Super League ready

3 minutes ago, binosh said:

Even though they are my team, I’m not of an IQ that means I don’t appreciate other teams and the features & benefits they may bring to the top table.

What irks me is that people like yourself don’t understand that Leigh did SL a favour by agreeing to step in and fulfill a fixture list on less money than everyone else and agreed to be whipping boys for a season so not to jeopardise the Sky TV funding for the other SL teams, so on that respect they were “SL ready” ie full time, stadium that can take a TV camera and a crowd and not be embarrassing on TV etc etc.

Secondly, since that point more than a few posters, You, Man of Kent, Sir Kevin Sinfield just to name a few have all stated on multiple occasions that Leigh was the wrong choice, that York, Toulouse or London offer MORE to SL than Leigh, that the game was corrupt for putting Leigh in and it was all favouritism and back handlers and that the inclusion of Leigh is “insular” and it’s no wonder sky have reduced funding. So therefore, by default by promoting one of Toulouse, York or London by whichever format ( selection or promotion) is by you’re own definition going to make them saviours of SL and a huge new TV package will be forthcoming.

Its in worsting. In black & white over the last 9 months, go and re-visit it rather than sit here denying it and changing your time now you’re called out on it like an Internet forum Boris Johnson.

Leigh were the right choice. Only because the terms were you get 60% of the rest, you are on the M62, you will happily take the odds of losing every game and be relegated in the first year (no protection).

It was the terms that were wrong not the club who got chosen. They happily found a gambling-type owner who may reappear on Judge Rinder if Leigh are relegated on percentages.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, binosh said:

Even though they are my team, I’m not of an IQ that means I don’t appreciate other teams and the features & benefits they may bring to the top table.

What irks me is that people like yourself don’t understand that Leigh did SL a favour by agreeing to step in and fulfill a fixture list on less money than everyone else and agreed to be whipping boys for a season so not to jeopardise the Sky TV funding for the other SL teams, so on that respect they were “SL ready” ie full time, stadium that can take a TV camera and a crowd and not be embarrassing on TV etc etc.

Secondly, since that point more than a few posters, You, Man of Kent, Sir Kevin Sinfield just to name a few have all stated on multiple occasions that Leigh was the wrong choice, that York, Toulouse or London offer MORE to SL than Leigh, that the game was corrupt for putting Leigh in and it was all favouritism and back handlers and that the inclusion of Leigh is “insular” and it’s no wonder sky have reduced funding. So therefore, by default by promoting one of Toulouse, York or London by whichever format ( selection or promotion) is by you’re own definition going to make them saviours of SL and a huge new TV package will be forthcoming.

Its in writing, In black & white over the last 9 months with other posters confirming what I’m saying, go and re-visit it rather than sit here denying it and changing your tune now you’re called out on it like an Internet forum Boris Johnson.

You really do need to get out more 😂

Leigh didn’t do anyone any favours,your owners ego got the better of him and he then pinned his hopes on the removal of relegation this year which has backfired.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Chicken and egg but I´ve done that to death here. Let them play Leeds, Wigan and Catalan and we´re not going to be worrying about their attendances. Will be matching Huddersfield easy. 

Wow, matching Huddersfield!

Now that is not very good for a big cosmopolitan city, more sponsers than Macmillans, and multiple millionaire investors is it?

17 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yep I'm sure they signed SBW to show off around the Arndale Centre on a wet Wednesday afternoon.

No disrespect but he may have been more use doing that other than playing, once very good YES, one of the greats MOST PROBABLY, his performances for Toronto not much to write home about.

Now if you tell me he was brought in for publicity and exposure then yes show him around the Arndale Centre on a wet Wednesday afternoon.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

No disrespect but he may have been more use doing that other than playing, once very good YES, one of the greats MOST PROBABLY, his performances for Toronto not much to write home about.

Now if you tell me he was brought in for publicity and exposure then yes show him around the Arndale Centre on a wet Wednesday afternoon.

For a North American franchise he was brought in for exactly that. PR and commercial engagement and fundraising. 

I don't buy the bit about Toulouse attendances knowing the French they will turn up for a major elite league en mass (Super League) Toulouse currently attracting 1000/1500/2000 + whatever will have no bearing on it/

x111 Catalan were averaging around 500 the year before SL only time they went up was for the local derby v Pia then around 2000 (Although one New Year it was played at USAP and attracted 7000 which was a one off promotion) x111 Catalan were always a bigger draw playing away due to the general French dislike of the French Catalans LOL:)

Toulouse will average 10000 easily and as for the match v Catalan Dragons at home it will be a rare SL SELL OUT 🙂

Paul

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I don't buy the bit about Toulouse attendances knowing the French they will turn up for a major elite league en mass (Super League) Toulouse currently attracting 1000/1500/2000 + whatever will have no bearing on it/

x111 Catalan were averaging around 500 the year before SL only time they went up was for the local derby v Pia then around 2000 (Although one New Year it was played at USAP and attracted 7000 which was a one off promotion) x111 Catalan were always a bigger draw playing away due to the general French dislike of the French Catalans LOL:)

Toulouse will average 10000 easily and as for the match v Catalan Dragons at home it will be a rare SL SELL OUT 🙂

Paul

You seriously think they’d average 10k in their first season in SL? If that was true it would be fantastic, though I’m not holding my breath despite your far superior knowledge of France. 

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You seriously think they’d average 10k in their first season in SL? If that was true it would be fantastic, though I’m not holding my breath despite your far superior knowledge of France. 

