Chris Chester (Merged threads)

2 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

I don’t think we’re holding teams back we got promoted in 98 first 1 or 2 seasons  with no SL money  and not. been relegated, we’re not stopping other clubs doing the same.  Stadium is an issue but that’s holding us back nobody else.

Up the Trin 

I totally understand what you are saying and I like Wakey as a club but they are now at a point where they are getting by simply because SL clubs are doing everything in their power to not give any promoted team a fair crack of the whip. Wakey are just doing the bare minimum to stay in SL, the game simply does not improve when there are clubs that are doing that.

Th question is which clubs could do better, now getting promoted and staying up is a near impossible task before SL clubs start taking money away from the promoted club but given the resources that have been afforded to Wakey I think there are a number of teams that if they were promoted could do as well as them. Now before the argument starts about we do not want teams to simply do as well as them we want a team to do better, unless those teams get a chance then we will never know but what we do know is that Wakey are not going anywhere fast at this moment.

I honestly think you could promote the championship top 5 and given resources that Wakey have had they would be in a better position in a few years time. Again though I get why SL clubs have this self preservation thing, from a Fax perspective we finished bottom of SL one season and it set us back as a club years, obviously in 2010 we should have been given the chance to reclaim our position in SL, just like many teams should have when it were a closed shop, but that chance was restricted by greedy SL clubs. All I know is that if Fax were to get back in SL we would be going in to a competition that is a lot worse than when we were last in there.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Scubby said:

I was born in Wakefield and spent my childhood there. It always seemed like a completely missed opportunity to use the City to help to build a bigger presence at games, corporately and in the national psyche. When people anywhere in the UK hear the name of the town St Helens - many of them automatically think of rugby. When I tell people I'm from Wakefield many are unsure until you add near Leeds.

The slow death of the City of Wakefield and all it stood for began with the creation of the Metropolitan District Council back in the early 70's.   The City has since been starved and run into the ground as the multitude of Councillors representing the outlying areas look to keep their seats on the gravy train.  Wakefield is now just a dark place in the shadow of Leeds.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Where do I start, the club (carter) has made a right mess of this. I posted sometime back that a new contract for Chester on improved terms had been agreed. I dont know how much it was but it would have been his third. I do know his first contract and that was £100k. So safe to assume it is at least that. If it was not signed then it should not have been paid. His old contract should been allowed to run till completion. Business is tough at times no room for sentimentality ,especially in a dog eat dog,results driven environment. 

Some of the philanthropic posters should think, what a nice gesture by Carter. However this is the same bloke pleading poverty and defending Chester's incompetence on lack of cap spend. If Carter can find £100k plus, then why didn't he help his mate out and put that in the player budget. 

I have followed the club for years and always will, but we are our own worst enemies at times. We have retained a massively under performing coach far to long and when it was eventually dawned he needed to leave, made a right mess. 

On to the ground ,that's another matter and the club have done everything they can. No other club owners could have done more. The two parties responsible for delivering are to blame. Council have been totally inept and developer never had any intention. Will it ever happen ? From the facts I know , 95% sure it will not.

27 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

But Fev is a fairly small place, that's no disrespect, just a fact. 

Wakefield if managed properly could be a real asset and in the unique position of no significant football club to compete. (Leeds United aren't in Wakefield) 

The problem is that Wakefield is more and more becoming just overflow housing for for Leeds and Leeds commuters. 

There are currently various and large developments of housing going on along the corridor of Neil Fox Way, between Pinderfields Hospital and Doncaster Road. If you look at the marketing material for those homes, it more often than not promotes how easy it is to reach the M1, M62 and the centre Leeds ahead of how easy it is to reach the centre of Wakefield. 

That's the reality in a lot of towns and smaller cities today - the same is going on in Huddersfield where housing developments are clustering around the M62 for Leeds and Manchester commuters. As the economy centred around cities, that's where people commuted to and it's where housing became expensive, leading to many people in those cities to move out to get more for their money (something that the pandemic will probably encourage further).  

It means that the identity that these cities have, and the attachment that residents have to them, becomes weaker. People might be moving into these towns (and the often expensive properties that are built), but it's difficult for clubs like Wakefield and Huddersfield to sell to those people. It doesn't matter whether Leeds United aren't in Wakefield - that's the team a lot of Wakefield residents align with. 

Archived