Fri 20 Aug: SL: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/08/21 at 19:15

Wow, had Isa been on something pre match? can't ever remember 1 player guilty of so much foul play in a single game, is he still taking on board Mr Wane's words from a few years ago? what a numpty, surely his season is over, no doubt he will be defended by the Wigan fans as their thugs usually are.

I thought we were bad but that lot were atrocious!!.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back at our hotel after the game (Posted on another thread just now) I have so much respect for Wigan as a club and for what they have achieved however from my observations tonight it is a club sadly in serious decline.

The fan base seems generally very old compared to other clubs (Although there are a few with similar problems) it must be hard having been able to see so many greats in the passed as now there are simply no stars.

We left just after half time my 12 year old is autistic and the language was so bad from behind us that my wife said if you dont leave now I will just take the car and you can take a taxi back to the hotel,i understand that passions can run high but when grown men are using the F word every 2 seconds its really quite awful.

We have an image problem which badly needs to be addressed.

Oh well off to Hull tomorrow.

Cheers 

Paul

PS/We went to Blackpool today which was totally depressing made Margate look like Monaco I hope the championship bash moves to York would be much better Blackpool seems to be full of drug addicts very sad.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

A man up when you were cruising? 

Puts saints 3 scores ahead, and get the ball back, eats the clock and takes the edge off the fire. dont take the 2 knock on first tackle, wigan go full length and momentum changed with Wigan only one score behind.

The hull quarter (or was it semi) was a food example of the above

18 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Just back at our hotel after the game (Posted on another thread just now) I have so much respect for Wigan as a club and for what they have achieved however from my observations tonight it is a club sadly in serious decline.

The fan base seems generally very old compared to other clubs (Although there are a few with similar problems) it must be hard having been able to see so many greats in the passed as now there are simply no stars.

We left just after half time my 12 year old is autistic and the language was so bad from behind us that my wife said if you dont leave now I will just take the car and you can take a taxi back to the hotel,i understand that passions can run high but when grown men are using the F word every 2 seconds its really quite awful.

We have an image problem which badly needs to be addressed.

Oh well off to Hull tomorrow.

Cheers 

Paul

PS/We went to Blackpool today which was totally depressing made Margate look like Monaco I hope the championship bash moves to York would be much better Blackpool seems to be full of drug addicts very sad.

Was you in the family stand?

If blackpool isnt your thing lytham is nice

That was really frustrating to watch from a Wigan point of view. Not because we lost, which was expected, not because we struggling to score points, which was also expected, but because it highlighted just how much our experienced players let down the youngsters.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Joe Shorrocks is the most underrated player in Super League. He was one of the few Wigan players to have a good game tonight. His defensive effort was absolutely outstanding. There were sets when he looked like being involved in every tackle and he was making crucial tackles too. But that's the sort of battling performance you expect from senior players in a derby. That's the performance you'd expect from someone like Bateman. But instead our senior players were too busy getting sin binned for the dumbest of reasons.

Wigan didn't really stand much of a chance. That fact the ages of our starting pack were 20, 21, 22, 20, 31 and 20 says it all about how much we're relying on the youngsters. None of those players should actually be in their prime based on their age, although Farrell still is. One of the reasons we had such a young starting line up is because one of our most experience props, Singleton, was still serving a ban for an act of utter stupidity that got him a 3 match suspension, not long having returned from a 2 match suspension for an act of utter stupidity. Meanwhile our most senior prop, Clubb, was dropped because he was horrendous against Hull KR because he's been kept at the club for too long.

Senior players like Bateman, Leuluai and Powell have all had really poor seasons so far, leaving the young forwards to carry all the responsibility.

Lam hasn't helped things by keeping Bullock out of the side despite him being one of our better props. So the youngsters keep getting flogged while Lam makes some sort of statement to Bullock and Clark.

There were some crazy calls in that game - particularly the decision for Wigan to go for 2 while 6 points down. Not long after Saints score. Bizarre to say the least.

And of course, there's Willie Isa. Not satisfied by being a complete idiot in the last game against Saints he decides to try to go further. It's not even heat of the moment stuff, it's downright stupid stuff. He's consistently a liability in big games but for some reason Lam thinks the world of him. He's a player who isn't good enough in his preferred position, has done okay filling in at centre and yet is somehow deemed indispensable by club and coach despite the very obvious flaws and the utter stupidity that he comes out with on the pitch. But expect Radlinski to tie him up to a new 3 year deal because he's a really nice guy off the field.

3 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

That was really frustrating to watch from a Wigan point of view. Not because we lost, which was expected, not because we struggling to score points, which was also expected, but because it highlighted just how much our experienced players let down the youngsters.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Joe Shorrocks is the most underrated player in Super League. He was one of the few Wigan players to have a good game tonight. His defensive effort was absolutely outstanding. There were sets when he looked like being involved in every tackle and he was making crucial tackles too. But that's the sort of battling performance you expect from senior players in a derby. That's the performance you'd expect from someone like Bateman. But instead our senior players were too busy getting sin binned for the dumbest of reasons.

Wigan didn't really stand much of a chance. That fact the ages of our starting pack were 20, 21, 22, 20, 31 and 20 says it all about how much we're relying on the youngsters. None of those players should actually be in their prime based on their age, although Farrell still is. One of the reasons we had such a young starting line up is because one of our most experience props, Singleton, was still serving a ban for an act of utter stupidity that got him a 3 match suspension, not long having returned from a 2 match suspension for an act of utter stupidity. Meanwhile our most senior prop, Clubb, was dropped because he was horrendous against Hull KR because he's been kept at the club for too long.

