Luke Thompson

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

None of that seems believable.

Firstly, I highly doubt he's on $850k a year, that would put him amongst the top earners, certainly for props.

Secondly, when he's still got 2 more years on his contract, why would he be seeking a contract extension with the basket case that is Canterbury?

For what it's worth, I hope he does leave before the end of his contract, but not to another dire team like Wests

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Firstly, I highly doubt he's on $850k a year, that would put him amongst the top earners, certainly for props.

Secondly, when he's still got 2 more years on his contract, why would he be seeking a contract extension with the basket case that is Canterbury?

For what it's worth, I hope he does leave before the end of his contract, but not to another dire team like Wests

I did think that but the Dogs have that much cash.

I think he’s just coming back from his ban but in the right team he will do well.  I hope he sticks it out in the NRL.

15 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He has the same agent as Jon Bateman - Andy Clarke? I wish he would just stop ####ing about and unsettling players and let them build a career.

Looks like that is the root of the problem.

I can only think this is salary cap related when you look at the dogs recruitment drive and the money he’s meant to be on. He’s done well in a struggling team and got good plaudits from the commentators . Barrett also praised him although he was peeved by his indiscretions . If he wants it I’m sure he’ll get an NRL contract 

36 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I can only think this is salary cap related when you look at the dogs recruitment drive and the money he’s meant to be on. He’s done well in a struggling team and got good plaudits from the commentators . Barrett also praised him although he was peeved by his indiscretions . If he wants it I’m sure he’ll get an NRL contract 

He was seen shopping in Hull last week with Josh Hodgson's Uncle.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Gus Gould has just taken on a roll at the Bulldogs and Gould doesn't like English players. Just saying

15 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Gus Gould has just taken on a roll at the Bulldogs and Gould doesn't like English players. Just saying

very stupid post for so many reasons 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

He has the same agent as Jon Bateman - Andy Clarke? I wish he would just stop ####ing about and unsettling players and let them build a career.

I have no time for Andy Clarke. He was also the agent for the likes of Chris Ashton, Denny Solomona and Joel Tomkins when they went to RU. Phil is also a director of the Outside Sport agency with Andy. Whether that would lead to a conflict of interest in Sky commentary I'll let you decide.

15 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Where do you get that he's not wanted by Canterbury ??

They want him to stay to at least see out the last 2 Yrs of his contract, he wants to stay and in fact wants to extend his contract with them beyond 2023.

Its his numb nuts agent who's been speaking with other clubs, trying to force the Bulldogs hand into offering him a bigger contract now rather than wait 2 years. You know why he's doing it because Thompson has been the best player at the Doggies by a long way this season and his agent gets an even bigger cut of any new deal he can negotiate. If he waits another year he could have had a bad season or a lengthy injury which drives down his value.

Don't forget these kind of agents have no interest in the actual players themselves, they don't give a damn what club they play for or whether the club or the move is right for that player. They're parasites who just see players as cash cows to line their own pockets.

At least were yet to see the Leeds or Wire fans on here claiming he's coming back to SL and signing for them 😉

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

23 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Where do you get that he's not wanted by Canterbury ??

They want him to stay to at least see out the last 2 Yrs of his contract, he wants to stay and in fact wants to extend his contract with them beyond 2023.

Its his numb nuts agent who's been speaking with other clubs, trying to force the Bulldogs hand into offering him a bigger contract now rather than wait 2 years. You know why he's doing it because Thompson has been the best player at the Doggies by a long way this season and his agent gets an even bigger cut of any new deal he can negotiate. If he waits another year he could have had a bad season or a lengthy injury which drives down his value.

Don't forget these kind of agents have no interest in the actual players themselves, they don't give a damn what club they play for or whether the club or the move is right for that player. They're parasites who just see players as cash cows to line their own pockets.

At least were yet to see the Leeds or Wire fans on here claiming he's coming back to SL and signing for them 😉

We do need a replacement for Hill & Cooper… 😉

On 19/08/2021 at 04:56, Damien said:

Phil is also a director of the Outside Sport agency with Andy. Whether that would lead to a conflict of interest in Sky commentary I'll let you decide.

Thanks for letting us decide. I'll start, I can't see why it would be a conflict of interest. Can anyone else?

Edit: if you're implying something as simple as "Phil could talk up players on commentary to get them better deals", won't coaches be able to make an objective decision? ie. make up their own minds independently of media beliefs.

So Phil Gould tells another NRL club they are essentially open to selling Thompson to this club, under the right circumstances, and to contact his UK manager to see if Thompson has the appetite for such a move.

But everyone has misunderstood that. Canterbury are not shopping Thompson around, but will be happy to sell him.
Reading that article it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to suggest Thompson will be playing elsewhere after his Canterbury contract expires.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Archived