Maloney retiring from Cats at end of season

11 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Who will take over at half back?

Maloney has been an excellent kicker as well as half, no matter what experts say.  Any player with Aussie rep and SoO has been a very good player.

Will Morgue step in, Rouge or another import?  

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/58235898

A huge loss for them i think

He struggled to get use to SL last season but has been very good this year now hes settled in to SL and how Cats play. The Cats team still revolves around Tomkins so they should be ok if they could get a half decent replacement for Maloney next year.

Just hit his best form, since joining, this season.  Shame he's calling it a day.  If Wire don't win the GF then Catalans are next down on my preferred options.  Third, Hull FC then nobody.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

I haven`t seen him play this year but I have noticed he must be goal-kicking at close to 90%, pretty good sign to me he`s got his game face on. Sounds like he certainly wants to repay Guasch a debt of gratitude.

From today`s Herald:

He won the 2013 title with the Roosters, then another premiership three years later with Cronulla, and said he now wanted to help Catalans win the Super League, especially for owner Bernard Guasch.

Guasch made sure the Catalans players hardly missed a pay cheque during COVID, and Maloney went as far to say no other league players in the world had been looked after so well.

“What Bernard has done has been extraordinary, he’s been unbelievable for myself and the boys, and the best way to repay him is with a championship,” Maloney said.

We`ve had a couple of articles in the papers over here the last couple of years about Maloney`s time in France. In typical Maloney style he talks about his kids ribbing him with " why are Penrith doing so well now Dad, that you`re not there".

He describes their trips around the French country side and there was a lovely photo of his wife in a large field of lavender somewhere. He talks about his 4  kids learning French and I imagine they are all probably fluent by now, something they will have with them for the rest of their lives.

I only wish that they had run some sort of diary of his over here, even if only every couple of months, because this sort of stuff is public relations gold. No one over here cares about union or soccer players playing overseas and afl, well forget about it, no where to go. Here we`ve got a bona-fide star, personable to boot, and living the dream, a kid from country NSW who has travelled the world playing Rugby League.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1