Sat 14-Sun 15 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Discuss this week's Betfred Championship games here.

SATURDAY 14th AUGUST
Newcastle Thunder v Bradford Bulls KO 17:00
Featherstone Rovers v York City Knights KO 18:00

SUNDAY 15th AUGUST
Dewsbury Rams v Widnes Vikings KO 15:00
Sheffield Eagles v Oldham KO 15:00
Swinton Lions v Batley Bulldogs KO 15:00
Whitehaven v London Broncos KO 15:00

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Bulls, Fev, Widnes, Eagles, Batley, Haven

Not 100% positive with my Bulls prediction, I hope that Fev can hold on to some of their excellent crowd from Tou and they Whitehaven can maybe add some excitement to the playoff race with an unlikely win vs a Broncos side, who has a fair bit of travelling to do for that game. 

Why do say that a Whitehaven win over London is 'unlikely'? I'd have it is more likely than not, based on recent results.

14 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Bulls, Fev, Widnes, Eagles, Batley, Haven

Not 100% positive with my Bulls prediction, I hope that Fev can hold on to some of their excellent crowd from Tou and they Whitehaven can maybe add some excitement to the playoff race with an unlikely win vs a Broncos side, who has a fair bit of travelling to do for that game. 

About the same length of travelling Whitehaven did to play in London. Why do people bring travelling into it when teams play Whitehaven? Whitehaven travel every other week more or less and no one ever mentions that. 

Newcastle Thunder v Bradford Bulls - Should be a comfortable Bulls win, not been impressed with Thunder when Ive seen them play. Bulls by 16.
Featherstone Rovers v York City Knights - Easy Fev win. Fev by 20.
Dewsbury Rams v Widnes Vikings - Hard to call this one but going for Widnes by 4.
Sheffield Eagles v Oldham - Oldham look just about relegated. I just cant see anything but an Eagles win. Sheffield by 10.
Swinton Lions v Batley Bulldogs - This may be closer depending on the covid situation but still should be a Batley win. Batley by 16.
Whitehaven v London Broncos - I think Haven will have too much for London and will give themselves a shout of 6th. Haven by 10.

20 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because it affects the teams involved. For example, Whitehaven have seven wins , 3 of them have come away from home and by narrow margins . It´s tough for them so it stands to reason it can be tougher for teams to travel to Haven. 

So by that reckoning we should be nowhere near a play off place. Our last home win was by a narrow margin. One of those narrow away wins was at Newcastle, a derby for us only two hours away. I’m afraid your defence of travel affecting a performance is a ready made excuse for teams. I’ve never heard a Whitehaven fan complain we were beaten because we had to travel. A trip to London has a knock on effect for a part time team like Haven. Arriving home after midnight players have then to get up for work no luxury of rest and rehab for the next game. London as full timers won’t have to bother about little things like that. 

Not much between Newcastle and Bradford on the scoreboard, but Bradford have had much more possession and applied more pressure. Streaming free on OurLeague, if anyone missed the memo.

Currently Thunder 0:14 Bulls, with a couple of minutes to HT.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Not much between Newcastle and Bradford on the scoreboard, but Bradford have had much more possession and applied more pressure. Streaming free on OurLeague, if anyone missed the memo.

Currently Thunder 0:14 Bulls, with a couple of minutes to HT.

Wow! They go in to HT at 12:14, with a couple of quick-fire tries to Newcastle.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A couple of good late but unrewarded efforts from the Thunder, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived