Close finish to the regular season with Lae Snax Tigers taking the minor premiership on equal points to Mendi Muruks and Waghi Tumbe. Muruks had been top of the table, but lost 0-6 at home to Moresby Vipers who finished 4th. Hela Wigmen in 5th and Agmark Gurias (6th) completing the play-off positions. 

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Close finish to the regular season with Lae Snax Tigers taking the minor premiership on equal points to Mendi Muruks and Waghi Tumbe. Muruks had been top of the table, but lost 0-6 at home to Moresby Vipers who finished 4th. Hela Wigmen in 5th and Agmark Gurias (6th) completing the play-off positions. 

I've been watching quite a few games on ytube , very enjoyable 

1 hour ago, henage said:

Some of the grounds have amazing backdrops that you just get a glimpse of in passing.

2 hours ago, henage said:

How`s the size of the forwards, do they have many regular size front-rowers, I thought that perhaps being a nation of shorter stature it might hold them back on the international scene if they can`t put together decent size forward packs. 

We seem to see so many players of all shapes and sizes come out of the Pacific Islands but given its`s size and fanaticism towards League we are yet to see many Papuans.

• 2 weeks later...

That minor semi-final was quite a game, almost 20 mins of extra time to get the golden point. The Waghi Tumbe full back had a storming game - couldn't work out if his name is Jesse Mathew, or Mathew Jesse.

Waghi Tumbes beat the Mendi Muruks 31-16 in the Major Semi Final and will play Lae Snax Tigers in the Grand Final next weekend. First time a team from Jiwaka province has made the final. 

Loved seeing the traditional costumes and face/body painting being worn by some of the Muruks fans, makes a change from polyester replica jerseys 😉

Archived