Academy products

daz39

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Amir Borough signs for Salford. Been involved with Wigan since he were 14 and thrown on the RL scrap heap at Salford at just 20 years old. As we have seen at Halifax this season, a quality player who should have been playing regular Championship rugby for at least the last couple of years.

How many Halifax lads are currently playing in SL? I count around 11

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

How many Halifax lads are currently playing in SL? I count around 11

I nearly got that number just from Huddersfield and Leeds. Id estimate its probably somewhere around the 30 mark but without going through each squad hard to say fro certain. I got:- Morgan Gannon, Kruise Leeming, Alex Mellor, Tom Holroyd, Levi Edwards, the Wardle Brothers, Chester Butler and Adam Obrien from those 2 teams.  Others off the top of my head like Borough, Riley Dean, Jake Connor, Morgan Smithies, Nial Evalds, Etahn Ryan, and Gareth Widdop. At Fax alone we have a raft of ex Super League halifax born players.

Edit: Tried to keep it as accurate as possible but Kruise Leeming wasn't born in Halifax and obviously Widdop moved from Halifax at a young age but also not included players from out of the area who played in the Siddal ranks.

5 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Amir Borough signs for Salford. Been involved with Wigan since he were 14 and thrown on the RL scrap heap at Salford at just 20 years old. As we have seen at Halifax this season, a quality player who should have been playing regular Championship rugby for at least the last couple of years.

The RL scrap heap seems awfully harsh.

55 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I nearly got that number just from Huddersfield and Leeds. Id estimate its probably somewhere around the 30 mark but without going through each squad hard to say fro certain. I got:- Morgan Gannon, Kruise Leeming, Alex Mellor, Tom Holroyd, Levi Edwards, the Wardle Brothers, Chester Butler and Adam Obrien from those 2 teams.  Others off the top of my head like Borough, Riley Dean, Jake Connor, Morgan Smithies, Nial Evalds, Etahn Ryan, and Gareth Widdop. At Fax alone we have a raft of ex Super League halifax born players.

Edit: Tried to keep it as accurate as possible but Kruise Leeming wasn't born in Halifax and obviously Widdop moved from Halifax at a young age but also not included players from out of the area who played in the Siddal ranks.

Leeming played for Siddal though and he went to a local high school. 

I think there might be another Gannon at Warrington also

58 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Leeming played for Siddal though and he went to a local high school. 

I think there might be another Gannon at Warrington also

Yeah Jacob but not sure if he has played a game yet. To be fair Im not sure Chester Butler has played SL for Hudds yet or not. Its a rugby league hot bed and its just a shame Halifax have no chance of signing these players until they are chucked away by SL teams. But that's just the way it is.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

The RL scrap heap seems awfully harsh.

Yeah was a slight joke but the point still stands that the lad really should have been developing his game playing regular rugby. Ive no doubt he has the talent to make an impact at SL level. I thought we had the best Championship hooker in Bradon Moore this season but Bourough was a class above to the point that Moore has played at times as a makeshift 13.

On 19/08/2021 at 14:07, The Blues Ox said:

Levi Edwards he’s a heavy woollen product- siddal got him 18 months before he signed 

50 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Levi Edwards he’s a heavy woollen product- siddal got him 18 months before he signed 

Yep, played for Batley Boys against my brother. Was a foot taller than the rest of the players on the pitch.

On 19/08/2021 at 16:02, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah Jacob but not sure if he has played a game yet. To be fair Im not sure Chester Butler has played SL for Hudds yet or not. Its a rugby league hot bed and its just a shame Halifax have no chance of signing these players until they are chucked away by SL teams. But that's just the way it is.

Halifax was in pole position, what happened in the early 00s who was chairman/owner that let it all slip away? 

On 15/08/2021 at 21:45, Chris Taylor said:

If he did it the right way, there crowds wouldn't be declining and have been since 2010 - whilst also cheap season tickets.

spacer.png 

Now do that for all the clubs in the last decade. Lets see how many have kept numbers up

On 14/08/2021 at 10:36, daz39 said:

Not wanting to start a 'my dads bigger than your dad' argument but how much impact do your teams homegrown players have in your side currently?

At Huddersfield our homegrown scorers this season are :

Tries

McGillvary 11

Jake Wardle 5

Cudjoe 4

Wood 4

Mcintosh 4

Lawrence 2

Pryce 2

Senior 1

English 1

Toal of 34 out of 63

Goals

Russell 21

Pryce 5

Wardle 5

Total of 31 from 56

Total points scored by Homegrown players - 210 from 366

Indeed in our last 5 games 100 of our 120 points have been scored by home grown products, great for our club as it means we have a very bright future and some excellent young talent here but how does it compare to other clubs? 

