Sat 14-Sun 15 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How good would it be if Haven could nick that last playoff spot from London. Id certainly rather face London in the playoffs at this point than Haven.

Looking at the remaing fixtures London face Newcastle(a), Sheffield(h), Swinton(a), Fev(h), York(a). I would imagine they will win the first 3 and lose the last 2.

Haven have York(a), Widnes(h), Batley(a), Halifax(h), Bradford(a). Id be tipping Haven to win both home games but lose all 3 away. So looking at how tough their fixtures are, Haven will have certainly have earned it if they can leapfrog London.

At the other end of the table York, Widnes, Newcastle, and Dewsbury can be thankful that Oldham and Swinton have not really been at the reaces this season.

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

How good would it be if Haven could nick that last playoff spot from London. Id certainly rather face London in the playoffs at this point than Haven.

Looking at the remaing fixtures London face Newcastle(a), Sheffield(h), Swinton(a), Fev(a), York(a). I would imagine they will win the first 3 and lose the last 2.

Haven have York(a), Widnes(h), Batley(a), Halifax(h), Bradford(a). Id be tipping Haven to win both home games but lose all 3 away. So looking at how tough their fixtures are, Haven will have certainly have earned it if they can leapfrog London.

At the other end of the table York, Widnes, Newcastle, and Dewsbury can be thankful that Oldham and Swinton have not really been at the reaces this season.

London's game against Fev is in London. 

20 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Another great weekend for champ.  Whitehaven keep it interesting with their win. 

Eagles bail out Widnes from relgation worries with their win, which I am grateful means they will start next season in their new home as a Champ club. 

Plus they are only 4 points off playoffs.  Widnes and York going to be kicking themselves with how badly they played this year with how open London made it for a playoff spot.  

Widnes could kick themselves , but they'd probably miss.

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well if Newcastle can beat London  (not impossible with way London are going) then York could beat Haven and fancy a miracle run.  

York got haven then Bulls side who might rotate should we beat Swinton.  Newcastle away Toulouse is a loss then London final day.  

Champ just two teams short right now of it being a supurb comp. 

Newcastle have looked awful everytime Ive seen them, I would expect even a misfiring London team to have more than enough to beat them. If they were going to lose a shock one its probably more likely to be Sheffield.

19 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yeah geographically where they are makes it tougher. They have an academy which allows for a hybrid set up and I think SL teams like Leeds and Hull are going to be more inclined in the future to loan them talent due to the quality of facilities they have. 

If I had to bet now for next year  (If Tou up) I'd go :

Fev

Leigh 

Fax 

Bulls 

York but with Widnes and Newcastle snapping at their heels. 

Leigh for next season are a complete unknown quantity, as far as I know they have 2 Aussie's from Gold Coast and Joe Mellor signed on, everyone else is on one year contracts, so they could be at any position bottom middle or top, there is a lot of money in the coffers, but we need a new Dir. of Rugby and a new coach to spend it on the right personel, Mr Beaumont was obviously present at the SL meeting which by all accounts stated that there will be a 12 team SL next year with a change from this season of 1 club via P&R, so he must know what the intension is, If I was in charge at Leigh I would start the recruitment drive now looking for players with enough nous, ability and quality to gain promotion and still have the requirements for at least 50% of them to take the club into SL in '23, the longer Mr Beaumont waits to begin recruiting for next season I will believe he knows something the rest of us are not privy to.

Just a thought!

34 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh for next season are a complete unknown quantity, as far as I know they have 2 Aussie's from Gold Coast and Joe Mellor signed on, everyone else is on one year contracts, so they could be at any position bottom middle or top, there is a lot of money in the coffers, but we need a new Dir. of Rugby and a new coach to spend it on the right personel, Mr Beaumont was obviously present at the SL meeting which by all accounts stated that there will be a 12 team SL next year with a change from this season of 1 club via P&R, so he must know what the intension is, If I was in charge at Leigh I would start the recruitment drive now looking for players with enough nous, ability and quality to gain promotion and still have the requirements for at least 50% of them to take the club into SL in '23, the longer Mr Beaumont waits to begin recruiting for next season I will believe he knows something the rest of us are not privy to.

Just a thought!

I would think he is balancing up his cash and deciding how much to pocket.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Plus they are only 4 points off playoffs.  Widnes and York going to be kicking themselves with how badly they played this year with how open London made it for a playoff spot.  

Points ?  What are they ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived