Sun 22 Aug: SL: Leigh Centurions v Salford Red Devils KO 16:30

Who will win?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/08/21 at 16:00

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initially, I didn't think they'd go winless this season, but that was a few months ago and I was starting to wonder when the win would come. Well done, Leigh.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Really please for Leigh. 

I have no doubt as all club teams that Leigh players have worked hard through the season together with the board and good for the fans to at last get a win... a group of really loyal fans are no doubt over the moon.

Well done to the club, team and fans

16 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Really please for Leigh. 

I have no doubt as all club teams that Leigh players have worked hard through the season together with the board and good for the fans to at last get a win... a group of really loyal fans are no doubt over the moon.

Well done to the club, team and fans

Indeed, wel done. 🎉

Won't stop me mentioning lack of a railway station in that suburb of Wigan 😃😃

12 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Well done Leigh, I hope your fans enjoyed your victory against a Super League club. 

Why wouldn’t they,sounds like their team put the n a great effort to beat a fellow Superleague club.

14 hours ago, Scubby said:

Edited for accuracy.

.......3300 which is about par given the context.

For a local Super League derby that is a pathetic crowd figure. If anybody thinks that's a good crowd they are deluded. What other sporting events were they up against in the area?

I thought the thinking behind gifting a Suburb of Wigan a Super League place was to raise the crowd average. Well that's working out well isn't it, not, and wasn't it Elstone who recommended  Leigh be given a Super League place?

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

For a local Super League derby that is a pathetic crowd figure. If anybody thinks that's a good crowd they are deluded. What other sporting events were they up against in the area?

I thought the thinking behind gifting a Suburb of Wigan a Super League place was to raise the crowd average. Well that's working out well isn't it, not, and wasn't it Elstone who recommended  Leigh be given a Super League place?

The context is crowds are pretty pathetic across the board at the moment. Leigh, given they have been tanked for 16 consecutive games are hardly going to buck the trend. The problem with crowds is a much deeper issue than having a free Sunday. Relegation is pretty much decided now anyway.

Kudos to the Leigh fans who stuck with their team!

6 hours ago, Scubby said:

The context is crowds are pretty pathetic across the board at the moment. Leigh, given they have been tanked for 16 consecutive games are hardly going to buck the trend. The problem with crowds is a much deeper issue than having a free Sunday. Relegation is pretty much decided now anyway.

As I put earlier , we are about where we were in the Championship , around 3,000 home fans , essentially our hardcore support , in 2017 we added around another 50/60% to that taking us up to near 5,000 , but as you point out our current record won't attract those extra fans , hopefully next year we can work on getting those and others back into the LSV 

8 hours ago, Scubby said:

For the record Oldham who are win less and bottom of the 4th tier of English soccer drew a bigger crowd that the Leigh V Red Devils and Oldham played a team who are 237 miles away and until  Saturday they were win less as well

Where to begin?

Firstly, a big "Well done!" to Leigh. As someone else said, I hate to see a team go winless through an entire season, so I'm happy for you even if your win was at our expense.

As for Salford, I am lost for words. Almost. I can't get to England to watch them, so I have to rely on what others say, and it's not good. I don't want to ctiticise the players as I don't believe that players don't try. They might not be good enough, they might be suffering physical weakness following an illness, but to say they don't try is wrong even if it looks like it. What I can criticise, whatever the cause of a poor performance, is the lack of discipline. It's killing us week after week and it's down to the coaching staff to stamp it out.

After the last two seasons, this one is dispiriting to say the least. Roll on next year!

Oh, and anyone who thinks there should be any relegation after this shambles of a season is barking mad.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

11 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Where to begin?

Firstly, a big "Well done!" to Leigh. As someone else said, I hate to see a team go winless through an entire season, so I'm happy for you even if your win was at our expense.

As for Salford, I am lost for words. Almost. I can't get to England to watch them, so I have to rely on what others say, and it's not good. I don't want to ctiticise the players as I don't believe that players don't try. They might not be good enough, they might be suffering physical weakness following an illness, but to say they don't try is wrong even if it looks like it. What I can criticise, whatever the cause of a poor performance, is the lack of discipline. It's killing us week after week and it's down to the coaching staff to stamp it out.

After the last two seasons, this one is dispiriting to say the least. Roll on next year!

Oh, and anyone who thinks there should be any relegation after this shambles of a season is barking mad.

Do you want a 13 team super league then?

36 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Do you want a 13 team super league then?

I didn't say that. Don't put words in my mouth. The rfl should find another solution.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

For the record Oldham who are win less and bottom of the 4th tier of English soccer drew a bigger crowd that the Leigh V Red Devils and Oldham played a team who are 237 miles away and until  Saturday they were win less as well

Yes , and ?

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

Where to begin?

Should there be promotion ? 

Be very unfair for there not to be , so they tend to go hand in hand 

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I love this game:

2019 London Broncos biggest gate was less than that at Leigh on Sunday, oh and no pandemic. (also totally irrelevant)

The 2021 lowest attended fixture was Catalans v St Helens ( also completely irrelevant)

This season has been a write off, will be interesting how some clubs commercially survive it 

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

No relegation means a 13 team super league, or perhaps a 14 teams super league if both the teams that reach the grand final get promoted

1 up 1 down is the only fair way

Whatever encourages Sky to get back to the £40m per season min is the only way, and 12 teams isnt it at present

5 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Any Rugby League fan who thinks that a 4th tier soccer club with no wins this season getting a bigger crowd than a super League derby is acceptable should be on the funny farm. 

' acceptable ' ? So what do you suggest the sport does right now , about this unacceptable small crowd ? 

33 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

' acceptable ' ? So what do you suggest the sport does right now , about this unacceptable small crowd ? 

I have posted many times what the clubs should be doing.

I haven't seen anything from you about how clubs can increase crowds so i would welcome your views, but lets be perfectly honest less than 3,500 is totally unacceptable for a Super League derby isn't it, when they was up against nothing in the area on the sporting front

Archived