Toulouse v Halifax

jamescolin

1 hour ago, lingaro said:

Double negative I'm not sure what you're trying to say. 🤔

Do you think it would be right and fair to exclude Toulouse from the league this year.Is that plain enough for you?

Can you please explain what my agenda is because I don't know.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Do you think it would be right and fair to exclude Toulouse from the league this year.Is that plain enough for you?

Can you please explain what my agenda is because I don't know.

Yes.  Considering we are on the middle of a global Pandemic I do.  TO we're happy enough in the French league. 

Anything that is negative towards Featherstone, as long as it is detrimental towards Featherstone then that's just fine. 

1 hour ago, lingaro said:

Yes.  Considering we are on the middle of a global Pandemic I do.  TO we're happy enough in the French league. 

Anything that is negative towards Featherstone, as long as it is detrimental towards Featherstone then that's just fine. 

How do you know TO were happy enough in the french league?

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

How do you know TO were happy enough in the french league?

Plenty of comments about how unfair it all is. I've yet to see a proposal for a better solution for all parties... 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

27 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Plenty of comments about how unfair it all is. I've yet to see a proposal for a better solution for all parties... 

And the likely outcome for Fev. would be the same whatever system was used. Beat Toulouse in a one off match. Tough, but surely no harder than going to Toronto and beating them with absolutely everything against you!

4 hours ago, lingaro said:

For the record, Lingaro, Toulouse still are 'happy' - well, at least competing in - the French league...leagues, in fact, as they have teams in both Elite 1 (ie all age adults) and, when it's allowed to take place, the U19 championship.

Speaking personally (and that is all I can do), it is not 'fine' to be negative towards Fev, or want them to have detrimental situations foisted upon them.  They featured in the very first game of RL I ever saw live, and so will always be a team for whom I have a liking.  I also like their 'can do' attitude in more recent matters like their ground redevelopment.

However, I do not think that they should be able to avoid a cross-channel challenge for a place in Super League Europe.  The clue to my reasoning is in the official title of the SL competition.  As it happens, I don't favour P+R as the means for getting teams into (or out of!) SL, but must recognise that I am very probably in a minority on these pages in holding that view.  Nevertheless, as long as there is P+R, then we must include in that process all those who are able to make a realistic challenge for it. 

That includes both Fev and TO.

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

For the record, Lingaro, Toulouse still are 'happy' - well, at least competing in - the French league...leagues, in fact, as they have teams in both Elite 1 (ie all age adults) and, when it's allowed to take place, the U19 championship.

Speaking personally (and that is all I can do), it is not 'fine' to be negative towards Fev, or want them to have detrimental situations foisted upon them.  They featured in the very first game of RL I ever saw live, and so will always be a team for whom I have a liking.  I also like their 'can do' attitude in more recent matters like their ground redevelopment.

However, I do not think that they should be able to avoid a cross-channel challenge for a place in Super League Europe.  The clue to my reasoning is in the official title of the SL competition.  As it happens, I don't favour P+R as the means for getting teams into (or out of!) SL, but must recognise that I am very probably in a minority on these pages in holding that view.  Nevertheless, as long as there is P+R, then we must include in that process all those who are able to make a realistic challenge for it. 

That includes both Fev and TO.

Does that include playing the same number of games to mount a fair challenge?

1 minute ago, lingaro said:

Does that include playing the same number of games to mount a fair challenge?

No.  As you yourself noted, there is a global pandemic on, so an abnormal league process has to be used..  Nor does it include any special compensation for having to play almost 100% of your games away or at neutral venues, so tough luck, Toulouse. 

But it does include having a robust system in place to compensate for the difficulties this year.  The RFL sought to put such a system in place, with percentages rather than actual points being the key factor in terms of positions in the table.  In the circumstances, I think they came up with a sensible and pragmatic solution.  At least all teams knew the process before the season began.  Nobody forced Fev, or any other team, to take part!

With the percentage system, playing fewer games is a disadvantage.  If TO lose a game, that loss will constitute a greater percentage of their overall available points, putting them below us.  All we had to do to go above them was draw!

I assume you all think the RFL devised this system to help TO and disadvantage us?  I'm not entirely sure how that works.

Personally, I am a typical parochial RL fan and I don't believe overseas teams should be part of the UK league structure, I honestly don't see how it helps the French (or Canadian) game particularly and adds nothing to our game either, unless someone has some indisputable evidence to the contrary.  I'm Featherstone through and through, but other than Maurice Lindsay and Chris Caisley, I can't see that the RFL, or anyone else, have it in for us.

27 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

What also hasn't been mentioned, is that  Toulouse have the disadvantage of playing all their matches so far away from home.

