RFL lining up French Tests

40 minutes ago, Total Rugby League said:

League Express understands that the RFL is planning one or more Test matches between France and England later this year, to fill the international gap...

View the full article

Fantastic news. A three test series would be awesome. If they did back-to-back tests at Avignon plus one of Toulouse/Perpignan/Carcassonne I reckon quite a few English fans would go out there.

14 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I hope they are played in France at different venues in the South of the country.

It’d be good for England to play at least one home test this year.

Great news if theres 2-3 tests Vs France as the minimum. Maybe a Jamaica/Wales/Ireland/Scotland game as well as.

1 minute ago, jim_57 said:

It’d be good for England to play at least one home test this year.

Great news if theres 2-3 tests Vs France as the minimum. Maybe a Jamaica/Wales/Ireland/Scotland game as well as.

Perhaps a game against a combined Celtic nations team might attract some interest, but England v Jamaica would be a complete blow out and kill most interest in Jamaican Rugby League, but a Jamaica v Celtic nations team NOT packed out with Englishmen and Australians would be a good contest

49 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Perhaps a game against a combined Celtic nations team might attract some interest, but England v Jamaica would be a complete blow out and kill most interest in Jamaican Rugby League, but a Jamaica v Celtic nations team NOT packed out with Englishmen and Australians would be a good contest

Personally not interested in combined teams. Jamaica with heritage players would be reasonably strong but if blowouts are a concern go for Ireland who can probably put out the strongest team with heritage players.

9 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Or have an England Knights/U23 play Jamaica as part of a double header.

There will probably be 2 round trip tests in November. There is also talk of the possibility of doing the same between France and Wales. France would also like to perpetuate a European Nations Cup.

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

47 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Or have an England Knights/U23 play Jamaica as part of a double header.

Or play England Knights matches in places that won't get a full Test match so more people get a chance to watch and experience rugby league.

It seems rather fashionable to believe in expansion via limiting opportunities but more games in more places seems a better option to me.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I like that this is part of supporting a France 2025 WC bid.

Given how we have been treated from the nations down under, we really need to get stuck in and build alliances here and try and strengthen what we have. England playing France (and France taking it seriously) will do that.

It will be good if the French take it seriously, there are a lot of very short memories writing on this thread of how in recent internationals v England lots of the French player's couldn't be bothered.

I wouldn't pre purchase tickets for the games as I have done in the past only to be dissapointed that France fielded very weakened teams until there was some assurity that it was being treated in the manner it should be. 

54 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I like that this is part of supporting a France 2025 WC bid.

Given how we have been treated from the nations down under, we really need to get stuck in and build alliances here and try and strengthen what we have. England playing France (and France taking it seriously) will do that.

Ah I didn't see your post Scubby until I posted mine, but you hit the nail firmly on the head with those 5 words you have bracketed.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ah I didn't see your post Scubby until I posted mine, but you hit the nail firmly on the head with those 5 words you have bracketed.

For sure mate, it would need a commitment from all parties involved that France (and the clubs) were all on board 100%. If it was done correctly then even Trent Robinson may still look at being involved in 2021.

12 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Please note that due to the vaccine passport situation in France crowds are done for outdoor events generally so don't expect as big attendances for France internationals as usual

in November there will be full crowds in France as well as in England.

There is no danger in high incidence numbers as long as the (mostly) old people with preconditions are vaccinated as Boris Johnson just emphatically proves

Archived