Autumn Internationals

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yep dont blame anyone unless you a playing eng or in a tournament for England for not putting their hand up.  The lack of crowds will then be used for why Eng cant play them and on the cycle will go. 

Sad reality is that with barely any promotion and playing only the Knights, the Jamaica game a couple of years ago got a pretty decent crowd given the circumstances at Headingley.

Its all lip service.

10 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Is there a reason why Scotland can't play in Scotland? Is RL banned in Scotland?

Are there any stadiums available? Are medical personnel available? Are ballboys, cleaners, stewards, caterers, general helpers, bar staff etc...

I expect its pretty damn difficult to find a venue to play any games at such a late time after being shafted by the cowardly antipodean. How about RL fans see this as a positive that we get to see any kind if international RL after what's happened and get right behind it.

19 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Is there a reason why Scotland can't play in Scotland? Is RL banned in Scotland?

I watched Scotland v Wales in Galashiels....and a friend of mine goes to watch community games regularly

39 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Awaits France v England at Leigh and Wales v Ireland at some small rugby union club house in central Wales.

More likely Wales will play in either the Racecourse Stadium Wrexham (previously hosted Wales RL games in RLWC2013 and later dates too) or Stadiwm Zip World, Eirias Park, Colwyn Bay (hosting Wales RL U16 and U17 on 22nd August and current home of North Wales Crusaders RL)....

29 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The first decision seem to be "what's the cheapest venue we can get" as opposed to where can we make this the biggest and best event. That's what happens with after thoughts.

Exactly this. If you're not going to bother making these things in to an event then just don't bother. It just undermines the international game.

I'll wait until next year's World Cup. I went to the recent England game at Warrington, the atmosphere was ###### and a halt empty stadium to boot. Plus an England side who couldn't beat a team only finalised on the Tuesday as they played at the weekend. 

The more I think about this, the more stupid I think it is. No offence to Fev - been there loads of times and thoroughly enjoyed each visit to Post Office Road - but it's hardly a vibrant tourist/party destination. 

These games should be an advert for next year's World Cup for heaven's sake. Almost like a free hit to raise the profile of the teams involved - "if you enjoyed this then we've got a World Cup next year". 

It beggars belief that anybody involved at the RFL or with the teams involved would think playing at Fev would be a good idea.

I no longer have a club to support. I've stopped watching the NRL because of their behaviour re the RLWC. And if this ridiculous schedule comes to pass I won't be watching these internationals. I'm not sure that leaves me very many options, and the question continues to be asked; why should I take rugby league seriously when the sport itself refuses to?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Looks as if we’re getting the following:

Jamaica vs. Scotland (Featherstone)

France vs. England (venue TBC)

Wales vs. Ireland (venue TBC)

Well, if you need a working definition of doing the least possible so you can pretend you’ve tried ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Looks as if we’re getting the following:

Jamaica vs. Scotland (Featherstone)

France vs. England (venue TBC)

Wales vs. Ireland (venue TBC)

Not bad for the first weekend, what about the 2-3 weekends after that?..

26 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's good to see the games being put on, and I am hoping that this isn't just it, but for goodness sake it's like the RFL doesn't even want these things to work or be a success so it doesn't need to do them again. 

Or there is very little money available for an international programme and the team 8s doing the best they can with incredibly limited funds and time. Maybe you can fo volunteer your money qnd time to show them how they should do it?

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

On one hand you're correct. But on the other, seriously, who thought Jamaica v Scotland should be in Fev? 

I would say it's better than nothing but I aren't so sure. 

But we have no idea as to why, immediately people are jumping all over it without knowing if its even true, or if it is why its happening.  Most stadiums will have been desperately trying to fill their calendar as soon as they were allowed to have sport played there, there's a very good chance of limited availability for games organised at such short notice.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Or there is very little money available for an international programme and the team 8s doing the best they can with incredibly limited funds and time. Maybe you can fo volunteer your money qnd time to show them how they should do it?

I find these kind of replies pathetic to be honest and you are a better poster than that.

The RFL is a professional organisation with full time staff. It is certainly not a fans job to do their job for them for free. Fans are customers who need to be persuaded to buy into an event, maybe you and the RFL should remember that.

There is no excuse for a Jamaica v Scotland match being at Fev. None at all. It's a village with a population of 15k. Jamaica got over 7k v England Knights at Headingley. Leeds Beckett have used Headingley for goodness sake, it's not that expensive but infinitely more prestigious and based in a major city.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

There is no excuse for a Jamaica v Scotland match being at Fev.  

You literally have no idea of this, of course there can be an excuse/reason for it, there is no information on it as of yet (we don't even know if it's true). 

I do apologise on the last post though, was unnecessary.  But it gets my back up when people immediately pile in without having any facts around something. 

Archived