures in respect of Toronto?

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you consider the reduction and threat from Sky are of a direct connection to Toronto or your suggested League's failures in respect of Toronto?

I think a huge beast like Sky will take full advantage of a vulnerable partner - regardless of the Toronto situation.

Remember SL had to go to Sky last season and say "sorry, our 12 team competition is now an 11-team competition" mid-season. Then it had to renegotiate with Sky while it was assessing bids from Championship teams - who on approval they were going to kneecap by giving them only 60% central funding in relation to other clubs. 

That is basically a free pass for Sky to put SL in its place is it not? 

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think a huge beast like Sky will take full advantage of a vulnerable partner - regardless of the Toronto situation.

Remember SL had to go to Sky last season and say "sorry, our 12 team competition is now an 11-team competition" mid-season. Then it had to renegotiate with Sky while it was assessing bids from Championship teams - who on approval they were going to kneecap by giving them only 60% central funding in relation to other clubs. 

That is basically a free pass for Sky to put SL in its place is it not? 

Yep, your last sentance shows SL's vulnerability, and like a player moaning they have hurt their arm SL was highlighting their weak spot to attack.

2 hours ago, binosh said:

Good luck to Toulouse next year I hope they get that spot in SL.

Be interesting to see if they are the saviours of SL that everybody is guaranteeing on here. 

Same as when Toronto arrived and were going to shake up SL and win the comp within 3 years. Let’s see how many of the posters on here are still banging the drum when Toulouse are rock bottom and presented with the same sobering problems faced by Leigh currently.

Literally no one is calling Toulouse the saviours of Superleague though.

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yeah is does get tiring with people building their straw men. Are they saviours? No. Will Tou increase the exposure and marketability of RL in France and provide another pathway for French players? Yes. Will Toulouse vs Catalan be another solid rivalry game to add to SL´s commercial and TV offer? Absolutely. 

Yeap,saviours no,a positive addition to the Superleague,absolutely and I’m sure Sky will be more than happy to take any free feed of their home games that Toulouse can come up with.

Just now, Davo5 said:

Yeap,saviours no,a positive addition to the Superleague,absolutely and I’m sure Sky will be more than happy to take any free feed of their home games that Toulouse can come up with.

You’re saying what you think there, not what everyone else thinks. Really can’t be ar5ed to argue about it but people on this forum regularly say we ‘need’ TO in SL. 

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

They really don’t.

They really don’t.

They really do and you’re just trying to be hard work.

”Toulouse bring miles more to SL”

”Toulouse bring a major culture capital to SL”

”Toulouse will bring revenue & sponsorship to SL”

”Sky will love another french team in the league and derby with Catalan”

“How we can we sell the rights for more money by bringing in Leigh over a major french city”

Now stop being a #### and go and have look back through the hundreds of pages of comments about how Toulouse are going to revolutionise SL Europe and help get this massive TV deal that Sky are with holding because we don’t have a league full of major UK & European cities.

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

To be fair, a lot of people on this forum do seem to think they are, along with York and Newcastle. 

Perhaps people are looking at their potential for growth vs the existing stagnated growth we have seen.

3 minutes ago, binosh said:

They really do and you’re just trying to be hard work.

”Toulouse bring miles more to SL”

”Toulouse bring a major culture capital to SL”

”Toulouse will bring revenue & sponsorship to SL”

”Sky will love another french team in the league and derby with Catalan”

“How we can we sell the rights for more money by bringing in Leigh over a major french city”

Now stop being a #### and go and have look back through the hundreds of pages of comments about how Toulouse are going to revolutionise SL Europe and help get this massive TV deal that Sky are with holding because we don’t have a league full of major UK & European cities.

And those are qualities Toulouse could easily bring to the table,none of which makes them saviours so stop using that ridiculous & untrue quote as a stick to beat them with.

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You’re saying what you think there, not what everyone else thinks. Really can’t be ar5ed to argue about it but people on this forum regularly say we ‘need’ TO in SL. 

Needing or wanting Toulouse in Superleague isn’t calling them the saviours though,now is it.

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Needing or wanting Toulouse in Superleague isn’t calling them the saviours though,now is it.

Well if you’re being pedantic maybe people don’t use the expression saviours, but it’s the just of what people are saying. 

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

SL does need new teams who have the ability to grow the sport in areas with new markets and for new sponsors. Stands to reason that when one of those is staring the sport in the face, people will be exicted about it. 

I know, I’d like to see them in SL too (and other forward thinking clubs to replace or in addition to the bottom feeding dross that’s already there). TO have a long way to go though, particularly with their attendances. 

Shock.

Same culprits who claimed Toronto were the new saviours of SL and then Toulouse are all disappearing into the shadows or pulling the handbrakes up sharpish now that it looks like Toulouse will actually do it.

Same people with the who said we can’t put Leigh or Featherstone in because they’re small northern pit villages.

For the good of SL and it’s credibility it has to be Toulouse or York they’re so cultural and offer so much more to SL.

I can’t wait to see what they bring.

16 minutes ago, binosh said:

Shock.

Same culprits who claimed Toronto were the new saviours of SL and then Toulouse are all disappearing into the shadows or pulling the handbrakes up sharpish now that it looks like Toulouse will actually do it.

Same people with the who said we can’t put Leigh or Featherstone in because they’re small northern pit villages.

For the good of SL and it’s credibility it has to be Toulouse or York they’re so cultural and offer so much more to SL.

I can’t wait to see what they bring.

If Toulouse do get promoted they will have earned that right unlike your team and if they actually manage to be competitive they will have brought more to Superleague than your team and again highlighting the positives they could bring to the comp if they get promoted is not hailing them as saviours.

46 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Well I read the forum and yes they do. 

31 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Well if you’re being pedantic maybe people don’t use the expression saviours, but it’s the just of what people are saying. 

Right So posters don’t hail Toulouse as saviours of Superleague but highlighting the potential positives their promotion may bring does.

The complexities of a RL forum eh 

3 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Without going back over well-trodden old ground, the Toronto money problems were evident long before Covid and their business plan made no sense at all (hey look, we're building a big male grooming brand that will make everyone rich!)

Since you have gone back over old ground, no their money problems weren't evident at all. They were willing and able to spend more than the wage cap and requested to do so,  hardly the actions of a team struggling to pay wages. But then along came a little thing called covid....

44 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

If Toulouse do get promoted they will have earned that right unlike your team and if they actually manage to be competitive they will have brought more to Superleague than your team and again highlighting the positives they could bring to the comp if they get promoted is not hailing them as saviours.

Even though they are my team, I’m not of an IQ that means I don’t appreciate other teams and the features & benefits they may bring to the top table.

What irks me is that people like yourself don’t understand that Leigh did SL a favour by agreeing to step in and fulfill a fixture list on less money than everyone else and agreed to be whipping boys for a season so not to jeopardise the Sky TV funding for the other SL teams, so on that respect they were “SL ready” ie full time, stadium that can take a TV camera and a crowd and not be embarrassing on TV etc etc.

Secondly, since that point more than a few posters, You, Man of Kent, Sir Kevin Sinfield just to name a few have all stated on multiple occasions that Leigh was the wrong choice, that York, Toulouse or London offer MORE to SL than Leigh, that the game was corrupt for putting Leigh in and it was all favouritism and back handlers and that the inclusion of Leigh is “insular” and it’s no wonder sky have reduced funding. So therefore, by default by promoting one of Toulouse, York or London by whichever format ( selection or promotion) is by you’re own definition going to make them saviours of SL and a huge new TV package will be forthcoming.

Its in writing, In black & white over the last 9 months with other posters confirming what I’m saying, go and re-visit it rather than sit here denying it and changing your tune now you’re called out on it like an Internet forum Boris Johnson.

5 minutes ago, Hello said:

Since you have gone back over old ground, no their money problems weren't evident at all. They were willing and able to spend more than the wage cap and requested to do so,  hardly the actions of a team struggling to pay wages. But then along came a little thing called covid....

Yep I'm sure they signed SBW to show off around the Arndale Centre on a wet Wednesday afternoon.

Archived