Reasons to continue with League One

1 minute ago, Damien said:

The RFL have always got a share of the TV money for administration. 

Yes, but the amount has always been negotiable. This is one of the issues under consideration, I understand, where the RFL claims that it needs more money for administration than the whole of C1 "need" for existence and development.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, JF1 said:

I was at a meeting recently.We were told that each League 1 club would receive at amount no greater than £30,000 each,possibly even zilch.

The figure I heard was half that. All rumours at the moment but really not good news. Hoping there'll be something more positive this week 

I've not read most of the above posts, apologies. For me though, and I'm a member of Our League but not a subscriber, if Our Leagues ourput gave me a few random free games in the Wonenens Super League and the Championship, league 1 and academy, and a decent highlights package which included the french league, I'd happily part with 10 to 15 quid a month. If they wanted to put big games on as add on subscriptions on top of this, that would be fine with me. 

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

This point , was looking at it for Championship but let´s say we have 10 L1 teams, that´s 750,000 pound. 

If you were using the OuRLeague App to cover costs you would need 6500-7000 people paying 12 pound a month for a year. 

Are there 7000 people who would be happy to pay 12 quid a month for a year for a League 1 game a week?

For the Championship, you´d need 12,000 giving 12 quid a month and that would get you 100k each. 

If there was more the app could offer. (Champ game a week, some international 9´s games with a bit of wheelchair) maybe but that still a tough sell. 

Think it's safe to say this wouldn't fund the clubs on it's own. 

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

No I´m thinking the central funding loss of 75k for League 1. Or a bit of money for Champ. Noone is going to pay tv rights for either and it´s hard to justify giving anymore money to clubs who don´t contribute to the value of the TV deal. 

What about the contribution they make as nurseries for the production of top class players, providing opportunities for aspiring youngsters to progress beyond League 1. For providing fans, to fill Old Trafford for the Grand Final and St James Park during magic weekend.

Just because SKY don't want to televise their games, doesn't mean they have no value.

Often when a limb is amputated, the patient dies.

I urge these, self absorbed powerbrokers, to think twice before cutting off healthy limbs.

11 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

What about the contribution they make as nurseries for the production of top class players, providing opportunities for aspiring youngsters to progress beyond League 1. For providing fans, to fill Old Trafford for the Grand Final and St James Park during magic weekend.

Just because SKY don't want to televise their games, doesn't mean they have no value.

Often when a limb is amputated, the patient dies.

I urge these, self absorbed powerbrokers, to think twice before cutting off healthy limbs.

Yeah but this amputation is more 127 Hours than "oops we cut off the wrong leg!".

I agree with keeping League 1.

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I think you can actually make that case easier for League 1 than Championship, that´s just taken money with no roi and the rfl has no infrastructure to show for it. How many fans are Oldham and Swinton really providing and what facilities. Why are we giving money based on finishing position when that just creats a perverse matthews effect where clubs just work off that money. 

I support a club in Champ, it´s a great comp but no way has it been worth the amount of cash put into it with nothing to show in return. 

We need to define what we want ''in return'', or we'll never get it.

One of the problems with concentrating all the tv money in the (current) top clubs, is it provides a comfort level which doesn't encourage them to develop other income streams.

In a perfect world, the clubs would be self sustaining and the tv money would be cream for the already profitable clubs.

There's a goal to aspire to.

How about some new, outside the box ideas, for moving forward? 

12 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I support a club in Champ, it´s a great comp but no way has it been worth the amount of cash put into it with nothing to show in return. 

Isn't that good enough? I am interested in what are the expectations of the Championship? From Clubs? SL? RFL? Us all?

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

This point , was looking at it for Championship but let´s say we have 10 L1 teams, that´s 750,000 pound. 

If you were using the OuRLeague App to cover costs you would need 6500-7000 people paying 12 pound a month for a year. 

Are there 7000 people who would be happy to pay 12 quid a month for a year for a League 1 game a week?

For the Championship, you´d need 12,000 giving 12 quid a month and that would get you 100k each. 

If there was more the app could offer. (Champ game a week, some international 9´s games with a bit of wheelchair) maybe but that still a tough sell. 

Based on the viewing figures for league 1 games on ourleague this year its highly unlikely. Some games had less than a 100 subscribers. 

