Fri 13 Aug: SL: Hull Kingston Rovers v Wigan Warriors KO 19:45

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull Kingston Rovers
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/08/21 at 19:15

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jim Prendle said:

He's never fitted in the short, or medium term either.

I've met him on many occasions and he is pretty arrogant with regards to his ability. Wigan need to announce that his time is up, and move on to finding a new coach. He came as a stop gap, and has definitely overstayed his welcome.

The winning run at the start of the season masked an awful lot too. Wigan were pretty poor in many of those games.

I’ve not rated Lam in the slightest since he rocked up (I think they should keep him for a long, long time) but do they just let him get on with it, write the year off and go again next year with a new coach or do they sack him and hope there’s an upturn in form for the business end of the season? Surely, it’s the latter? I know Covid has had an effect and he’s only got a short time left on his contract but he’s almost certainly going, why wait? Even if who they want for 2022 isn’t available right now, you’d take a punt on someone else because they can’t do much worse than where Wigan are right now?

That’s how I see it, looking from the outside in, anyway. 

3 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

That game has reinforced what has been apparent most of the season - Wigan are not a good side. Only picking up wins against the teams in the bottom half of the table means you're only mid-table at best. That's where this Wigan team is. Whether it's down to poor recruitment, poor coaching, players not performing to their best, that's the reality of it. There's no resurgence on the horizon, no late season rally. This is currently an accurate reflection of where the current team is.

Rovers were the better side and just had a sloppy 20 minutes in a game they were otherwise fairly comfortable in. They've built a good team with a few outstanding players and they play to their strengths. Good to watch too.

Did Lam get interviewed post match? I don't remember seeing it

Bang on,big changes needed on & off the pitch.

1 minute ago, Jim Prendle said:

I get that, but it won't wash for much longer.

As I understand it the coaches salary does count towards the cap, so now is the time to do something different with the leader of our club.

Don’t hold your breath,youth team coach Matty Peet is rumoured to be the next head coach,now that’s cheap.

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Someone said only 6000.  Looked more and sounded great.  Benefits of appropriately sized stadium I guess. 

I think Hull KR's ground often looks pretty good on TV. I was a bit shocked that the attendance was only 6k when it was shown. As you say it shows the benefits of an appropriately sized stadium and some standing room helps a lot too with how full a stadium looks.

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Don’t hold your breath,youth team coach Matty Peet is rumoured to be the next head coach,now that’s cheap.

I hope that's just a rumour. If not, it's an indication of how far we have fallen.

There aren't many great coaches in SL at the moment in my opinion. Even the guy at St. Helens doesn't seem to have made much positive difference to that lot and they have a much better squad than Wigan.

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And signing some quality 

Lenagan believes in using the players he has spent money on producing.

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Looks like he may want to keep that going with coaches.

You are better off with an expensive coach and cheap players if you need to balance the books.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Wigan: Some injuries maybe, some players not up to it maybe, but even the experienced regulars seem out of sorts. Farrell seems a shadow of his former self. 

He was great for England, hes just in an underperforming team playing on the backfoot. Hastings looks ordinary and Hardaker doesnt look interested. They have quality, they just need a shake up, winnings a habit they have lost.

Just now, Padge said:

Lenagan believes in using the players he has spent money on producing.

Looks like he may want to keep that going with coaches.

You are better off with an expensive coach and cheap players if you need to balance the books.

That's all very well, but if the guy in charge of bringing those young players through isn't up to it then it's obvious what you are going to get.

I never thought I would say this, but bring Shaun Wane back.

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

He was great for England, hes just in an underperforming team playing on the backfoot. Hastings looks ordinary and Hardaker doesnt look interested. They have quality, they just need a shake up, winnings a habit they have lost.

That might be funny if those three weren't Wigan's best 3 players tonight.

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Really,Hastings & Hardaker ? Thought they were our 2 best players tonight,they certainly never stopped trying.

3 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

never thought I would say this, but bring Shaun Wane back.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

That was Hull KR without our best 2 forwards, and 3 of our best pivots. I’m almost speechless.

2 years ago a Rovers side with 5 of their best players out injured would have shipped 40+ even against an admittedly badly coached and overpaid Wigan team 

As Drucker said, “culture eats strategy for breakfast”, or as I like to say, hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. Loving this season!

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Archived