Academy products

daz39

Not wanting to start a 'my dads bigger than your dad' argument but how much impact do your teams homegrown players have in your side currently?

At Huddersfield our homegrown scorers this season are :

Tries

McGillvary 11

Jake Wardle 5

Cudjoe 4

Wood 4

Mcintosh 4

Lawrence 2

Pryce 2

Senior 1

English 1

Toal of 34 out of 63

Goals

Russell 21

Pryce 5

Wardle 5

Total of 31 from 56

Total points scored by Homegrown players - 210 from 366

Indeed in our last 5 games 100 of our 120 points have been scored by home grown products, great for our club as it means we have a very bright future and some excellent young talent here but how does it compare to other clubs? 

Can anyone give me the corresponding stats for their club please?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s quite feasible for Huddersfield to put out a strong SL team including nothing but recent Academy graduates. Indeed if you were to include the few that have left the Giants to go elsewhere it is a very impressive achievement from a club that wasn’t renowned for producing their own talent.

1. Jake Connor
  2. Dom Young
  3. Jake Wardle
  4. Louis Senior
  5. Darnel McIntosh
  6. Will Pryce
  7. Oliver Russel
  8. Matty English
  9. Kruise Leeming
  10. Jon Luke Kirby
  11. Sam Hewitt
  12. Sam Wood
  13. Owen Trout

Innes Senior, Ronan Michael, 

Then there’s the senior players who’ve served the club for over a decade, McGilvery, Cudjoe, Lawrence

17 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Home grown. 🤣 Over half of them are Halifax. 😉

How many of them came through Halifax’s Youth System?

Young, Hewitt, Kirby, English & Trout are all Wakefield born lads but they didn’t come through any part of Wakefield’s Youth system

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ah right it was the homegrown that caught me out. 😉

Hewitt, Trout, Kirby, English & Young are all from Wakefield

Russell is from Wigan

Price is from Leeds/Bradford

Michael is from Ireland

The Senior twins are definitely from Huddersfield

So who are the ones from Halifax?

14 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ah right it was the homegrown that caught me out. 😉

Surely you are familiar with the phrase 'home grown talent' which relates to a player who has come through the ranks at a given club NOT the town he hails from?

Expect to see the likes of Aiden McGowan, Robson Stevens, Alfie Schultz, Fenton Rodgers, Kieran Rush, possibly, Oli Peterkin, Connor Carr, and Marcus Garley added to that list in the next couple of years too!

Josh Johnson, Nathan Mason, Ben Tibbs, Travis Corion, Jacob Fairbank, Greg Worthington, Jack Blagborough, Greg Johnson, Tyler Dickinson, Izaac Farrell, Matty Dawson, Mikey Wood are just a few of the names playing regularly in the professional ranks that all graduated through the Giants' systems too 🙂

Whilst it is nice to see homegrown or club trained players coming through, a successful club has a balance of homegrown /club trained and top quality signings. Thats what Wigan, Saints and Leeds have done for years. 

3 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Without looking at the stats, these ten home-grown Saints players go alright. Admittedly beyond this there's a bit of a drop-off! 

1. Welsby

2. Makinson

3. Simm

4. Percival

5. Grace

6. Lomax

7. Dodd

8. Lees

9. Roby

10. Knowles

Aren't these club trained not homegrown. 

Just now, Saint 1 said:

Home-grown to me is academy products. I don't care what town they were born in if they started playing for Saints at u15s. 

No problem how you clarify them just certain posters seperated the two. Especially in the North West you can throw a blanket over wigan, leigh, saints, Warrington and Widnes. 

Any player is a product of all the clubs they played for.

Community clubs are super important.

Scholarships then develop the advanced further.

Academy hopefully get them to 1st grade level.

All are important.

On a side note, Olly Russell played for Wigan, he is son of Richard Russell, former Wigan, Cass and Oldham. Had the fortune to be at Oldham the same time as him and he was a brilliant player and a top bloke too👍

3 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Whilst it is nice to see homegrown or club trained players coming through, a successful club has a balance of homegrown /club trained and top quality signings. Thats what Wigan, Saints and Leeds have done for years. 

That's not my point, i was meaning in the current climate and how squads/games are being affected how much do clubs currently rely on and how well are the academy products benefitting the team or not in some cases hence my original post with stats that i have asked to compare.

The title of the thread is academy products, I think a few on here need to stop being so pedantic. 

If lads are from Wakey Halifax etc then why are these lads not playing for their academys thats the question for their clubs to answer

3 minutes ago, yipyee said:

The title of the thread is academy products, I think a few on here need to stop being do pedantic. 

If lads are from Wakey Halifax etc then why are these lads not playing for their academys thats the question for their clubs to answer

Because the player gets to chose which club if there are 2 or more interested. They always, usually, chose the best teams.

Some don't even have academies 

4 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Without looking at the stats, these ten home-grown Saints players go alright. Admittedly beyond this there's a bit of a drop-off! 

1. Welsby

2. Makinson

3. Simm

4. Percival

5. Grace

6. Lomax

7. Dodd

8. Lees

9. Roby

10. Knowles

A drop off no, there are saints academy products all the way through SL

Hull: Savelio, Swift

Cas: Richardson,

NRL: Thompson,

Hudds: Jones, gaskell, greenwood

Leeds: Eastmond (start of season)

Leigh: Eaves, Foster

Salford: Costello

15 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Because the player gets to chose which club if there are 2 or more interested. They always, usually, chose the best teams.

Some don't even have academies 

Yep, and there you go, also young players will chose the clubs who have the best record at promoting the youth through the system.

If a club doesnt have an academy they cannot have any 'homegrown' players simple as.

Theres no reason why some clubs couldnt have thrieving academys looking at the community clubs where they are based. This would then lead to strong first teams on the pitch with a few signings to plug the gaps

1 hour ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Any player is a product of all the clubs they played for.

Community clubs are super important.

Scholarships then develop the advanced further.

Academy hopefully get them to 1st grade level.

All are important.

On a side note, Olly Russell played for Wigan, he is son of Richard Russell, former Wigan, Cass and Oldham. Had the fortune to be at Oldham the same time as him and he was a brilliant player and a top bloke too👍

Thats a great pyramid structure and all teams should be structured this way

Archived