Dewsbury v Widnes

LeagueConvert

Can I mention that HWD Hospital Radio will be holding a half time bucket collection at the game on Sunday.

The radio station is staffed and run entirely by volunteers and receives no regular income in the way that commercial radio stations or some other charities do.

However, there are many overheads, PRS licence fees, streaming fees, WiFi links, upgrades, repairs and ongoing costs which all have to be paid for from our own funds and all other fundraising has been cancelled since 2019! so the days’ fundraising is vital.

We were one of the few hospital stations to keep broadcasting 24 hours a day throughout the Covid 19 pandemic, providing comfort and support to patients and NHS staff alike when they needed us the most, demonstrating what a vital service we provide. And of course we have covered every Rams Home game and all the friendlies this season.

We broadcast 24 hours a day to Dewsbury and District Hospital, Wakefield Pinderfields and Pontefract Hospitals. AND around the world LIVE on-line at www.hwdhositalradio.com 

Bring some cash with you to the game and show your support for our station. 🙂 

Thanks everyone.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s all very well thinking that Widnes’ problems mean we will win, but we shouldn’t forget how dire is our game, especially at home. For me, this game will mean just another defeat. We are at home after all.

Dewsbury 18-28 Widnes

FTS: Carr

MoM: Dean

Att: 947

Legs, Dews, Legs.

3 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

It’s all very well thinking that Widnes’ problems mean we will win, but we shouldn’t forget how dire is our game, especially at home. For me, this game will mean just another defeat. We are at home after all.

Dewsbury 18-28 Widnes

I’ll go Dewsbury 12-22 Widnes

13 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Dewsbury 18-28 Widnes

But we now have a good scrum half who can create tries. 

Well hallelujah, we hung on for a win and unbelievably are level on points with Newcastle and Widnes and  just one point behind York. That should see us safe. What a difference a good scrum half makes and Ferguson will be good for us when he gets to full fitness.

Good to see us throw the ball about a bit, but our ability to put ourselves under unnecessary pressure still costs us points. 

But credit to the players for hanging on. Newcastle are eminently beatable as are Oldham, so hopefully we can nick a few more wins and end the season on a positive note on what has been a pretty poor season for results and the rugby played.

I didn’t enjoy seeing us having to defend the one point lead for what seemed like an eternity, but some determined defence saw us through for only our second home win this season AND our first double.

Really pleased for the lads and of course, our supporters, we deserved it. I was a bit surprised that Riley Dean didn’t win the MoM. What a refreshing change to see a creative half back and good goal kicker to boot!

It was an enjoyable ovation after the match for the players who returned the gesture and did you see how fired Tom Garrett was? It might have been because he would receive winning pay, but I’m sure it was much more than that.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

13 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

I didn’t enjoy seeing us having to defend the one point lead for what seemed like an eternity, but some determined defence saw us through for only our second home win this season AND our first double.

Really pleased for the lads and of course, our supporters, we deserved it. I was a bit surprised that Riley Dean didn’t win the MoM. What a refreshing change to see a creative half back and good goal kicker to boot!

It was an enjoyable ovation after the match for the players who returned the gesture and did you see how fired Tom Garrett was? It might have been because he would receive winning pay, but I’m sure it was much more than that.

Yes Garratt looked like a man on a mission today and yes think Dean deserved the MOM.

On 10/08/2021 at 11:18, Wakefield Ram said:

I'm feeling strangely positive about this game. Think we might win this one. Usual stuff like high kicks to corner (Gabriel almost scored on Sunday), grubber kicks into in goal, maybe 2 forwards running together, even do the 2 forwards near the line and pass it to the 2nd forward.... hopefully Riley Dean will be able to spark some more creative play.

You were correct and iam pleased the Rams won  ,hope you've got some finger nails left lol.

4 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

You were correct and iam pleased the Rams won  ,hope you've got some finger nails left lol.

Thanks, it would be nice to be able to be a few scores ahead, as we have a remarkable ability to self combust, but Oldham would have to get at least 7 points from their remaining games and we'd have to lose the lot. 

Just now, Wakefield Ram said:

Thanks, it would be nice to be able to be a few scores ahead, as we have a remarkable ability to self combust, but Oldham would have to get at least 7 points from their remaining games and we'd have to lose the lot. Hope you enjoyed the game.

Them CLOSE games are ok once you've won lol ,no good for the nerves.

Of course somebody did predict a 24-22 win.

Modesty prevents me from saying who.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Really pleased for the lads and thought we looked more lively than usual in the first half but boy oh boy. What is it about getting a lead and then losing our way?  Another day they wouldn’t have bombed those late chances on our left …Much more lively at half back and even a few offloads but the biggest difference today was taking those two sets of two points when they were on offer. 
Well done all. 

Very pleased with the victory and the ability to hang on but let’s not get carried away - the three quarter defence was horribly suspect today and Widnes were probably overall the better of two poor teams but credit to Dean showing initiative in the drop goal which won the game and Ferguson obviously has a point to prove, he was immense in taking up the ball.

Well done to Lee and his team today.All the new lads gave every thing.Dale Ferguson pretty awesome.Best of the season for me definitely at home.Lucky at times,Widnes blew a number of chances.But who chuffing cares.I remember loosing 80-0 to  the chemics many moons ago.Shane Grady still looks a very good player.  Now Rams sort Batley out- no problem.

9 hours ago, shaw llewellyn said:

Well done from an Oldham fan. A shame that the last game will not be a decider but I am sure you are ok with that.

Thanks, I'm more relieved than anything because not sure my nerves would have stood up to what would doubtless have been a cliffhanger.

13 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

Very pleased with the victory and the ability to hang on but let’s not get carried away - the three quarter defence was horribly suspect today and Widnes were probably overall the better of two poor teams but credit to Dean showing initiative in the drop goal which won the game and Ferguson obviously has a point to prove, he was immense in taking up the ball.

Widnes might have been the better but must not forget how many players we are missing still. Ryder, Oakes, Tomlinson, Finn, Sykes, Hall, Knowles, Walton, Day and probably one or two others.

59 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

So frustrating looking back at the recent games against Swinton and Sheffield. Should have won both and if we had the table would look very different. 

Results as you say could have been different but with the limited resources that have been available to lee due to injuries and covid we have been lucky to see a team on the pitch. With the best will in the world you prepare your team with a game plan and players from both teams drop out at late notice. The team then almost has to play "off the cuff" and structures worked on go out of the window. l was impressed with the team spirit yesterday and the way the young players and loanees gelled to give us a hard fought win. Onwards and upwards!

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Widnes might have been the better but must not forget how many players we are missing still. Ryder, Oakes, Tomlinson, Finn, Sykes, Hall, Knowles, Walton, Day and probably one or two others.

On the other hand, if some of these absentees had been on the pitch yesterday we might well have lost.

I believe that one major plus yesterday was the absence of an older head - the young players, notably Dean, Smith and Butterworth seemed to be more free of any constraints, playing within a team structure but prepared to try something different now and then. There are times when experience can be a drawback, as evidenced by much of the advice being offered from many with long experience in the South Stand yesterday.

We can give the old hands their chance to show how it really should be done next Sunday.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

On the other hand, if some of these absentees had been on the pitch yesterday we might well have lost.

I believe that one major plus yesterday was the absence of an older head - the young players, notably Dean, Smith and Butterworth seemed to be more free of any constraints, playing within a team structure but prepared to try something different now and then. 

Couldn’t agree more and my feeling in that first half was that we weren’t missing any of the “old hands”

Get Day, Walton and Ryder back in Sunday’s team and I’d be a happy bunny. 

For me rest what you can next week, hiding to nothing against Featherstone, no chance of winning, so reserve effort, fulfill the 80 minutes and look forward to Newcastle with an energized team looking for a win in a game we can win.. Would be happy with a covid cancellation next Sunday if honest🤔

17 minutes ago, coolie said:

For me rest what you can next week, hiding to nothing against Featherstone, no chance of winning, so reserve effort, fulfill the 80 minutes and look forward to Newcastle with an energized team looking for a win in a game we can win.. Would be happy with a covid cancellation next Sunday if honest🤔

For that to happen  C the rams will need to catch it  FEV played two games when they had more than 7 out with covid  so  won't postpone🩺

Archived