Match Thread: Championship Round 17, Featherstone Rovers v York Saturday-14th-August-2021

marklaspalmas

Saturday match this week in a re-run of the Wembley final.

21 man squad to be announced on Thursday.

With three new signings, Walker, Springer and Sutcliffe, the squad size is looking healthier, although Sutcliffe is reported to be a couple of weeks away from fitness.

Squad from:

5 BACKS from: Walker, Hall, Blackmore, Gale, Welham, Hardcastle.

2 HALVES from: Chisholm, Holmes, Brown.

2 HOOKERS: Jones, Parata.

3 BACK-ROW from: Ferres, Halton, Moors (taken off injured at Batley).

6 MIDDLES from: Kopczak, Harrison, Lockwood, Davies, Field, Springer, Cooper, McConnell.

Not available: Sutcliffe, Minns, Day, Bussey, Ferguson.

23 minutes ago, TheFevRover said:

Hopefully koppy and Gale back this week we missed them at batley and also hope moors injury isn’t too bad he will be a real miss

Thought he was quiet at Batley  but as you say he has been playing well,i think Moors and Kopczak have been  good additions.

3 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Anyone know what the situation is with Jack Bussey?, is he out for the season?

I saw him at the Toulouse game on crutches with his ankle / foot in plaster.  Before that he was at Wembley and I may be wrong but seemed to be walking ok.  So looks like he's had some sort of op.  I assume thats it for the season but you never know ?

1 minute ago, RobLambert said:

I saw him at the Toulouse game on crutches with his ankle / foot in plaster.  Before that he was at Wembley and I may be wrong but seemed to be walking ok.  So looks like he's had some sort of op.  I assume thats it for the season but you never know ?

Been a big miss has JB

So back to the good old days of the RFL match centre naming the squads but only giving 19 names...

If the usual rule about the last two names alphabetically being omitted, it looks like no return for Kopczak this week, which would be a bit of a concern as I thought he was just being rested last week.

Also looks like Moors' back is going to keep him out, so that could be two of our more important forwards out, along with thelong-term injured Bussey and Day.

I'm going to guess the two missing names late in the alphabet are Alex Walker and Kris Welham.

Holmes is in the squad, but will he get a game?

Jacob Doyle is in the squad, presumably as cover in case Gale is still unfit (although we have Hall free too if Walker is playing full back again).

https://www.rugby-league.com/match-centre/match-preview/20185

https://twitter.com/FevRoversRLFC/status/1425849568357351432/photo/1

squad named, and as usual the RFL website was correct with walker and Welham the two missing names as anticipated.

So no Kopczak and no Moors, as well as long-term absentees Bussey, Day and Fergie, in the pack.

York still missing a couple because of Covid but look closer to full strength than they have for most of the season.

https://yorkcityknights.com/club/21-man-squad-named-for-featherstone-trip/

1 hour ago, TheFevRover said:

Fergy gone on loan to rams with a recall option in our favour whats he got to do to get time in our side he was good in pre season 

It is a question of him staying fit I suspect.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

10 hours ago, TheFevRover said:

With moors missing there’s no one that can break a tackle and ball play on the edge with players we have available fergy would of filled that hole

Johnny D would like a word with you outside.......

Its' not always about breaking tackles the angle of a run between defenders  can catch out opponents .A short offload pass when the ball carrier has commited two or three tacklers can be productive.I think both John Davies and James Harrison can split defences on the edge.It's just a matter of getting the offload right while under pressure.

16 hours ago, Phil Briscoe said:

Completely agree. With the number of big men we have missing York will fancy taking us on down the middle. Fergy would have made a difference. 

They couldn't at wembley when our pack was full of kids

11 hours ago, lingaro said:

Davis will frighten them to death.

I agree to a certain extent the ever rambunctious JD will always put the frighteners on anybody  but I think  Frankie H running out wide and Connor J and Dean P at AHB will give them bigger headaches

On 13/08/2021 at 13:26, Phil Briscoe said:

Ye I don’t know why he can’t get game time with us especially with the number of absent forwards we have. But if he gets fit for the playoffs and does well at Dewsbury it might be a good move.

I expect he is getting fit for one or two games in the playoffs.  Player management.  Same with koppy and moors. we need our biggest pack against TO in the final if we're lucky enough to get there.   Planning ahead! 

Archived