Can anyone give me the corresponding stats for their club please?

Oli Russell didn’t come through Huddersfield academy he came via the Wigan system 

loads of Siddal kids doing well cos they had it others struggling cos they were just part of a good team this happens because of lazy scouting process from SL teams 

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

Halifax was in pole position, what happened in the early 00s who was chairman/owner that let it all slip away? 

To be fair the rot had started long before then thanks to a certain bloke who would later go on to run the RFL and now in charge of another Championship club. From finishing 3rd in 98 to been on the verge of admin and our coach walking away because we could not afford to pay our players was a disgrace. Back to academy pplayers though, Halifax never really had much of a relationship with Siddal as the amateur club always used to complain about Fax just coming in and taking their players and them getting nothing in return. The irony is that is exactly what goes on now its just that its not Fax doing it.

Its ridiculous how badly amateur teams are treated by the profesional game as despite clubs been able to claim homegrown players or academy products, its the amateur teams that bring players to the game and develop their skills from an early age and really get nothing for it. Its a credit to Siddal that their set up is so good(probably up there with most league one teams at the very least) that parents will bring their kids from out of town just for a chance to play for the best amateur team in the country as seen with Will Pryce and as above Levi Edwards.

14 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

To be fair the rot had started long before then thanks to a certain bloke who would later go on to run the RFL and now in charge of another Championship club. From finishing 3rd in 98 to been on the verge of admin and our coach walking away because we could not afford to pay our players was a disgrace. Back to academy pplayers though, Halifax never really had much of a relationship with Siddal as the amateur club always used to complain about Fax just coming in and taking their players and them getting nothing in return. The irony is that is exactly what goes on now its just that its not Fax doing it.

Its ridiculous how badly amateur teams are treated by the profesional game as despite clubs been able to claim homegrown players or academy products, its the amateur teams that bring players to the game and develop their skills from an early age and really get nothing for it. Its a credit to Siddal that their set up is so good(probably up there with most league one teams at the very least) that parents will bring their kids from out of town just for a chance to play for the best amateur team in the country as seen with Will Pryce and as above Levi Edwards.

Siddal, along with Stanningley and a few others have established their junior section as a bit of a Super Club that people travel to to get scouted, Edwards being a prime example.

12 hours ago, Ant said:

Now do that for all the clubs in the last decade. Lets see how many have kept numbers up

That's my point - all these "Super" clubs just do the minimum requirements - staying alive and not actually growing. Then celebrating the fact they are doing well because they are still going.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

3 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

That's my point - all these "Super" clubs just do the minimum requirements - staying alive and not actually growing. Then celebrating the fact they are doing well because they are still going.

How many clubs have grown crowds? One? Three? Or none.

2 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Have a look around on the web, it'll tell you.

So you are happy with these SL clubs underperforming and not growing?

Not at all, but you singled out one club in what seemed to be a very specific way.

Oh, and the answer is no club has grown their numbers in the last decade and all clubs have seen spectator numbers decline.

I'm sure there are a variety of reasons for this; economics, league structure and game scheduling being key ones but it's a factor that's blighted all clubs, not just one

What can be said though is that the giants crowds have declined even in the face of some real success in the first half of the decade and a lot of effort to attract fans throughout- and a lot of effort has been expanded by the Giants

What they still do though is a lot of community work, support of local talent and making sure their infrastructure is sound rather than buying in journeyman to gain a flash in the pan season 

11 minutes ago, Ant said:

Not at all, but you singled out one club in what seemed to be a very specific way.

Oh, and the answer is no club has grown their numbers in the last decade and all clubs have seen spectator numbers decline.

I'm sure there are a variety of reasons for this; economics, league structure and game scheduling being key ones but it's a factor that's blighted all clubs, not just one

What can be said though is that the giants crowds have declined even in the face of some real success in the first half of the decade and a lot of effort to attract fans throughout- and a lot of effort has been expanded by the Giants

What they still do though is a lot of community work, support of local talent and making sure their infrastructure is sound rather than buying in journeyman to gain a flash in the pan season 

I singled out Huddersfield because users were discussing Huddersfield.

The answer isn't no clubs, Catalans have increased attendances (up to 2019) by 4,000 people. 

All that hardwork by Huddersfield - where have they gone? why have the gone?

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

On 21/08/2021 at 15:42, Ant said:

How many clubs have grown crowds? One? Three? Or none.

Depends on the timespan or rolling average etc..

Its been done to death but Saints were 7k and went upto 14k do doubled. A couple of years of decline but there is no emphasis to drive this up unless the salary cap is raised

Archived