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

A well run Champ would be a hub of community activity with a few clubs that use it as an incubation chamber before stepping up, same for players. To do this they need a proper home that generates rev and place for community work. So  Swinton (homeless, no) Oldham (homeless, no). Dewsbury (3g facilities, yep) Sheffield (previously no but with new stadium yep.) 

If we had the money it would be 100k to each team that meets the requirements and nothing to the rest. As we don´t have the money, I´m inclined to give nothing to anyone. 

So that's your view. What about the other game stakeholders I mentioned? 

And how many clubs would you suggest meet those criteria? And to keep it on thread, would those apply to League 1 too?

A plan is needed to help keep League 1 even if it's just as development league for new and existing clubs to join and build into stronger outfits. 

Junior pathways, community development, schools engagement, marketing and promotion and building supporter bases need to be the areas that clubs need to focus on. Funding could be given based on these set of criteria with the amount given related to how many of the criteria they meet. 

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

A plan is needed to help keep League 1 even if it's just as development league for new and existing clubs to join and build into stronger outfits. 

Junior pathways, community development, schools engagement, marketing and promotion and building supporter bases need to be the areas that clubs need to focus on. Funding could be given based on these set of criteria with the amount given related to how many of the criteria they meet. 

Absolutely.

Even if funding was cut to £50,000, in proportion to the TV deal reduction  that is only £600,000 for 12 teams. It really is nothing for the stepping stone that league 1 provides and it does help to expand the games national footprint, which I feel is important.

I refuse to believe that SL clubs can't make do with £50,000 less, it's not even the average wage of 1 player.

With the Sky Tv deal reducing cuts need to be made, Super League, Championship and League 1 will all likely receive less than before. I found an old article that had the breakdown as 80% going to Super League, 8% Championship and 1% to League One. I think it’s hard to justify why the Championship should get 8 times the funding of League One, the two should be much closer together IMO, no wonder there’s such a big gap from Championship to League One. 

The five-year deal breaks down as follows:

£146,760,000, or 80 per cent, will go to Super League clubs.

£14,576,000 or 8 per cent, will go to the twelve Championship clubs in the second tier.

£1,822,000, or one per cent, will go to the Championship One clubs.

£20,042,000, or 11 per cent, will be paid for Challenge Cup and internationals coverage.

On 16/08/2021 at 23:32, thebrewxi said:

I've not read most of the above posts, apologies. For me though, and I'm a member of Our League but not a subscriber, if Our Leagues ourput gave me a few random free games in the Wonenens Super League and the Championship, league 1 and academy, and a decent highlights package which included the french league, I'd happily part with 10 to 15 quid a month. If they wanted to put big games on as add on subscriptions on top of this, that would be fine with me. 

I think the addition of wheel chair RL and PDRL on a regular basis could/will make OurLeague a superb diverse and inclusive example of the sport

There many, many reasons to stick with League One. I'd like to keep the structure the same and continuous. EG it has allowed Barrow a chance to regroup and repromote the club. Could that have happened as well if they were losing regular in the Championship? 

We have London, Wales X2 and Coventry represented in the division.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

On 17/08/2021 at 14:02, Tommygilf said:

Yeah but this amputation is more 127 Hours than "oops we cut off the wrong leg!".

I agree with keeping League 1.

I'm just against (I've said it elsewhere, so forgive me if you already seen it) thinking of the lower clubs as gangrenous extremities that need to be cut off and cast aside.

I don't think they are ''the problem''.

The SL clubs need to develop other sources of income and not sit back, reliant on the SKY money.

They also need to ensure, that the product (throughout the league and) at the top end is attractive enough to pull more viewers. 

On 18/08/2021 at 15:01, fighting irish said:

I'm just against (I've said it elsewhere, so forgive me if you already seen it) thinking of the lower clubs as gangrenous extremities that need to be cut off and cast aside.

The SL clubs need to develop other sources of income and not sit back, reliant on the SKY money.

They also need to ensure, that the product (throughout the league and) at the top end is attractive enough to pull more viewers. 

On 18/08/2021 at 15:01, fighting irish said:

Just looking at other recent sports deals - a sponsor has backed the Womens Golf competition at Carnoostie to the tune of £5.8millions increasing to £6.8millions next year with the winner receiving almost half a million!  