NO they don't  they are just playing their regular away fixtures, fixtures they would have played in the UK with or without covid

3 hours ago, POR said:

NO they don't  they are just playing their regular away fixtures, fixtures they would have played in the UK with or without covid

They aren't playing any home matches though, are they?. An advantage for them, though, is by playing fewer matches their players are fresher, and they won't be picking up as many injuries. At the end of the day, who ever wins the Grand Final, will have won it on merit.

25 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

They aren't playing any home matches though, are they?. An advantage for them, though, is by playing fewer matches their players are fresher, and they won't be picking up as many injuries. At the end of the day, who ever wins the Grand Final, will have won it on merit.

That's true who ever wins the Grand Final, will have won it on merit.

But  please tell me in your opinion from your last two posts what has had more bearing on their  season because it can't be both😀

Toulouse have the disadvantage of playing all their matches so far away from home. 

OR

An advantage for them, though, is by playing fewer matches

On 17/08/2021 at 22:35, gittinsfan said:

Before I buy your bridge,bearing in mind the situation,what in your opinion is the fair and reasonable way to go.

I really am interested to hear your insightful opinion.

I'll answer that - not letting Toulouse enter the competition this year with everything going off. 

We'll lose to Toulouse in the final.  It will be close but they'll come through due to having a fresher full strength squad against our depleted squad who have played twice as many games.

We constantly go on about the game going down the pan yet It makes itself look foolish. Come to think of it the last ridiculous decision was to allow Toronto to play against part time teams.  That also ended up with us hammering every other team (with a rightful place) but being #### on.

On 19/08/2021 at 18:40, POR said:

That's true who ever wins the Grand Final, will have won it on merit.

But  please tell me in your opinion from your last two posts what has had more bearing on their  season because it can't be both😀

Toulouse have the disadvantage of playing all their matches so far away from home. 

OR

An advantage for them, though, is by playing fewer matches

Definitely the biggest advantage is playing fewer matches. I'm pretty sure that Fev would rather play Toulouse away with James Harrison, Jack Bussey, Brad Day and Thomas Minns fit and available, plus Dane Chisholm who was out injured when they played them, and Craig Kopczak and Junior Moores who are currently out but hope to be back for the play-offs, than play them at home without them? All picked up injuries through playing which might not have happened with less fixtures? Also, don't forget that Fev are unbeaton away from home.

It is deathly silent IF we do get to the final , which we should do as things stand, by the RFL is where do we play this final. It has always been at the home of the leading team at the end of the regular season. BUT we are so far not allowed to travel to France by the RFL edict, ????? Over to you RFL

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

I'll answer that - not letting Toulouse enter the competition this year with everything going off. 

We'll lose to Toulouse in the final.  It will be close but they'll come through due to having a fresher full strength squad against our depleted squad who have played twice as many games.

We constantly go on about the game going down the pan yet It makes itself look foolish. Come to think of it the last ridiculous decision was to allow Toronto to play against part time teams.  That also ended up with us hammering every other team (with a rightful place) but being #### on.

So you think it would have been right and fair to exclude Toulouse this season.

Without Leigh and Toulouse Fev would have been given a free run to SL.Do you think that would have been right and fair.

3 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

So you think it would have been right and fair to exclude Toulouse this season.

Without Leigh and Toulouse Fev would have been given a free run to SL.Do you think that would have been right and fair.

A big yes to the former.  Is there no point at which you would have excluded them this year ?  What if there was no travel to or from France ? - would you allow them to win the league having played no games ?

What have Leigh got to do with it ?  For the record the last time we played them we stuffed them in the play offs. (One of their last games before being handed a place in SL)  FFS don't tell me you think Leigh have ever been treated unfairly....

33 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

A big yes to the former.  Is there no point at which you would have excluded them this year ?  What if there was no travel to or from France ? - would you allow them to win the league having played no games ?

What have Leigh got to do with it ?  For the record the last time we played them we stuffed them in the play offs. (One of their last games before being handed a place in SL)  FFS don't tell me you think Leigh have ever been treated unfairly....

I know Beaumont took on the SL place and yes you can argue he knew what he was letting the club in for.... but duck me wi t'curly end of a Raja's slipper.... they have been proper rolled over. 

7 hours ago, haskey said:

It is deathly silent IF we do get to the final , which we should do as things stand, by the RFL is where do we play this final. It has always been at the home of the leading team at the end of the regular season. BUT we are so far not allowed to travel to France by the RFL edict, ????? Over to you RFL

Not just the final, but all the play-off games should be held at neutral venus, because it can be a lottery where teams finish in the league.

Take Halifax and Batley for instance:- Fax have lost 5, but if they had played against Toulouse they would probably have been on lost 6 out of 18, same as Batley. The Bulldogs on the other hand played Fev the other week and lost when they could have called it off, so they would have been on lost 5 out of 17. They have also played Toulouse and lost, so would have been on only 4 defeats if that game had been cancelled. So if they were drawn in the play=offs it would be grossly unfair to give one or the other home advantage.

Archived