RFL lining up French Tests

37 minutes ago, Scubby said:

For sure mate, it would need a commitment from all parties involved that France (and the clubs) were all on board 100%. If it was done correctly then even Trent Robinson may still look at being involved in 2021.

After the events of the last month this should be looked at as a “fresh start” for the England V France rivalry with both sides fully buying in to it. We need France to be at full strength and England not to hold any games in Leigh, 20k minimum.

Same if England play a game Vs Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Jamaica or anyone else at home. These games would get 20k easily at the World Cup, need to make that the expectation for every England home international, not just Aus & NZ games.

I think with the new management team, Trent etc they will have the respect of the players. Hopefully no in fighting within the squad. Big if,  but they can give England a very good game, maybe not win but show a vastly improved performance, was in Avignon for the last game.

1 minute ago, Mattrhino said:

Would love it too happen, but if I see it being announced that a 3 match series to be played at the Leigh Sports Village I'm gonna lose my s***

One off.

At Leigh.

Thursday with a 6.15pm kick off.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I mention Leeds because someone on this website informed us that there is a large ex-pat Jamaican population there. I think they've already played a game there, based on the assumption that they would draw some local support.

I'm also assuming that the Welsh team would draw a bigger crowd in Cardiff.

In truth, I just don't know, it's merely my gut feeling. If there was some reliable research data out there which contradicted my statement, I'd be happy to go with it.

I just want to see Wales v Jamaica, sooner rather than later (and regularly). 

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Wales v Jamaica in Cardiff and Leeds.

In the absence of a tournament at such late notice I’d love to see a few mini-series like this.

England V France, Wales V Jamaica & Ireland V Scotland all in 2-3 game series plus 3 mixed warm up games.

31 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

In the absence of a tournament at such late notice I’d love to see a few mini-series like this.

England V France, Wales V Jamaica & Ireland V Scotland all in 2-3 game series plus 3 mixed warm up games.

Yes me too. I proposed groups of 3 in the NH, transatlantic competition to create fairly evenly matched games, resulting (perhaps) in a challenge to England and France by the champions of this new competition.

37 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I mention Leeds because someone on this website informed us that there is a large ex-pat Jamaican population there. I think they've already played a game there, based on the assumption that they would draw some local support.

I'm also assuming that the Welsh team would draw a bigger crowd in Cardiff.

In truth, I just don't know, it's merely my gut feeling. If there was some reliable research data out there which contradicted my statement, I'd be happy to go with it.

I just want to see Wales v Jamaica, sooner rather than later (and regularly). 

Yeah, they played England Knights in Leeds around the time of the last GB tour. I think it was 2016 (might be wrong with that date) when they battered Ireland in Ireland and drew with Wales in Wakefield. 

I really want to see Jamaica play, they were gonna be my second team at the World Cup. As I've said before, I don't care in what context these games take, be it a tournament or just individual tests or whatever but I want to see some internationals played this year and I would love to get to an England game as well. 2018 in Leeds is too long ago now! 

23 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Being cynical I can see a lot of players unavailable due to 'injuries' for any internationals that take place. 

Well ''those'' players are part of Rugby League's problem contributing to hamstringing the games progress.

40 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Being cynical I can see a lot of players unavailable due to 'injuries' for any internationals that take place. 

Really not an issue

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

There's a larger Jamaican diaspora in Manchester, and significantly bigger ones in Birmingham and London.

But, regardless, a Jamaica v Anyone game at Headingley would be decent.

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well if they do then another player can have the jersey and earn an international cap. It really isn't an issue. 

That's precisely how it should be dealt with.

It is an issue though when the likes of Ben Flower withholds his labour because it weakens the team and puts a blemish on the credibility of the team (and you could argue makes the team less attractive to sponsors and fans alike).

It's a sad situation but we must get on without them and move to the point where the honour of representing your country would be so sought after, that not declaring yourself for selection, would be unthinkable for a young player.  

20 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I hope they are played in France at different venues in the South of the country.

I think one test should be in France and one in England. When was the last time England played a proper International at home? A ridiculously long time ago to say we have a full time International head coach. 

32 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I think one test should be in France and one in England. When was the last time England played a proper International at home? A ridiculously long time ago to say we have a full time International head coach. 

2018 against New Zealand at Elland Road. If I remember rightly it was 34-0 to NZ. Rubbish match but a great day out for the Goose family and a fantastic atmosphere with 32,000 in attendance. 

Dont know how they work out the world rankings but assuming we beat France there must be a good chance England will go above Australia in the world rankings given they almost certainly won't be playing any tests this year.

12 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Well ''those'' players are part of Rugby League's problem contributing to hamstringing the games progress.

OK.

How much do they get paid to run out in these international games? They are asked to put their body on the line, risk injury (and a potential new contract), all for what? The so-called "prestige" of running out at Rochdale "stadium" (a non-league soccer ground) in front of a handful of fans.*

If it is worth the players' while financially, and in terms of exposure, endorsements etc.... I'm sure they will all be happy to turn out. They are professional players after all.

If they are expected to do it to avoid "contributing to hamstringing the games progress," then I guess a good few of them CGAF and will find better things to do.

*That was where the Fiji game, their next scheduled match, was to be played

55 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

OK.

How much do they get paid to run out in these international games? They are asked to put their body on the line, risk injury (and a potential new contract), all for what? The so-called "prestige" of running out at Rochdale "stadium" (a non-league soccer ground) in front of a handful of fans.*

If it is worth the players' while financially, and in terms of exposure, endorsements etc.... I'm sure they will all be happy to turn out. They are professional players after all.

If they are expected to do it to avoid "contributing to hamstringing the games progress," then I guess a good few of them CGAF and will find better things to do.

*That was where the Fiji game, their next scheduled match, was to be played

You are perfectly correct.

We are where we are. A game, in its International infancy.

Some players desire the representative honour, some don't. We have no choice (as I stated in response to other posts on this thread) but to go with the ones that make themselves available. I don't believe in compulsion (or shaming) in these affairs.

My use of the word hamstringing was merely an observation, that with their availability the games growth might be accelerated and without them, the rate of growth is retarded. It was not a criticism of them personally, for deciding not to play.

I do believe that International football is an important element in a complex growth strategy and needs to be part of the mix, (if growth is to be achieved at all, let alone in a reasonable timescale), promoted (by eager and willing players) to a new and untainted (potential) fanbase.

We could choose not to play, because the few top class players we thought we might (be able to) call on CGAF, but that is just defeatism and doesn't take us in the direction we want to go.

If we do choose to play, with the best players we can muster and the game grows in popularity (as I believe it will, if we are proactive instead of passively accepting our current lot) then the time will come when even the best of our players, (for all the financial reasons you listed) will present themselves available for selection.

Archived