Reasons to continue with League One

There many, many reasons to stick with League One. I'd like to keep the structure the same and continuous. EG it has allowed Barrow a chance to regroup and repromote the club. Could that have happened as well if they were losing regular in the Championship? 

We have London, Wales X2 and Coventry represented in the division.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

On 17/08/2021 at 14:02, Tommygilf said:

Yeah but this amputation is more 127 Hours than "oops we cut off the wrong leg!".

I agree with keeping League 1.

I'm just against (I've said it elsewhere, so forgive me if you already seen it) thinking of the lower clubs as gangrenous extremities that need to be cut off and cast aside.

I don't think they are ''the problem''.

The SL clubs need to develop other sources of income and not sit back, reliant on the SKY money.

They also need to ensure, that the product (throughout the league and) at the top end is attractive enough to pull more viewers. 

On 18/08/2021 at 15:01, fighting irish said:

I'm just against (I've said it elsewhere, so forgive me if you already seen it) thinking of the lower clubs as gangrenous extremities that need to be cut off and cast aside.

The SL clubs need to develop other sources of income and not sit back, reliant on the SKY money.

They also need to ensure, that the product (throughout the league and) at the top end is attractive enough to pull more viewers. 

On 18/08/2021 at 15:01, fighting irish said:

Just looking at other recent sports deals - a sponsor has backed the Womens Golf competition at Carnoostie to the tune of £5.8millions increasing to £6.8millions next year with the winner receiving almost half a million!  

There are sponsors out there the SL clubs and the RFL need to be selling our game to these people. Or is the game just too stale? I watche a few of the Hundred cricket games and the grounds were sold out.

We have a fantastic game; the game isn't the problem - someone with the nous need to be able to sell it to sponsors.

• Like 2

Just been out this afternoon in a League 1 town and ran into a friend... 

My mate is a long time supporter of our local team, passed on from Dad , as well as being a regular supporter of our local team, my mate along with Dad and other family members are always to be found at the CC cup final, Old Trafford and many internationals / other RL occasions.... 

My mates husband is a long time amateur player at a social level of the game 

My mates daughter and son both played the game from an early age. Daughter now plays for the Ladies team attached to our L1 team, her son was signed by a higher level Pro team and is doing pretty well after being spotted in a local team to the L1 club.. Even if he doesn't make it with the SL team he might well return to his roots and make a cracking lower league level player... 

So let's go a few years on if the RFL effectively condemn our local L1 team to demise as they are no longer ' viable ... 

My mate and her family are lost to the game.Not just losing players but support, goodwill and volunteers that make the game in its current form what it is.

But hey let's just screw over the L1  clubs... ###### up people like my mate...Few thousand quid more to the bigger clubs and just cut adrift aa huge wedge of the sport  and won't affect the games infrastructure ?? .... My ###### x

Edited by Rach
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gogledd said:

Just looking at other recent sports deals - a sponsor has backed the Womens Golf competition at Carnoostie to the tune of £5.8millions increasing to £6.8millions next year with the winner receiving almost half a million!  

There are sponsors out there the SL clubs and the RFL need to be selling our game to these people. Or is the game just too stale? I watche a few of the Hundred cricket games and the grounds were sold out.

We have a fantastic game; the game isn't the problem - someone with the nous need to be able to sell it to sponsors.

That's what Elstone was brought in to do but, yeah you know the rest..... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rach said:

Just been out this afternoon in a League 1 town and run into a friend... 

My mate is a long time supporter of our local team, passed on from Dad , as well as being a regular supporter of our local team, my mate along with Dad and other family members are always to be found at the CC cup final, Old Trafford and many internationals / other RL occasions.... 

My mates husband is a long time amateur player at a social level of the game 

My mates daughter and son both played the game from an early age. Daughter now plays for the Ladies team attached to our L1 team, her son was signed by a higher level Pro team and is doing pretty well after being spotted in a local team to the L1 club.. Even if he doesn't make it with the SL team he might well return to his roots and make a cracking lower league level player... 

So let's go a few years on if the RFL effectively condemn our local L1 team to demise as they are no longer ' viable ... 

My mate and her family are lost to the game.. Not just losing players but support goodwill and volunteers that make the game in its current form what it is... 

But hey let's just screw over the L1  clubs... ###### up people like my mate...Few thousand quid won't affect the games infrastructure .... My ###### x

This is exactly it and it's replicated right across the country. We might not lose clubs straight away but it will be death by a thousand cuts for many who will struggle on. 

I do not get the logic that the smallest clubs in the pyramid are expected to be sustainable without any central distribution. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

This is exactly it and it's replicated right across the country. We might not lose clubs straight away but it will be death by a thousand cuts for many who will struggle on. 

I do not get the logic that the smallest clubs in the pyramid are expected to be sustainable without any central distribution. 

Have another look at Martin's idea, for a change of structure?

Even if it's not a complete solution there are a lot of good ideas in it and to his credit, it is (an attempt at) a whole game solution, paying respects to league one clubs. I say above that the league one clubs are not the problem.

Also, amputating healthy limbs can often lead to the demise of the whole body. It's wise to remember that we are all part of one large inter-dependent organism/organisation.

If people don't want to change the structure, to one where all clubs, fans and backers are truly valued as family members, or to try and create the conditions where new investment might be attracted in, and if the bigger clubs don't want to play against weaker clubs (even if it gives them the opportunity of resting some of their better players and trying out some of their younger ones), and if they insist on a twelve team Super League, then the simplest solution is to distribute any income, pro-rata, on the same relative pay-scale as the previous deal.

That means, if the game gets 25 million instead of 40 million, then every club gets 5/8 of what it had in the last deal.

This has the obvious benefit of demonstrating that we value the whole (RFL) family. 

• Like 3