Senior players like Bateman, Leuluai and Powell have all have really poor seasons so far, leaving the young forwards to carry all the responsibility.

Lam hasn't helped things by keeping Bullock out of the side despite him being one of our better props. So the youngsters keep getting flogged while Lam makes some sort of statement to Bullock and Clark.

There were some crazy calls in that game - particularly the decision for Wigan to go for 2 while 6 points. Not long after Saints score. Bizarre to say the least.

And of course, there's Willie Isa. Not satisfied by being a complete idiot in the last game against Saints he decides to try to go further. It's not even heat of the moment stuff, it's downright stupid stuff. He's consistently a liability in big games but for some reason Lam things the world of him. He's a player who isn't good enough in his preferred position, has done okay filling in at centre and yet is somehow deemed indispensable by club and coach despite the very obvious flaws and the utter stupidity that he comes out with on the pitch. But expect Radlinski to tie him up to a new 3 year deal because he's a really nice guy off the field.

Great, honest post, enjoyed reading that.

7 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Was you in the family stand?

If blackpool isnt your thing lytham is nice

VIP area:(

Blackpool sands were nice, and one of the piers  I understand its meant to be cheap and cheerful however we just observed that many seemed to be of their heads and there were many drug addicts about.

Not a nice thing for children to see.

P 

7 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Blackpool sands were nice, and one of the piers  I understand its meant to be cheap and cheerful however we just observed that many seemed to be of their heads and there were many drug addicts about.

P 

Yeah, Lytham is more family friendly, 

Sad to hear that about wigan VIP area although it must be bad to be dominated off your fierce rivals. Still no excuse.

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Yeah, Lytham is more family friendly, 

Sad to hear that about wigan VIP area although it must be bad to be dominated off your fierce rivals. Still no excuse.

99% were fine we were just unlucky to be sitting in front of 3/4 idiots.

Paul

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

The Whichfinders are all out tonight in force farce tonight, the forum's "burn him" gang. 😀😀

What do whichfinders do, are they rugby leagues version of witchfinders. 

9 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I'd forgotten about the hit on grace.  Bin this lad for the season.

You some sort of liberal do gooder, letting him off like that?😃😃😃.

Burn him! Burn him!..then bin him  for the season,then next season, then for all eternity.

8 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

P 

Blackpool is cheap but it certainly isn't cheerful and hasn't been for a very long time, one of the most economically deprived towns in the UK. Next time you do a northern tour ask for some advice, we have loads of beautiful places and great people as well as the opposite. Try sitting or standing with the peasants rather than the "posh" people at a few games, generally a far more entertaining and atmospheric experience.

10 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

Senior players like Bateman, Leuluai and Powell have all had really poor seasons so far, leaving the young forwards to carry all the responsibility.

There were some crazy calls in that game - particularly the decision for Wigan to go for 2 while 6 points down. Not long after Saints score. Bizarre to say the least.

And of course, there's Willie Isa. Not satisfied by being a complete idiot in the last game against Saints he decides to try to go further. It's not even heat of the moment stuff, it's downright stupid stuff. He's consistently a liability in big games but for some reason Lam thinks the world of him. He's a player who isn't good enough in his preferred position, has done okay filling in at centre and yet is somehow deemed indispensable by club and coach despite the very obvious flaws and the utter stupidity that he comes out with on the pitch. But expect Radlinski to tie him up to a new 3 year deal because he's a really nice guy off the field.

Absolutely bang on.

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Blackpool is cheap but it certainly isn't cheerful and hasn't been for a very long time, one of the most economically deprived towns in the UK. Next time you do a northern tour ask for some advice, we have loads of beautiful places and great people as well as the opposite. Try sitting or standing with the peasants rather than the "posh" people at a few games, generally a far more entertaining and atmospheric experience.

Hi Whippet,

I usually do 50/50 if on my own have stood behind the goals many times and enjoyed the banter, South Stand at Leeds the lot:)

T/Penny at Hull behind the sticks at Castleford (Old Salford) Saints you name it I have been there 🙂

My wife has a You Tube channel in Russian and insisted we went to Blackpool LOL:)

Paul

What Wigan appear to need is a complete clear out at the top starting with Lenegan, I'm afraid. As the person where, at least theoretically, the buck stops at his door the fact that Lam and Radlinski are still in a job is peculiar to say the least. How you get rid of the owner is beyond me though.

10 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

My wife has a You Tube channel in Russian and insisted we went to Blackpool LOL:)

I suppose showing them Blackpool is one way of reassuring people in Russia how great their life is.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

What Wigan appear to need is a complete clear out at the top starting with Lenegan, I'm afraid. As the person where, at least theoretically, the buck stops at his door the fact that Lam and Radlinski are still in a job is peculiar to say the least. How you get rid of the owner is beyond me though.

I am clearly happy we won last night. However, I think this is an important post. Despite the rivalry, the sport needs a strong Wigan; just as it needs a strong Leeds. It appears Wigan are being very poorly run from the top. Yep, they are bringing through good talent but that talent needs to be supported by highly experienced, top quality professionals. Less Farrell and Bateman, it’s not there in this Wigan team. The buck stops with Lam, Radlinksi and Lenaghan.

13 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

How you get rid of the owner is beyond me though.

Easy. Just get a Wigan Euromillions lottery winner to buy him out. 🖒

Archived