Saints sign Hopoate

dkw

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Looked like he was going to be a real star when he burst onto the scene but never really kicked on after he spent time away from the sport.

Didn't he take a sabbatical to pursue some religious life thing?

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Yes two years, when he was a lot younger. 

Not the most overwhelming signing but he’s ‘only’ 29 plus has plenty of NRL and international experience so should be well above average in SL I’d have thought. 

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

Yeah he left Manly to undertake Mormon missionary work for a couple of years before signing with Parra on his return 

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah he left Manly to undertake Mormon missionary work for a couple of years before signing with Parra on his return 

Seem to remember he wouldn’t play on Sundays either. Don’t know whether he still won’t. 

Just now, bobbruce said:

Seem to remember he wouldn’t play on Sundays either. Don’t know whether he still won’t. 

Seem to remember him refusing to play on a Sunday for the Bulldogs & stating he wouldn’t play in the Grand Final if they reached it for the same reason.

I think he reversed that decision a couple of seasons later,maybe because his next contract might not be as lucrative if he continued that policy.

Fairly happy with this signing. He’s played in some woeful sides since returning from his Mormon mission and playing as a back behind a pack so regularly bettered by your opposition, it’s tough to stand out. For Tonga though, he’s played well and Woolf has got the best from him. Playing behind a Saints pack that should be fairly dominant, I think he’ll go alright for us. 

Not sure why Hopoate gets so much stick, I think he is a pretty good player.

Moving from a team that has been struggling to one that is usually on the front foot may see the best of him.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Not sure why Hopoate gets so much stick, I think he is a pretty good player.

Moving from a team that has been struggling to one that is usually on the front foot may see the best of him.

Happy he seems a good replacement for Naiqama. Also heard we are getting Lussick in to help spell Roby next year as he picks and chooses his games a bit more next year. 

57 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Happy he seems a good replacement for Naiqama. Also heard we are getting Lussick in to help spell Roby next year as he picks and chooses his games a bit more next year. 

Agreed. Some don’t seem to rate him but then they probably didn’t rate Naiqama either. Not exactly like for like but a good replacement IMHO who Woolf knows well. 

The Lussick one is interesting. Not sure where that leaves Smith with Eaves also pushing through? 

4 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Agreed. Some don’t seem to rate him but then they probably didn’t rate Naiqama either. Not exactly like for like but a good replacement IMHO whi Woolf knows well. 

the Lussick one is interesting. Not sure where that leaves Smith with Eaves also pushing through? 

I think Saints have concerns over Smiths long term health with head injuries. He’s started wearing a head guard this year but still rarely featured. Can see him leaving in the next year or so as he’s struggled to develop with constant head knocks. Similarly I’d be surprised if Eaves signs a new contract, he’s just not had the opportunity and Pemberton (our current 19s hooker) will be the next one off the bus…

If Roby continues next year we will probably see;

2022: 9 Roby, 14 Lussick

2023: 9 Lussick, 14 Pemberton 

11 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

I think Saints have concerns over Smiths long term health with head injuries. He’s started wearing a head guard this year but still rarely featured. Can see him leaving in the next year or so as he’s struggled to develop with constant head knocks. Similarly I’d be surprised if Eaves signs a new contract, he’s just not had the opportunity and Pemberton (our current 19s hooker) will be the next one off the bus…

If Roby continues next year we will probably see;

2022: 9 Roby, 14 Lussick

2023: 9 Lussick, 14 Pemberton 

Thanks for that. Sad for Smith, I don’t like to see any player struggling with that sort of issue.

like i said in another thread- the bulldogs persistence to stick with players like Hopoate is the reason they are nailed to the foot of the nrl, have watched most dogs games over the last 3 years and lately its you hardly notice he has been playing- a steady player maybe at best . give our youngsters a chance instead of buying over the hill over rated (vastly over rated in this case) aussies.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

like i said in another thread- the bulldogs persistence to stick with players like Hopoate is the reason they are nailed to the foot of the nrl, have watched most dogs games over the last 3 years and lately its you hardly notice he has been playing- a steady player maybe at best . give our youngsters a chance instead of buying over the hill over rated (vastly over rated in this case) aussies.

Given Saints first choice 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 13 next season will have all come through their academy that's an odd take.

12 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Seem to remember him refusing to play on a Sunday for the Bulldogs & stating he wouldn’t play in the Grand Final if they reached it for the same reason.

I think he reversed that decision a couple of seasons later,maybe because his next contract might not be as lucrative if he continued that policy.

He did change his mind because the Dogs said no play no contract, as did every other NRL side. So he had a choice lose his entire career or continue with his strict Mormon beliefs.

Personally I think this is a really poor signing by Saints and a huge downgrade on Naiquama. He has his faults (namely some poor defensive reads as was shown for Catalans 1st Try on Saturday) but he has a high workrate and good pace, all things Hopoate certainly isn't renowned for.

I hope i'm proved wrong and Woolf can bring out the Hopoate from earlier in his career, but personally I think we're signed a bit of a donkey.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

He may do well in SL ,  but since his breakthrough at Manly he’s been a massive disappointment . Even in a poor side you can show how good you are , Meaney is off to The Storm , but for years now in the NRL Hopoate just seems there without being very noticeable 

Archived