Chris Chester (Merged threads)

From an outside perspective (and I'm sure I'll be told how wrong I am by enraged Trin fans) is that when he was put in place he massively benefited from John Kear's input - and a couple of rival clubs suffering huge turmoil to allow Trin to place higher than they would normally, making his short comings 

Since then, it's been a slide again - At times Trin can play some absolutely superb, flowing rugby, but a brilliant try here and there doesnt make up for defensive frailties.

I think for Trin, his sacking is long overdue - for the rest of the league, give him another go...

• John Drake changed the title to Chris Chester (Merged threads)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ant said:

From an outside perspective (and I'm sure I'll be told how wrong I am by enraged Trin fans) is that when he was put in place he massively benefited from John Kear's input - and a couple of rival clubs suffering huge turmoil to allow Trin to place higher than they would normally, making his short comings 

Since then, it's been a slide again - At times Trin can play some absolutely superb, flowing rugby, but a brilliant try here and there doesnt make up for defensive frailties.

I think for Trin, his sacking is long overdue - for the rest of the league, give him another go...

You’ll find mate that Trin fans have been been saying exactly that this past few years. When he took over, the squad had been prepared by Brian Smith. Chester himself said he’d changed nothing just let the players off the leash. JK then assisted him with the defensive stuff and then Michael Monaghan but since then we’ve been getting progressively worse. No discipline, no coaching and no conditioning.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Seriously how would this from Michael Carter appeal to any coach:

“Sadly, the last two years have been difficult for many reasons with injuries and COVID decimating us at times. There have been numerous occasions where we could have sought a postponement but played on with weakened teams, and ultimately that has reflected on Chris. He has also never been given the opportunity to spend the full salary cap. To truly compete these days, clubs need either a wealthy benefactor or large crowds and substantial off field income, none of which Chris has ever enjoyed here. At times, it must have felt like coaching with both hands tied behind his back.

https://wakefieldtrinity.com/blog/2021/08/10/chris-chester-leaves-wakefield-trinity/

What would you expect him to say, its not like it isn't obvious, get eal.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Really not sure what Wakey fans wanted with budget at hand. I hope that stadium gets redeveloped and they can start to help a new coach compete. 

Not to have spent a load of it on a player like Fifita who isn't fit or consistent enough. Wonder if Carter regrets his latest deal.

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

Not that. I think only the most one eyed Wakey fan would think its a good thing to say.

I honestly don't understand why anyone with a choice would want to work for someone like Carter. 

Look at his record over the last few years:

• One of the last clubs to agree a COVID pay deal with players. 
  • Sinister remarks to the media about "remembering those who didn't agree pay cuts" once that deal was agreed.
  • Mocking the social media movement that was backed by the players union on his own social media profile. 
  • Going to a fan forum and belittling a player who felt the need to take a second job as a zero-hour courier by claiming that he "wished he was on what that player was on at 21". 
  • The club named and shamed by HMRC for minimum wage breaches. 
  • Standing by a coach who openly talked about "sacking" players. 
  • Going to the media and telling his players to "grow a pair" amid concerns about morale in the team and criticisms of the coach. 
  • Amateurish remarks about the match review panel, for which he has been fined. 
  • Underinvestment in player facilities. 
  • Led a club that, of the 11 clubs that finished the Super League last season, is the only one that hasn't either won something or appeared in at least one major final within the last eight years.

Then you have this sort of "sales pitch" to any prospective new coach and players. 

Honestly, who would want to work for someone like this? 

3 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I honestly don't understand why anyone with a choice would want to work for someone like Carter. 

• Sinister remarks to the media about "remembering those who didn't agree pay cuts" once that deal was agreed.
  • Mocking the social media movement that was backed by the players union on his own social media profile. 
  • Going to a fan forum and belittling a player who felt the need to take a second job as a zero-hour courier by claiming that he "wished he was on what that player was on at 21". 
  • Going to the media and telling his players to "grow a pair" amid concerns about morale in the team and criticisms of the coach. 

Then you have this sort of "sales pitch" to any prospective new coach and players. 

But as is always the case there will be quite a few who do. It's the same with football, where even the crappiest clubs are never short of applicants. 

30 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

This was a bit of a misleading first post. I thought you were inferring that he’d come out as being gay!

no hes not" happy "at all at the minute 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

When you saw Chester's comments about his players not being up to standard and wanting to replace them, you didn't think this wouldn't go down too well. 

After making similar comments last year and reports (whether true or not) of a dressing room rift, maybe this was the final straw.

I was a little concerned for him after the Leeds away match towards the start of the year as his media appearances looked like someone who was struggling with the strain.

He's not had a break from coaching since 2007 so maybe it will do him good. On the other hand, it's tough to get another gig once you've been sacked.

Chris Chester lovely bloke and has done some amazing things with the squad he had but his time was up end of last season IMO. The players at Wakefield obviously need a shake up and we need someone to do that especially with the possibilities for next season. Cheers Chris thanks for the memories but time to move on.

f3gms4.jpg

46 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Will the new coach have his hands tied behind his back. What a stupid thing to say whilst sacking him

Carter can act like a spoilt child at times, gone way down in my estimation of him of late. 

FFS Anyone one who dosnt realise Wakey struggle for money must not follow RL. Chester knew full well the clubs limitations but was eager to apply for the job. Also eagerly accepted a contract extention. If his purported  skills only allow him to spend full cap he should not have applied.

Never heard kear moan about such things. Never heard Watson moan and he worked wonders for Salford with simillar cap.

6 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Carter can act like a spoilt child at times, gone way down in my estimation of him of late. 

FFS Anyone one who dosnt realise Wakey struggle for money must not follow RL. Chester knew full well the clubs limitations but was eager to apply for the job. Also eagerly accepted a contract extention. If his purported  skills only allow him to spend full cap he should not have applied.

Never heard kear moan about such things. Never heard Watson moan and he worked wonders for Salford with simillar cap.

.....and with Jackson Hastings.

That’s the first time I’ve heard of Kear not moaning.  

2 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

• Led a club that, of the 11 clubs that finished the Super League last season, is the only one that hasn't either won something or appeared in at least one major final within the last eight years.

100% this mate.  Sums up perfectly the whole operation at wakey.  Operating from year to year on the stringiest of shoestring budgets, happy to plod along and finish next to bottom.  A shambles of a full time “professional” rugby league club.  Typical of the small time mentality of the top division and the RFL presently.

4 hours ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

Not exactly selling it is he?

There's (currently) 11 SL head coach jobs in England. Some of them are going to be filled by Antipodeans at any given moment. So there's basically half a dozen jobs, of which maybe 2 or 3 maximum will be available in any given year. The Wakefield job is probably less of a poisoned chalice than Salford or Leigh. I doubt there'll be any shortage of good applicants.

Archived