Toulouse Olympique

Dave Naylor

We've just got to focus on ourselves and on our own improvement for this game and next weeks game against Fev. They are going to be too good for us and we all know it. 

Focus again on our defence and especially I'd be working on our kicking game as this continually starts us off on the wrong foot and lets the opposition have easy set starts.

For the team it looks like we're down to the bare bones now with Roby going back to Widnes, Jinks and Barran looking like they got quite serious injuries against Sheffield and not many players aside from Bridge who look like they'll be back fit. Hartley back into the centre for me instead of Roby and Bridge back into the pack with J Abram definitely back at hooker for me.

5 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Just watched the 2017 game at bower fold v Tolouse. We won 14-12. There are three things I miss that were in that game: 1) scrums 2) Sammy gee and 3) George Tyson. 

Those were the days.  I used to record the OCR commentary to an audio file whilst at the game.  Then as soon as I could get hold of the video, I'd synchronise the audio track to the video and usually use the hooter at the start of each half to get it right.  

Sometimes things would drift and I'd have to do some cheeky editing and duplicating crowd noise to hide the stitch.

Once that was done I'd render the output which used to take anything up to two hours and then upload it to YouTube.

I only stopped when I figured out that the video guy should have been doing that and I was literally trying to do too much.

And I have a Mrs to keep happy.  "You're not doing freebie Oldham stuff again are you?  I have jobs that need doing."  "Er, not me love..."

Squad is interesting. Hewitt is still in but hasn't been picked for the last two games. New lad Spence is in and will play you would think. Gregory is back after a long absence but J Abram has now disappeared from the squad after a very promising run of form.

Think the backs pick themselves with Hartley coming straight in for Roby at right centre. Halves could be any of Charnock, Hewitt, Spence or Jinks. Bridge should come straight into the starting 13 probably for Pick.

It's going to be a very tough game for us but I hope we still compete for the full game.

I couldn’t be there due to illness and family issues but the result suggests that the boys gave a real effort today. To keep Toulouse to 34, 12 in the second half, with their squad and record sounds pretty amazing. Can’t wait to hear reports from those who were there. Looking at Toulouse’s previous results this season, only 3 or 4 have kept them that close. Pride in defeat on this occasion, for me.

First game in the flesh for me. I thought the players put in a great shift. Tyler looked dangerous each time he took the ball up.

The defence was excellent at times and made toulouse work extremely hard for each of their points.

The major downside was the size of the crowd or the lack of a crowd.

I think that the crowd was between 300 -400 which is massively disappointing and doesn't fill me with joy.

The boys tried their hearts out today. Well done lads. These guys today were full time opposition, our boys have work in the morning. As I've said on numerous occasions, what other sport does anyone know of where semi pro and full time professionals compete in the same league, level playing field, definitely not. Well done lads, you competed to the end. Sheer effort was on show today. Disappointing attendance, makes you worry about the future of the club. 

Outstanding effort again from the lads. I'd love to know what happened between the Haven home and away games as that just wasn't an Oldham team. Intensity and aggression right from the start and from all players.

Toulouse looked dangerous right across the park and had some absolutely superb performances from Garbutt at prop and Schmaukel on the wing.

Thought Langtree had his best game of the season by quite a way. Got monstered once in the first half but kept going forward right throughout the game. Dupree was excellent again but only played the first half. Thought Holcroft had his best game for us and had a couple of super carries in the second half. Roberts had probably the moment of the game with his outstanding tackle near the end of the game where he absolutely crunched his opposite centre.

Everyone contributed and it was a very good team performance. I still think our kicking game leaves a lot to be desired as we constantly pick out their back 3 on the full giving them easy set starts. Spence looked tidy at stand off but it was a very tough debut for him to stand out in. I think the big difference for me over the McDermott and Sheridan games has been the scramble back after we concede a break as a team we all get back and just keep going and make the next tackle.

