Fri 20 Aug: SL: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/08/21 at 19:15

The way this year is going, Wigan could be awful every week going forward but scrape sixth, then have two freak performances that send them to Old Trafford. I won’t be writing them off too quickly. We live in weird times.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Absolutely bang on.

Quite a decent summary 

As an outsider looking in most Wigan fans have the problem identified 

However in shorrocks, Byrne, Partington and Havard there are some good young forwards for 3 or 4 years down the line. 

Playing Shorricks at 9 is just lam wanting another forward on the field and I for one was never sure who was at the dummy half or what the game plan was. 

Young Harry Smith seems to be edged out of position by Jackson Hastings and the experience of two or three angry (controlled aggression) was sadly lacking.. 

I personally have never been a huge John Bateman fan and here he is no doubt on a big salary repeatedly failing to deliver. 

I do agree that it's a coaching and motivation issue however, but with o loughlin and matty peet in the coaching mix should there be such poor decisions 

Agree that Isa was a absolute liability and should have been sent off but for me the most amazing thing was that Lam kept him on the field when he had obviously completely 'lost it'. Result was the sin binning which anyone watching could see was coming. But apparently not Lam.

Also I think Leeds must be wondering whether they have made the right call by signing Bentley. If everyone wasn't talking about Isa I imagine that Bentley's lack of composure, number of penalties conceded would be a major talking point.

25 minutes ago, bromleybulldog said:

Agree that Isa was a absolute liability and should have been sent off but for me the most amazing thing was that Lam kept him on the field when he had obviously completely 'lost it'. Result was the sin binning which anyone watching could see was coming. But apparently not Lam.

Also I think Leeds must be wondering whether they have made the right call by signing Bentley. If everyone wasn't talking about Isa I imagine that Bentley's lack of composure, number of penalties conceded would be a major talking point.

What I can see of Bentley is that he is useful in a pack that is winning. 

46 minutes ago, bromleybulldog said:

I think once he gets to Leeds, with a bit better coaching and leadership Bentley will be fine. Curbing aggression in a player is better than that player not having it in the first place. In the emerging Leeds pack Oledzki, Gannon and probably Holroyd are all likely to be stars but none have that bit of grub about them which would add to the balance of the team.

You can definitely afford one of them in your squad as long as they can at least try to reign it in. Bentley these past two weeks has been over the edge in trying to re-establish himself but I think Agar will be able to deal with that effectively enough.

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

I think once he gets to Leeds, with a bit better coaching and leadership Bentley will be fine.

At Leeds, really? You think the Leeds coaches are better than the ones he's played for so far?

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

How you get rid of the owner is beyond me though.

Easy. Just get a Wigan Euromillions lottery winner to buy him out. 🖒

Interesting this though.  What is someone actually getting when they “buy Wigan” off Lenaghan?  Players, kit, the IPR…..but no ground?  Can’t be actually worth that much surely?

31 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Interesting this though.  What is someone actually getting when they “buy Wigan” off Lenaghan?  Players, kit, the IPR…..but no ground?  Can’t be actually worth that much surely?

Put a bid in, then and find out.  😃

15 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Just back at our hotel after the game (Posted on another thread just now) I have so much respect for Wigan as a club and for what they have achieved however from my observations tonight it is a club sadly in serious decline.

The fan base seems generally very old compared to other clubs (Although there are a few with similar problems) it must be hard having been able to see so many greats in the passed as now there are simply no stars.

We left just after half time my 12 year old is autistic and the language was so bad from behind us that my wife said if you dont leave now I will just take the car and you can take a taxi back to the hotel,i understand that passions can run high but when grown men are using the F word every 2 seconds its really quite awful.

We have an image problem which badly needs to be addressed.

Oh well off to Hull tomorrow.

Cheers 

Paul

PS/We went to Blackpool today which was totally depressing made Margate look like Monaco I hope the championship bash moves to York would be much better Blackpool seems to be full of drug addicts very sad.

Yeah, I've had 'words' with people about swearing near my kids in the past in both SL and Champ ganes - I always position us nearer the edge of crowds

Blackpool has always been full of drunks and druggies - last time I was there 20 years ago it did anyway... It's marginally worse than Southend but its close 

There isn’t much wrong at Wigan that a good coach can’t fix. There are a few other things that need looking at:

- we spend far too much on player development and community activities. The first team is all that matters. We have around 40 staff doing things like supporting other teams and going round trying to get people to play. That’s not our job. Picking all these home grown players is a waste of time and effort - if they are good they will get picked off in any case;

- make sure we sign more and better overseas players; 

- make sure we sign the best overseas coach available; 

- if we are going to have a thin and young squad, skip games like everyone else. Just find some failed COVID cases, pass them off and put your feet up. At this rate we will have played every round while other clubs have sensibly given themselves 5 or 6 weeks off. It’s bad enough having to play bigger sides when we’re fresh, it’s madness trying to play them when we are tired; and 

- canvass to get rid of the downward spiral salary cap. With the money we save from useless do goody initiatives, we could be signing talent. 

The great Wigan teams I saw got by on hardly any home grown players. We aren’t an academy we are a first team. 

2 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

Just have mate, £15-57, I’ll keep you appraised.

Not enough.

2007 "Lenagan bought the club from former JJB Sports magnate and Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan. As well as buying the club Lenagan also bought the training facilities at Edge Hall Road, the former stadium of Orrell R.U.F.C. as well as a 50-year lease on the JJB Stadium."

21 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

There isn’t much wrong at Wigan that a good coach can’t fix. There are a few other things that need looking at:

- we spend far too much on player development and community activities. The first team is all that matters. We have around 40 staff doing things like supporting other teams and going round trying to get people to play. That’s not our job. Picking all these home grown players is a waste of time and effort - if they are good they will get picked off in any case;

I honestly can't tell if you are being ironic or not, but if you aren't then you need to give your head a wobble.

I've seen first hand the community stuff that Wigan do in the area, and it is outstanding. Many of the kids who take part in these initiatives are from deprived families and the club is the only place that educates them, keeps them fit and in many cases even feeds them. Its the only place that these kids get to feel part of something.

IIf you think they should stop doing that and invest in expensive foreign imports instead, then I suggest you have that badly wrong.

5 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

I honestly can't tell if you are being ironic or not, but if you aren't then you need to give your head a wobble.

I've seen first hand the community stuff that Wigan do in the area, and it is outstanding. Many of the kids who take part in these initiatives are from deprived families and the club is the only place that educates them, keeps them fit and in many cases even feeds them. Its the only place that these kids get to feel part of something.

IIf you think they should stop doing that and invest in expensive foreign imports instead, then I suggest you have that badly wrong.

I don’t have it badly wrong, and am astonished you find my suggestions egregious. The Wigan’s club’s purpose is to field the best first team they can, not to do “good deeds”. We are not a school, we are not a youth club, we are not a charity, and should stop pretending to be one. The RFL or the schools or the clubs can do the good deeds, every penny we generate should focus on one goal and one goal only - where do we get the players and the coach who will make us the best first team we can be. We have around £7.5m turnover, which is plenty enough to recruit and retain an excellent coach and a strong first team. 

And if we ditched the salary cap, and tapped up our billionaire, we could have much bigger crowds again - and many of those who went would be inspired to take up and follow the game. 

Tell anyone who sat through Friday’s game how happy they ought to be about the community initiatives, and see how you get on. 

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I don’t have it badly wrong, and am astonished you find my suggestions egregious. The Wigan’s club’s purpose is to field the best first team they can, not to do “good deeds”. We are not a school, we are not a youth club, we are not a charity, and should stop pretending to be one. The RFL or the schools or the clubs can do the good deeds, every penny we generate should focus on one goal and one goal only - where do we get the players and the coach who will make us the best first team we can be. We have around £7.5m turnover, which is plenty enough to recruit and retain an excellent coach and a strong first team. 

And if we ditched the salary cap, and tapped up our billionaire, we could have much bigger crowds again - and many of those who went would be inspired to take up and follow the game. 

Tell anyone who sat through Friday’s game how happy they ought to be about the community initiatives, and see how you get on. 

OK mate, whatever.

14 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

7 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Why do you think Wigan and indeed all clubs do so many community initiatives? It feels a bit of naivety to see it is benevolence rather than something that indirectly benefits the team performance. Fan recruitment and retention, relationship with the community, ability to market and engage sponsors and so on. I don't think clubs do it out of the goodness of their hearts. 

It should also be noted that most community and development work will be done by the Foundation, which is a separate arm to the club - it has charity status and therefore receives funding from a whole range of funding partners. It certainly shouldn't be a drain on the club's resources

On 21/08/2021 at 12:15, The storm said:

What I can see of Bentley is that he is useful in a pack that is winning. 

And thats exactly the comment I made when Leeds announced his signing for next year and why I dont think it was a good move for him at this stage in his career. He's easily rattled and his petulent side comes out far too often. Leeds need leaders in their pack, a Peacock or a JJB type player and thats just not Bentley, not yet anyway. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

And thats exactly the comment I made when Leeds announced his signing for next year and why I dont think it was a good move for him at this stage in his career. He's easily rattled and his petulent side comes out far too often. Leeds need leaders in their pack, a Peacock or a JJB type player and thats just not Bentley, not yet anyway. 

Still loving how Saints fans don't see what's coming at them next season at Headingley.

10 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Still loving how Leeds fans keep dreaming they're a top club

I was just going to say the same thing. Average squad, average coach, I don't understand what they are all so bullish about. They won't make the playoffs this year and if they want to make them next year they have work to do.

Archived