Andrew Fifita

Fifita in Intensive Care Full Article

Latest news

Andrew Fifita has been placed in an induced coma in a Brisbane hospital intensive care unit after suffering a laryngeal fracture on Sunday. The Cronulla forward is in a stable condition after being rushed to hospital shortly after the Sharks’ 16-14 NRL loss to Newcastle in Redcliffe.

The 2016 premiership hero has severe swelling of the larynx which is affecting his breathing, prompting doctors to sedate him. Fifita is due to have surgery on Tuesday (today).

This is pretty shocking. He must have taken a good hit there. I hope he comes out of there pretty quickly.

No penalties given for tackles he went into. Think the NRL are still investigating which one of three incidents caused the damage.

If it is the result of foul play, it wouldn’t be the first time he has been on the receiving end without a player sanctioned during the game.

The NRL appear unable to find any particular fault in his opponents to cause the injury,

According to a report i read just now Andrew had surgery on Today to treat a fractured larynx, having been placed in a coma on Monday following the injury on Sunday at Redcliffe.

The Sharks said in a statement on Tuesday night that he is expected to make a full recovery.

“Andrew will now remain in ICU in the short term, before continuing his recovery in hospital.

“Andrew’s wife Nikki and the Fifita family would like to express their thanks to their many friends, Sharks members and fans and the wider rugby league community for the support and well wishes received, with the family now looking for some space and privacy during the recovery process.

“The Sharks will support Nikki and her family and allow Andrew the time to recover and ask that their wishes for privacy are respected during this time.”

Andrew Fifita underwent laryngeal surgery late today in Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital,” a Sharks statement read.

“The surgeon carrying out the procedure informed that the surgery was successful, with Andrew expected to make a full recovery.

Fifita was placed into an induced coma to assist with his breathing after fracturing his larynx. 

“Andrew will now remain in the ICU in the short term before continuing his recovery in hospital.

From Sydney Morning Herald:

A shattered David Klemmer has revealed he felt “sick in the stomach” after learning former NSW and Australia teammate Andrew Fifita had been placed in an induced coma following a seemingly innocuous collision between the pair on Sunday.

Speaking for the first time since the incident that is believed to have hospitalised the Sharks forward after Sunday’s game in Redcliffe, the Newcastle prop told the Herald that he and Fifita had a conversation about the collision after the game.

At the time Klemmer did not suspect anything untoward; neither did the Cronulla players and staff. It wasn’t until Fifita returned to the sheds that the swelling from his fractured larynx caused his airways to narrow.

“We had a bit of a chat after the game, and he mucked around and said something like, ‘You got me good, Klem’,” the Knights prop told the Herald

The Sharks have sent out an SOS for a front-rower for the run-in to the finals following the season-ending injury to veteran prop Andrew Fifita.

The club is short of middle forwards for the crucial last few rounds as teams battle for finals spots.

One player the Sharks are considering is young North Queensland prop Emry Pere.

Sharks prop Andrew Fifita is out of intensive care and drawing inspiration from injured triathlete Alexa Leary in his bid to return to the paddock in 2022.

Fifita is up, about and out of the ICU at Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital following successful laryngeal surgery - he is expected to make a full recovery and play rugby league again.

I hope that last part is possible as long as it is advisable and in his best long term interests.

Andrew Fifita has some way to go to get back to normal with some challenges ahead.

He has described the moment his doctor brought him out of the coma.

“I heard the doc say ‘Andrew it’s time to wake up’,” Fifita said.

“By then I’m f***ing screaming... he squeezed my hand... then I woke up. I thought it was an hour (had passed by), I didn’t know it was five days.

“I said ‘where’s my footy shorts’... and I go ‘where’s my missus? It’s been an hour’, like she’s five minutes up the road.

He goes ‘you know it’s Friday?’ and I said ‘what? Bulls**t, it’s been an hour’, and he goes ‘no you’ve been here for five days in hospital’.”

During the interview an emotional Fifita is crying as he describes the ordeal.

The 32-year-old remains in the hospital in Brisbane and is currently speaking with the assistance of a tracheostomy tube.

He says he had to be taught how to walk and talk again, and is still recovering to his normal self.

Archived