Referee appointments

Last night’s game between Salford and Huddersfield was refereed by Chris Kendall of the Huddersfield Referee’s Society and the game between Hull KR and Wigan was refereed by Liam Moore of the Wigan Referee’s Society. I’m not suggesting that any referee is biased towards or against any team but surely for these games it would have made more sense for these appointments to have been reversed so as to avoid any such accusation.

4 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

I’m not suggesting that any referee is biased towards or against any team but surely for these games it would have made more sense for these appointments to have been reversed so as to avoid any such accusation.

I disagree. We should stand on the principle that any such accusation is ludicrous.

Just now, unapologetic pedant said:

I disagree. We should stand on the principle that any such accusation is ludicrous.

I agree with you but human nature tends to take over as is shown by the criticism of referees on this forum. Had last night’s results been reversed we could have had accusations of bias.

9 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Just to play devils advocate, the vast majority seem to believe we should have neutral referees for internationals. What is the difference?

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

Just to play devils advocate, the vast majority seem to believe we should have neutral referees for internationals. What is the difference?

Define neutral for a domestic competition. 

Is it where you were born? Where you currently live? Or which Club you support?

In this day and age the latter question is the most important 

45 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Last night’s game between Salford and Huddersfield was refereed by Chris Kendall of the Huddersfield Referee’s Society and the game between Hull KR and Wigan was refereed by Liam Moore of the Wigan Referee’s Society. I’m not suggesting that any referee is biased towards or against any team but surely for these games it would have made more sense for these appointments to have been reversed so as to avoid any such accusation.

These types of appointments are nothing new. The rules changed many years ago. Definitely over 10 years ago.

35 minutes ago, LeeF said:

These types of appointments are nothing new. The rules changed many years ago. Definitely over 10 years ago.

I’m aware of that because, for example, Steve Ganson must have refereed St.Helens on several occasions. The point I’m trying to make is, why put referees in this situation? Hull KR we’re convincing winners last night with a 12 point margin but imagine the outcry had Wigan been in a position to win the game in the last minute and had done so by scoring a try from a forward pass not spotted by the WIGAN referee.

5 minutes ago, CmonTheBorough said:

Every single person on the planet is biased, albeit subconsciously, on any given issue. Why do we expect referees to be above this?

If that’s the case don’t have a Wigan or Huddersfield referee officiating at a Wigan or Huddersfield game and so on.

9 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

If that’s the case don’t have a Wigan or Huddersfield referee officiating at a Wigan or Huddersfield game and so on.

You could have a Wigan-based referee who hates Wigan RLFC for some reason and a Huddersfield-based referee who has something against that club.

Subconsciously every ref thinks we should lose the game they are officiating , and we do , Leeds Quarter backs threw loads of forward passes last night before eventually Mr Hicks heard me and started pulling them 😉

57 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

I’m aware of that because, for example, Steve Ganson must have refereed St.Helens on several occasions. The point I’m trying to make is, why put referees in this situation? Hull KR we’re convincing winners last night with a 12 point margin but imagine the outcry had Wigan been in a position to win the game in the last minute and had done so by scoring a try from a forward pass not spotted by the WIGAN referee.

I didn’t agree with Ganson refereeing Saints but not because he was a member of the St Helens RLRS but because Saints were the club he supported. That was wrong on a number of levels. 
I would have no problem or issue with say a Wigan referee who supports say Warrington doing a Wigan game 

And yes I did officiate my local professional clubs but did turn down/ return an appointment involving the club I support

50 minutes ago, DavidM said:

What’s the opposite of neutral referee ? Good decisions or poor decisions I’m sure all refs go out to be neutral 

I agree David. To not appoint a fan of a club to a game involving that club is just best practice

5 minutes ago, LeeF said:

I didn’t agree with Ganson refereeing Saints but not because he was a member of the St Helens RLRS but because Saints were the club he supported. That was wrong on a number of levels. 
I would have no problem or issue with say a Wigan referee who supports say Warrington doing a Wigan game 

And yes I did officiate my local professional clubs but did turn down/ return an appointment involving the club I support

So you never agree with Miklauskas being given Wigan games, then?

18 minutes ago, CmonTheBorough said:

You could have a Wigan-based referee who hates Wigan RLFC for some reason and a Huddersfield-based referee who has something against that club.

Agree, especially one that has held a grudge since been released from a particularly clubs academy and has a perception of not being given a chance but that doesn't fit with the conspiracy theories.

24 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Is he a Wigan fan? If so then no for numerous reasons irrespective of whether he gets all decisions correct

Yeah, a pretty big one or at least, was a pretty big fan. Someone dug up some anti-Saints stuff on his Facebook from about twelve years ago a few years ago but it was before the whole “cancel culture” thing really took off. I don’t know how often he gets Wigan games in all honesty or ever noticing him when he has done and they’ve been televised. 

I must admit that I hadn’t thought about the possibility of, for example, a Wigan referee being a supporter of another club. Another twist to this is former referee Colin Morris who I believe was a Huddersfield society member but came from St.Helens. I don’t know if he ever refereed Huddersfield but was definitely in charge for several St.Helens games which, by the way, didn’t always result in a win for them.

There always used to be moans about the county that the referee came from if it was a cross-county game ( eg Leeds - Wigan, Saints - Huddersfield). Fans will always perceive bias, RFL intervention, Asian bookmaker manipulation etc rather than their team actually deserving to lose.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, CmonTheBorough said:

Every single person on the planet is biased, albeit subconsciously, on any given issue. Why do we expect referees to be above this?

Because they are trained, qualified, assessed, monitored and subject to club and media scrutiny.

1 hour ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

I must admit that I hadn’t thought about the possibility of, for example, a Wigan referee being a supporter of another club. Another twist to this is former referee Colin Morris who I believe was a Huddersfield society member but came from St.Helens. I don’t know if he ever refereed Huddersfield but was definitely in charge for several St.Helens games which, by the way, didn’t always result in a win for them.

Indeed. To quote another example of a referee off the top of my head, most people would have put Stuart Cummings down as a Widnes referee. He’s originally from Whitehaven.

Archived