Thu 19 Aug: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Huddersfield Giants KO 19:45

Who will win?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/08/21 at 19:15

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overwhelming early 2nd arf pressure for Leeds and a couple of successive penalties leads to Newman extending their lead by another two points.

Leeds 14 Hudds 4.

Why isn't Leeming kicking the goals or have I missed summat obvious?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

17 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

You're obviously in the posh seats tonight chap, how are the hors d'oeuvres? 🙂 

Just the normal. Lancaster was visible in corporate two weeks ago but they're all in pleb seats this time.

Just now, M j M said:

Nose but I know What Radio Leeds coverage is like.

To be fair, the Antipodean "expert" is the most biased but, even after listening from the kick off, I have no idea who he is.

Rob Lui over,

Leeds 18 Hudds 4.

Sam Wood sneaks in.

Leeds 18 Hudds 8.

Hudds get a third with 12 seconds left via Owen Trout.

Leeds 18 Hudds 12.

1 second left for the kick off.

Hudds knock on, full tarm.

Three tries apiece though, 

Leeds 18 Hudds 12.

Ground out a win. First half was 50/50 but I did think Leeds the better team in the second.

With luck Prior might be back for the next one, an interesting prospect at Wigan next Wednesday. 

Morgan Gannon official man of the match. He's definitely my favourite of the future killer Leeds pack.

Another tight game lost, as Watto said "we're hard to beat but just getting beaten".

I thought the first half was pretty even, but Leeds rolled us a bit in the second half, we couldn't get our hands on the ball, what with errors, penalties and seemingly random 'six agains', that's for another day!

I think ultimately, despite being "depleted" Leeds just had a bit more experience and know how where and when it mattered and did the basics better.

God awful game played by 2 god awful understrength sides, we are crying out for some of our experienced players back as we are looking woefully short of guidance in attack, as good as Pryce, Russell, Senior, Hewitt, Wood, Trout, English etc will be they are far too in experienced to be trying to control games especially against sides like Leeds, who though 'depleted' still had plenty of experience available to them.

We showed spirit in defence even though at times it was a constant barrage of penalties and 6 again's against us at almost every set but lacked anything apart from a high uncontested kick on the last from attack, the only real saving grace for us was that we were only playing Leeds as they didn't look like doing anything either apart from 1 or 2 half breaks, oh and the rain held off during the match. It didn't get any better after the game as all the toilets were locked shut and there were roadworks on EVERY road back home.

Can see why the game is losing people at numbers if this is seen as a game between 2 of the northern hemisphere's top 12 teams, there was absolutely nothing at all last night to be excited about, i can't imagine the Leeds fans would find many either despite scraping a win.

35 minutes ago, daz39 said:

God awful game played by 2 god awful understrength sides, we are crying out for some of our experienced players back as we are looking woefully short of guidance in attack, as good as Pryce, Russell, Senior, Hewitt, Wood, Trout, English etc will be they are far too in experienced to be trying to control games especially against sides like Leeds, who though 'depleted' still had plenty of experience available to them.

We showed spirit in defence even though at times it was a constant barrage of penalties and 6 again's against us at almost every set but lacked anything apart from a high uncontested kick on the last from attack, the only real saving grace for us was that we were only playing Leeds as they didn't look like doing anything either apart from 1 or 2 half breaks, oh and the rain held off during the match. It didn't get any better after the game as all the toilets were locked shut and there were roadworks on EVERY road back home.

Can see why the game is losing people at numbers if this is seen as a game between 2 of the northern hemisphere's top 12 teams, there was absolutely nothing at all last night to be excited about, i can't imagine the Leeds fans would find many either despite scraping a win.

On the game, it wasn't one to rewatch that's for sure, but it was what it was 2 tired teams with lots of their best players missing. I don't think it was a close as the scoreline suggests, Hudds really did look flat to me and played with no flair or craft - not really surprising with who they had missing.

Leeds just did what they needed to and had enough experience to know how to win the game.

On your last point, it wasn't a game between 2 of the top 12 teams it was a game between 2 of the top 12 teams with most of their best players missing. I think there's two things at play here - the amount of games/lack of preparation is creating more injuries than usual, and players getting banned left right and centre. Last nights game was pretty important for both sides, Hudds to keep a glimmer of hope of creeping into the top 6 and Leeds to stay in the 6 and to keep pressure on those around them, however due to the two squads they could put out it was all a bit of a none event.

18 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

On the game, it wasn't one to rewatch that's for sure, but it was what it was 2 tired teams with lots of their best players missing. I don't think it was a close as the scoreline suggests, Hudds really did look flat to me and played with no flair or craft - not really surprising with who they had missing.

Leeds just did what they needed to and had enough experience to know how to win the game.

On your last point, it wasn't a game between 2 of the top 12 teams it was a game between 2 of the top 12 teams with most of their best players missing. I think there's two things at play here - the amount of games/lack of preparation is creating more injuries than usual, and players getting banned left right and centre. Last nights game was pretty important for both sides, Hudds to keep a glimmer of hope of creeping into the top 6 and Leeds to stay in the 6 and to keep pressure on those around them, however due to the two squads they could put out it was all a bit of a none event.

To an outsider or potential new fan to the game they would have just seen 2 of the sports elite divisions teams and probably wouldn't have a clue about team strengths or lack of.

Just now, daz39 said:

To an outsider or potential new fan to the game they would have just seen 2 of the sports elite divisions teams and probably wouldn't have a clue about team strengths or lack of.

Sorry I probably wasn't clear, I agree with you on that aspect, the only saving grace is that there's absolutely no way an outsider of the sport would have been able to watch the game bar going to the ground!

Which is another thing that needs sorting for next season IMO

8 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I disagree, i think we should encourage people to go to the stadiums and not try and turn the sport into ta TV show like football but that's for another debate.

They’re not mutually exclusive, the games could be shown after they are played the game needs visibility and accessibility but yes it’s probably a separate discussion 

To follow on comments above.

It really was a poor game of entertainment.  Both teams lacked any attacking flair so to speak and seemed very tired teams.  Although both teams tackling was generally good in preventing many years being made in the first half. Apart from a couple of Leeds breaks both teams were very pedestrian and easy to defend against.

Leeds were far the better team in the 2nd half and could have made more of their opportunities, but it was a new team with the youngsters and hence can be expected not to be gelling as well as the attack could have been.

I think the schedule of games has had a major impact to both plus the rules being played to.   Something needs to done to ensure its different next year otherwise the chance to bring back fans or hold to existing will be dimmed.

In my view the standard of entertainment was very poor - especially the first half.

On 17/08/2021 at 19:50, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leeds have been decimated by injuries all year, Oledski, Gale and Hurrell all have a chance of been back in the play offs but are ruled out of the regular season.

You should come to Leigh to see how injuries have decimated a team, but it is Leigh so it doesn't count does it? 

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Must be hard work carrying that chip around!

Have a look back over this season Chris, no chip on the shoulder just a realisation of what has happened, Leigh are the team that can least afford injuries but without doubt they have had the worst of all the SL teams.

Archived