Nobody expected the Dragons to draw any more than 3/4000 in their first season the lowest crowd from memory was around 4500 v Hull FC which had to be moved to Narbonne right in the middle of the summer (I remember it well as I hosted a pre match lunch for Hull FC) + there was also a match in Canet however the gate was marked well down due to the official limit imposed on the club (James Graham had a blinder that night remember that as well as I took a friend from Argentina) Never take an Argie to Jacques Jorda place for a steak for us its heaven for them --------:(

Perpignan has one of the highest unemployment figures in France and the Dragons still do brilliantly well, Toulouse is a different kettle of fish if they enter SL there will sure as be some big signings and  financially its like comparing (No disrespect here Castleford with somewhere like Bristol)

It will rock mark my word and they damm well deserve it no-one has ever put in so many hard yards as Toulouse:)

Paul

3 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Nobody expected the Dragons to draw any more than 3/4000 in their first season the lowest crowd from memory was around 4500 v Hull FC which had to be moved to Narbonne right in the middle of the summer (I remember it well as I hosted a pre match lunch for Hull FC)

Perpignan has one of the highest unemployment figures in France and the Dragons still do brilliantly well, Toulouse is a different kettle of fish if they enter SL there will sure as be some big signings and  financially its like comparing (No disrespect here Castleford with somewhere like Bristol)

It will rock mark my word and they damm well deserve it no-one has ever put in so many hard yards as Toulouse:)

Paul

I hope you’re right 👍

Just now, Eddie said:

I hope you’re right 👍

So do I LOL:) 

Only way it wont work so well is with a s--t team and the chance of that is ZERO:)

The French are brilliant (Sponsor wise) in putting their hands in their pockets and Toulouse have some serious big hitters out there in the wings who over the last 20 years have given the club some petty cash with a promise of some serious Wonka if they made SL:)

Paul

Paul

4 hours ago, binosh said:

Shock.

Same culprits who claimed Toronto were the new saviours of SL and then Toulouse are all disappearing into the shadows or pulling the handbrakes up sharpish now that it looks like Toulouse will actually do it.

Same people with the who said we can’t put Leigh or Featherstone in because they’re small northern pit villages.

For the good of SL and it’s credibility it has to be Toulouse or York they’re so cultural and offer so much more to SL.

I can’t wait to see what they bring.

They suggest those clubs because it'll be a nice place to visit as an away fan 

But " it's not about away fans " is often used as a criticism 

Crazy double standards 

3 hours ago, Hello said:

Since you have gone back over old ground, no their money problems weren't evident at all. They were willing and able to spend more than the wage cap and requested to do so,  hardly the actions of a team struggling to pay wages. But then along came a little thing called covid....

I think some of their Creditors might have disagreed.

39 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I think some of their Creditors might have disagreed.

IF any of their creditors had a genuine case against them (pre covid devastation) then there was nothing to stop them from simply going through the proper channels and wining back any money owed. Post-covid obviously the business model was busted like so many businesses world-wide.

8 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Are the Our League streamed matches available across Europe?  

Yes, we watch it from France.

Newcastle v Bradford up next, both teams TO have to play yet.

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

You really do need to get out more 😂

Leigh didn’t do anyone any favours,your owners ego got the better of him and he then pinned his hopes on the removal of relegation this year which has backfired.

So did the owners of York, London, Fev, Toulouse & Bradford all let their egos get the better of them or just the one you don’t like?

11 minutes ago, Hello said:

IF any of their creditors had a genuine case against them (pre covid devastation) then there was nothing to stop them from simply going through the proper channels and wining back any money owed. Post-covid obviously the business model was busted like so many businesses world-

11 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Without going back over well-trodden old ground, the Toronto money problems were evident long before Covid and their business plan made no sense at all (hey look, we're building a big male grooming brand that will make everyone rich!)

If it made no sense why did mcmanus vote to let his plan go ahead when he was a pro banker and would know how to manage / interprit financial risk and what was a good sound business plan.

I dont want to derail the thread but theres clearly people within the top 12 clubs who want the sport to remain small so their clubs stay relevant. Toronto, Toulouse etc are a risk to these clubs.

Interestingly the same clubs have rejected a swell of clubs to 14 AND a league of 10 at the top.

The swell for me was to promote Toulouse without the championship clubs sulking.

I dont get how its all 'make them play through and not direct SL access,' and then when they do its other nonesense..

10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes but he was demanding conditions that were unacceptable, that is the reason his offer was rejected.

I disagree as 3 of the top clubs voted to let him buy the club and retain the SL licence. It wad self interest from the bottom feeders

10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi yips, I will throw it back and ask how many people were predicting Leigh and HKR would benefit from crowds t tines what they were getting, Leigh in '17 averaged 6,500 at the LSV if Toulouse do they same when they are promoted they will have done very well, I think.

I agree, although the bettet comparison would be Catalans spectacular crowd growth. I seem to remember 6k averages but not sure if it was limited due to the stadium

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

I agree, although the bettet comparison would be Catalans spectacular crowd growth. I seem to remember 6k averages but not sure if it was limited due to the stadium

Lowest crowd was 5k in that first season. Having a French rivalry will make a huge difference to both clubs crowds and commercial operations.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Lowest crowd was 5k in that first season. Having a French rivalry will make a huge difference to both clubs crowds and commercial operations.

Absolutely. As a general rule international expansion clubs should be introduced in pairs imo.

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely. As a general rule international expansion clubs should be introduced in pairs imo.

And protected from relegation. If you want to relegate them then replace like for like (i.e. French for French). Toulouse being the only f/t professional club (don't count London) in the Championship has cost them a fortune because p/t sides have been allowed not to travel.

Archived