Can't ask for anymore than what we got today. Same effort next week against another tough game in Fev.

I was impressed with Reilly when he came off the bench. Also I thought Spence played pretty well after 1 training session. 

Brian Mc has brought in belief in the players but sadly he arrived 3 weeks to late to stop the drop

Onwards to fev

38 minutes ago, clifford said:

I was impresses with Reilly when he came off the bench. Also I thought Spence played pretty well after 1 training session. 

Brian Mc has brought in belief in the players but sadly he arrived 3 weeks to late to stop the drop

Onwards to fev

Nice to see you earlier. Yeah the difference since Brian Mc and Shez took over has been very noticeable. I thought Spence looked good partnering chewy and both tried things.

Some of the play from Toulouse was just brilliant to watch. 

Phil Joy had an excellent game too.

11 minutes ago, FailsworthYed said:

Nice to see you earlier. Yeah the difference since Brian Mc and Shez took over has been very noticeable. I thought Spence looked good partnering chewy and both tried things.

Some of the play from Toulouse was just brilliant to watch. 

Phil Joy had an excellent game too.

Agreed, some passages of play by Toulouse was superb. Very good to watch, just wish it wasn't against Oldham. 

You have to give credit to Toulouse; played the entire season away from home with huge travelling. Never let their standards slip to my knowledge, so far unbeaten. Good luck to them. I hope they get into SL and do well. All goes to show the great effort by our Oldham part-timers to compete against such an outfit. I’ve said it before but I can’t resist saying it again - had Brian Mac been recruited five games earlier I feel that we’d have been safe. For all the negativity that creeps into these pages, sometimes justified, the Roughyeds are our team, our roots, part of our identity and we should support the team through thick and thin (not that we’ve had much thick, recently).

On 22/08/2021 at 18:01, moorside roughyed said:

The boys tried their hearts out today. Well done lads. These guys today were full time opposition, our boys have work in the morning. As I've said on numerous occasions, what other sport does anyone know of where semi pro and full time professionals compete in the same league, level playing field, definitely not. Well done lads, you competed to the end. Sheer effort was on show today. Disappointing attendance, makes you worry about the future of the club. 

What do you advocate then MR - making every team play part-time or making every team play full-time?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

What do you advocate then MR - making every team play part-time or making every team play full-time?

I just don't think it's fair having semi pros and full time professionals playing in the same division. Hardly a fair playing field is it?  Is their any other sport where this occurs? I don't know of any. 

Stats-

Abram-3 tackles. 5 carries=38m

Brierley-0 tackles. one offload. 9 carries=42m

Ince-16 tackles. 3 misses. 5 carries=32m

Roberts-23 tackles. 5 misses. one offload. 10 carries=63m

Holcroft-8 tackles. one miss. 6 tackle busts. 8 carries=58m

Spence-13 tackles. 3 misses. one offload. 8 carries=5m

Hewitt-19 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. 1 carry=19m

Joy-25 tackles. 4 misses. 16 carries=100m

Owen-24 tackles. 5 misses. 1 carry=0m

Dupree-29 tackles. 2 misses. one offload. one tackle bust. 11 carries=64m

Langtree-24 tackles. 8 misses. 3 offloads. 4 tackle busts. one clean break. 18 carries=134m

Pick-23 tackles. one miss. 6 carries=36m

Bridge-26 tackles. one miss. 2 offloads. one tackle bust. 14 carries=64m

subs

Charnock-16 tackles. 3 misses. one offload. 4 carries=20m

Bent-33 tackles. one miss. 9 carries=44m

Reilly-35 tackles. 3 misses. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 16 carries=95m

Nelmes-22 tackles. one try assist. 8 carries=59m

21 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I just don't think it's fair having semi pros and full time professionals playing in the same division. Hardly a fair playing field is it?  Is their any other sport where this occurs? I don't know of any. 

Life isn't fair MR. I asked you what your solution would be.

I'm not bothered about what happens in other sports.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived