Hurrell to Saints?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's also a value in "Star player". Others have mentioned Hurrell's bigger than most clubs social-media following, and he's a popular player too.

Whilst that may not mean on field performances should be overlooked, it does add value to having him in the squad.

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There's also a value in "Star player". Others have mentioned Hurrell's bigger than most clubs social-media following, and he's a popular player too.

Whilst that may not mean on field performances should be overlooked, it does add value to having him in the squad.

Part of the reason Id like him to stay at Leeds TBH I suspect there will be a lot of unhappy fans if he signs elsewhere but it will come down to length of contract and of course money.

41 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Part of the reason Id like him to stay at Leeds TBH I suspect there will be a lot of unhappy fans if he signs elsewhere but it will come down to length of contract and of course money.

I was not too bothered about him leaving right up until it began being reported he was going to sign for one of the other big clubs. Since when I know resolutely think we should keep him 😄

Good work by his agent if the Saints stuff is just a negotiating ploy, although I don't think Leeds/Sinfield have left that much in the 2022 budget to play with.

Was surprised to hear that Saints would be interested in Hurrell but I guess the Tongan connection between coach and player is a key factor.

And as others have said, his value in the marketing space is an additional factor on top of the on field contribution.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

was never the same player after breaking an opponents jaw in the NRL lost his mojo after that due to been such a mr nice guy - great guy but the fact that a team like saints dont have anyone better to sign or come through is a sad reflection on the state of the game today

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

12 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Yeah I have heard mention of Wigan also. 
Not sure what is happening with Rhys Martin as he was linked with Cas but it has all gone quiet since. If Saints are looking at 2nd row then Martin would be worth a look, can kick goals as well. 

Can kick goals very very well at the moment! I would much rather keep Martyn than Hurrell if I were Leeds. 

19 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

Understand Nu Brown will also be joining Hurrell at Saints.

That was a rumour started a few weeks ago by someone on RedVee, just not going to happen.

Lussick will be the next signing announced who will share the hooking role with Roby next year. Aaron Smith has been told he's free to find another club and Josh Eaves is being retained as the back-up to Roby & Lussick (although Eaves has also had a few offers I believe so he might be the one leaving with Smith staying).

Not sure where the Hurrell signing is going either as Saints have supposedly made an offer to Manly's Curtis Sironen to take over Thompson's No. 11 shirt.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

This now appears to be confirmed -

Konrad Hurrell makes decision on playing future beyond this season

I'd have liked Leeds to have kept him but the club is planning for the future and, with his injury record and seemingly relaxed attitude to training they couldn't make an offer which was competitive with Saints, particularly with him getting a two year deal there. And clearly he's going to be on nowhere near what he was on as a marquee player.

He hasn't quite worked out as planned but two Dream Teams in three years and some very strong meterage stats show what he can do. As does his error count.

7 minutes ago, M j M said:

This now appears to be confirmed -

Konrad Hurrell makes decision on playing future beyond this season

I'd have liked Leeds to have kept him but the club is planning for the future and, with his injury record and seemingly relaxed attitude to training they couldn't make an offer which was competitive with Saints, particularly with him getting a two year deal there. And clearly he's going to be on nowhere near what he was on as a marquee player.

He hasn't quite worked out as planned but two Dream Teams in three years and some very strong meterage stats show what he can do. As does his error count.

Poor recruitment from Saints - don’t get it 

44 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Poor recruitment from Saints - don’t get it 

add this to the hopoate signing and its the heart ruling the head sort of coaching that will not turn out well

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Happy enough with this. Be interesting if Leeds look at a replacement but I don’t think it’s needed. I expect Newman and Liam Sutty to play centre with Broadbent and Corey Hall as back up. Broadbent might even nudge Sutty out. 

We’re still short on the wing, where we never replaced Ryan Hall. We could do with some genuine pace 

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Happy enough with this. Be interesting if Leeds look at a replacement but I don’t think it’s needed. I expect Newman and Liam Sutty to play centre with Broadbent and Corey Hall as back up. Broadbent might even nudge Sutty out. 

We’re still short on the wing, where we never replaced Ryan Hall. We could do with some genuine pace 

Everything I have seen of Newman and Broadbent suggest they are the real deal for me.  I have seen a lot more of Newman to be fair and he could be a real top class centre but I was also really impressed with Broadbent when he got some game time this year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

A strange signing if confirmed in my view. With Hopoate and Percival our starting centres for next year, it looks like he is set for the second row and being spelled.

I'd worry about fitness if he was playing 80 minutes, so maybe having less time on the field will help. Although it is quite a risk seeing that he (to my knowledge) hasn't played second row before. I'd prefer to sign someone more naturally fitted to that position.

Nevertheless, if he does sign, will give him a fair chance and hope he goes well. 

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Everything I have seen of Newman and Broadbent suggest they are the real deal for me.  I have seen a lot more of Newman to be fair and he could be a real top class centre but I was also really impressed with Broadbent when he got some game time this year.

Broadbent has something about him absolutely, that elusiveness. I’m not sure who he reminds me of but when he played full back, a little bit of Brimson perhaps. He’s more naturally a centre but he’s clearly got the skill set to play across the backline 

On 19/08/2021 at 14:35, Tommygilf said:

On 19/08/2021 at 14:56, Chrispmartha said:

You don’t win grand finals making decisions like that. I’ve enjoyed watching Konrad at Leeds but think the right decision is to let him go and spend the salary cap money elsewhere.

Archived