There are sponsors out there the SL clubs and the RFL need to be selling our game to these people. Or is the game just too stale? I watche a few of the Hundred cricket games and the grounds were sold out.

We have a fantastic game; the game isn't the problem - someone with the nous need to be able to sell it to sponsors.

Just been out this afternoon in a League 1 town and ran into a friend... 

My mate is a long time supporter of our local team, passed on from Dad , as well as being a regular supporter of our local team, my mate along with Dad and other family members are always to be found at the CC cup final, Old Trafford and many internationals / other RL occasions.... 

My mates husband is a long time amateur player at a social level of the game 

My mates daughter and son both played the game from an early age. Daughter now plays for the Ladies team attached to our L1 team, her son was signed by a higher level Pro team and is doing pretty well after being spotted in a local team to the L1 club.. Even if he doesn't make it with the SL team he might well return to his roots and make a cracking lower league level player... 

So let's go a few years on if the RFL effectively condemn our local L1 team to demise as they are no longer ' viable ... 

My mate and her family are lost to the game.Not just losing players but support, goodwill and volunteers that make the game in its current form what it is.

But hey let's just screw over the L1  clubs... ###### up people like my mate...Few thousand quid more to the bigger clubs and just cut adrift aa huge wedge of the sport  and won't affect the games infrastructure ?? .... My ###### x

4 hours ago, gogledd said:

Just looking at other recent sports deals - a sponsor has backed the Womens Golf competition at Carnoostie to the tune of £5.8millions increasing to £6.8millions next year with the winner receiving almost half a million!  

There are sponsors out there the SL clubs and the RFL need to be selling our game to these people. Or is the game just too stale? I watche a few of the Hundred cricket games and the grounds were sold out.

We have a fantastic game; the game isn't the problem - someone with the nous need to be able to sell it to sponsors.

That's what Elstone was brought in to do but, yeah you know the rest..... 

2 hours ago, Rach said:

Just been out this afternoon in a League 1 town and run into a friend... 

My mate is a long time supporter of our local team, passed on from Dad , as well as being a regular supporter of our local team, my mate along with Dad and other family members are always to be found at the CC cup final, Old Trafford and many internationals / other RL occasions.... 

My mates husband is a long time amateur player at a social level of the game 

My mates daughter and son both played the game from an early age. Daughter now plays for the Ladies team attached to our L1 team, her son was signed by a higher level Pro team and is doing pretty well after being spotted in a local team to the L1 club.. Even if he doesn't make it with the SL team he might well return to his roots and make a cracking lower league level player... 

So let's go a few years on if the RFL effectively condemn our local L1 team to demise as they are no longer ' viable ... 

My mate and her family are lost to the game.. Not just losing players but support goodwill and volunteers that make the game in its current form what it is... 

But hey let's just screw over the L1  clubs... ###### up people like my mate...Few thousand quid won't affect the games infrastructure .... My ###### x

This is exactly it and it's replicated right across the country. We might not lose clubs straight away but it will be death by a thousand cuts for many who will struggle on. 

I do not get the logic that the smallest clubs in the pyramid are expected to be sustainable without any central distribution. 

3 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

This is exactly it and it's replicated right across the country. We might not lose clubs straight away but it will be death by a thousand cuts for many who will struggle on. 

I do not get the logic that the smallest clubs in the pyramid are expected to be sustainable without any central distribution. 

Have another look at Martin's idea, for a change of structure?

Even if it's not a complete solution there are a lot of good ideas in it and to his credit, it is (an attempt at) a whole game solution, paying respects to league one clubs. I say above that the league one clubs are not the problem.

Also, amputating healthy limbs can often lead to the demise of the whole body. It's wise to remember that we are all part of one large inter-dependent organism/organisation.

If people don't want to change the structure, to one where all clubs, fans and backers are truly valued as family members, or to try and create the conditions where new investment might be attracted in, and if the bigger clubs don't want to play against weaker clubs (even if it gives them the opportunity of resting some of their better players and trying out some of their younger ones), and if they insist on a twelve team Super League, then the simplest solution is to distribute any income, pro-rata, on the same relative pay-scale as the previous deal.

That means, if the game gets 25 million instead of 40 million, then every club gets 5/8 of what it had in the last deal.

This has the obvious benefit of demonstrating that we value the whole (RFL) family. 

Archived