Samisoni langi

Don't get the complaint,  if he hasn't signed a contract he can change his mind, and if he doesn't want to come there is no point forcing the issue. Not everyone believes a verbal agreement is as good as a contract signed. Move on to more understrength areas of the squad

8 hours ago, arcticchris said:

To be fair I think sacking the coach after a player has agreed to join a club gives the player a legitimate option to back out of the move.

The devil is in your detail 'agreed' under contract law is deemed as a contract however as has been stated on this thread its probably not worth trying to enforce it without the paper contract, why? player doesn't want to play for the club so enforce it and have a unhappy player, the route is to lodge a formal complaint and raise the issue, obviously to enforce it may also involve going to a Civil Court again probably not worth it.

28 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Probably saw the state of Belle Vue and thought, ‘nah, I will stick to Perpignan’. Noting against Wakefield as a city, but their ground is a joke.

The caveat was he wanted to be coached by Chris Chester. Now that has been taken away all bets are off.

17 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The caveat was he wanted to be coached by Chris Chester. Now that has been taken away all bets are off.

The fact that he wanted to be coached by Chris Chester means that he might be able to plead that he was mentally insane when he signed the contract, which would make the contract null and void 

If my memory serves me correctly, I can recall only 1 occasion when a verbal agreement was enforced after a player changed his mind.

When Paul Cooke decided to leave Hull FC for HKR he claimed he was out of contract and free to do so. Hull FC claimed he had agreed a new contract and crucially, even though no paper contract was signed, he had played games under the terms of that new contract.

Legally by playing and accepting remunerations outlined in the verbal agreement he was deemed to have accepted the contract and was now bound by it.

I will stand being corrected on this but it’s how I recall the events.

5 hours ago, Forever Trinity said:

The devil is in your detail 'agreed' under contract law is deemed as a contract however as has been stated on this thread its probably not worth trying to enforce it without the paper contract, why? player doesn't want to play for the club so enforce it and have a unhappy player, the route is to lodge a formal complaint and raise the issue, obviously to enforce it may also involve going to a Civil Court again probably not worth it.

It’s not as simple as that.  You can have an oral contract but it must have the requisite parts of a contract to make it binding - often oral agreements don’t.  Written contracts record exactly what the deal is and usually ensure the requisite constituent parts are in place.  Sometimes written contracts fall short on this, but that’s usually on the poor drafting.

Agree with you though there’s no point forcing a player to join you if he doesn’t want to.

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

If my memory serves me correctly, I can recall only 1 occasion when a verbal agreement was enforced after a player changed his mind.

When Paul Cooke decided to leave Hull FC for HKR he claimed he was out of contract and free to do so. Hull FC claimed he had agreed a new contract and crucially, even though no paper contract was signed, he had played games under the terms of that new contract.

Legally by playing and accepting remunerations outlined in the verbal agreement he was deemed to have accepted the contract and was now bound by it.

I will stand being corrected on this but it’s how I recall the events.

I don't know the Cooke incident, but the bit highlighted essentially sums up acceptance by performance. Contract formed.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

10 hours ago, Mark S said:

Probably saw the state of Belle Vue and thought, ‘nah, I will stick to Perpignan’. Noting against Wakefield as a city, but their ground is a joke.

7 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

Wakefield in the wind and rain or the south of France in the sunshine.  Tricky one that like 🧐

6 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

With a duff ground, with a relegation battle versus a club who are now an established big 6 side. Get that ground sorted then players might be more attracted. 

Have any of you actually read the report before posting this irrelevant drivel? 🙄  All these issues were there when he agreed the transfer whilst Chester was in charge.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived