Hurrell to Saints?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurrell in, Percival benched, Grace breaks try scoring record!

I'll wager, with all the Saints nuts in here, that Grace scores more tries playing outside Hurrel, than he does playing outside Percival, (pro rata).

9 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

You don’t win grand finals making decisions like that. I’ve enjoyed watching Konrad at Leeds but think the right decision is to let him go and spend the salary cap money elsewhere.

James Roberts? ... would the gamble pay off? or Blake Ferguson? 32 next sl season but seems to still have a lot to give but prob not in the nrl 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

James Roberts? ... would the gamble pay off? or Blake Ferguson? 32 next sl season but seems to still have a lot to give but prob not in the nrl 

Leeds don't need a replacement centre. That's the reason retaining Hurrell wasn't essential. 

5 minutes ago, M j M said:

Leeds don't need a replacement centre. That's the reason retaining Hurrell wasn't essential. 

Leeds have never replaced Tonie Carroll with anyone of that level 

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

It's amazing how the club won eight Super League titles since his departure really.

was just saying the days of replacing players of that quality with players of a similar quality are gone, not just for Leeds but for all clubs - sad but true

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Really weird that Saints fans almost universally think Hurrell has been signed to play second row. 

Strikes me as a form of delusion.

Hopoate and Percival will be our starting centres next year so it’s either that or we have signed him to play reserves. 

we’re losing 2 back rowers (Bentley and Thompson) and only signing 1 (BMM/Sironen/Martin/JSL/Bell depending on which rumours you believe) so it adds up, and quite a few journos on Twitter (such as John Davidson) have said it as well.

I can only guess Woolf has a plan…

11 hours ago, M j M said:

Really weird that Saints fans almost universally think Hurrell has been signed to play second row. 

Or Leeds fans delusion and Saints fans opinions based on Woolf already having said publicly that Welsby will be FB, with Hopoate playing centre in place of Naiquama next year along side Percival as the other centre.

If they have signed Hurrell then he will either start in the 2nd row or be on the bench as cover for 2nd row or centre.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Or Leeds fans delusion and Saints fans opinions based on Woolf already having said publicly that Welsby will be FB, with Hopoate playing centre in place of Naiquama next year along side Percival as the other centre.

If they have signed Hurrell then he will either start in the 2nd row or be on the bench as cover for 2nd row or centre.

I'm sure Woolf knows what he's doing... 🤔

Multiple quality cover is the way to go in the game at the moment so I wouldn't be surprised if he's there as the third centre (that was effectively the contract he was offered at Leeds). He could probably be a brief impact player in the second row but he ain't one for the tackling.

3 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I don't think Hurrell has the fitness or defensive capabilities to play Second Row, not for long periods anyway.

It's a really interesting signing for Saints, could work out ion and its a really big if, Woolf can get him to fix up his flaws, something which no coach has ever done.

Hurrell is a massive confidence player, will Saints fans be forgiving of these flaws, or will they get on his back the first time he makes a defensive error? I will say one thing and this is the reason why Ima bit gutted he's gone from Leeds is that he is entertaining to watch, I read a comment somewhere that maybe has a bit of truth about it - does Hurrell take the game seriously enough to iron out the flaws in his game?

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

I'm sure Woolf knows what he's doing... 🤔

Multiple quality cover is the way to go in the game at the moment so I wouldn't be surprised if he's there as the third centre (that was effectively the contract he was offered at Leeds). He could probably be a brief impact player in the second row but he ain't one for the tackling.

He can tackle, its his reading of the game that has been shown up time and time again in a Leeds shirt

46 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Hurrell is a massive confidence player, will Saints fans be forgiving of these flaws, or will they get on his back the first time he makes a defensive error?

Knowing some of our fans we'll be on his back before he's even on the pitch, never mind making a defensive error.

One of those wait and see type signings, hard to tell what you're going to get when you don't know how he's going to slot in and how fit he'll be by the time Woolf and Daniels have finished with him.

Should be good for some entertainment value at least.

When is he is due to be recovered from his injury? Are we likely to get a pre-season out of him or will he be crocked into the new year?

30 minutes ago, Moove said:

Knowing some of our fans we'll be on his back before he's even on the pitch, never mind making a defensive error.

One of those wait and see type signings, hard to tell what you're going to get when you don't know how he's going to slot in and how fit he'll be by the time Woolf and Daniels have finished with him.

Should be good for some entertainment value at least.

When is he is due to be recovered from his injury? Are we likely to get a pre-season out of him or will he be crocked into the new year?

Agar said he might be available if we make the playoffs, however I doubt I, he's in a boot for 4-6 weeks and knowing what Plantarfascia is like (not me but my wife suffers badly from it) I don't think we'll see him in a Leeds shirt again, he's torn it which will be very painful and difficult to heal, if indeed t does heal properly.

You will definitely get entertainment value when he plays, but you'll also see the best and the worst of him probably within minutes of each other, I really can't see him as a second rower though.

41 minutes ago, Moove said:

Absolutely spot on! Usually the case with all our signings if they don’t measure up to Mal Meninga in his prime.

13 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I'll wager, with all the Saints nuts in here, that Grace scores more tries playing outside Hurrel, than he does playing outside Percival, (pro rata).

People bang on like Hurrell is some unstoppable force.  Percy has played fewer games than Hurrell in 2021 but has more busts and breaks to his name despite being eased back after injury.  Hurrell is worth one or two eye catching runs a game - style over substance, which is not a good fit in this Saints team where success is built on effort, commitment and professionalism.

13 hours ago, fighting irish said:

That's interesting as the view Leeds end when he first came was that he never passed it to his winger either or if he did it missed the target into touch... 

11 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

To be fair wasn't Ash Handley top try scorer in the year he played outside Hurrell?

yep... probably came when Sutcliffe covered... chuckle. although to be frank I don't know but yep Handley was top try scorer

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

yep... probably came when Sutcliffe covered... chuckle. although to be frank I don't know but yep Handley was top try scorer

If Sutcliffe had vision and could pass, he’d have made it as a half. Sadly he doesn’t 

32 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

If Sutcliffe had vision and could pass, he’d have made it as a half. Sadly he doesn’t 

still think he is good for Leeds at centre... even if not ideal covering for Gale which he has done recently,,, better than Leeming covering.   I think his passing is fine, he was or has been instructed to run more with the ball when covering for half back but he occasionally over did it.

2 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

The problem with Saints fans is they think Percival should pass to Grace every time he gets the ball, regardless of weather conditions, whether the defending wingers hips are turned or what the goal of the attacking set is. Fortunately Percival has better decision making than that.

now your bringing into play the complexities for those of us whom only watch the ball...

15 hours ago, M j M said:

How is it delusional to think he will possibly play 2nd row?

19 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

The problem with Saints fans is they think Percival should pass to Grace every time he gets the ball, regardless of weather conditions, whether the defending wingers hips are turned or what the goal of the attacking set is. Fortunately Percival has better decision making than that.

Percival's decision making consists of not making any decisions, just step and try and score.

Grace is a wasted (very valuable) resource outside Percival.

A fair number of his (Grace's) tries have come about when the stand off, misses the centre out and passes to Grace.

26 minutes ago, dkw said:

How is it delusional to think he will possibly play 2nd row?

Because he's never played there, and doesn't have the defensive discipline or fitness levels to play such a role.

I would question any coach who said he'd been signed to play there.

Archived