Autumn Internationals

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have made every effort to hold some games exactly as they would have been for the RLWC. Cut-price tickets for those with a RLWC ticket already. If Jamaica were due to play Ireland at Headingley on a Friday/Saturday night (I think they were), and 10k tickets had been sold, build on that interest.

Week 1: Warm Ups

Wales V England
France V Jamaica
Ireland V Scotland

Weeks 2-3/4: Mini-Series

England V France x 3
Scotland V Ireland x 2
Wales V Jamaica x 2

Would be reasonable. If all we get is the 3 games mentioned in the OP it is probably major warning signs.

5 hours ago, dkw said:

Or there is very little money available for an international programme and the team 8s doing the best they can with incredibly limited funds and time. Maybe you can fo volunteer your money qnd time to show them how they should do it?

If they can't resource it properly then they shouldn't do it IMO. It just massively devalues the international game when things are done half-arsed. And that's the last thing they should be doing with a World Cup next year.

9 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Is there a reason why Scotland can't play in Scotland? Is RL banned in Scotland?

Meetings of more than 2 people.

Just watching the final of The Hundred and thoroughly enjoying it. I know there's a whole other thread on The Hundred and lessons that RL can learn, but it's obvious from this that a significant proportion of the crowd are there for the 'event' as opposed to being die hard fans of either team.

If RL's powers-that-be are seriously considering playing Jamaica vs Scotland at Fev, then it perfectly encapsulates why the game is currently in the dire straits that it's in.

2 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Just watching the final of The Hundred and thoroughly enjoying it. I know there's a whole other thread on The Hundred and lessons that RL can learn, but it's obvious from this that a significant proportion of the crowd are there for the 'event' as opposed to being die hard fans of either team.

If RL's powers-that-be are seriously considering playing Jamaica vs Scotland at Fev, then it perfectly encapsulates why the game is currently in the dire straits that it's in.

Where are Equador playing Italy at cricket this year ?

I don't care. What I care about is what we can do in this country to promote and expand the game of RL.

The cricket finished a bit ' damp ' in the end 

Just for the record , where do you suggest they play it ?

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The cricket finished a bit ' damp ' in the end 

Just for the record , where do you suggest they play it ?

I'm not sure they should play it. If the powers-that-be are going to treat it as an afterthought and provide insufficient resources to create a meaningful event that will be attractive to both spectators and players, then they shouldn't bother. 

It isn't a case of picking a ground and saying "it would be good there - they've got a train station nearby and should get at least 5k through the gates". They need to do some market research, put a meaningful long term calendar together and put games out to tender to see which towns and cities want to host. Not throw something together at the last minute based off the back of a fag packet.

What is the point of these games? Is it to just tick a box to say they've played some? If they're played in uninspiring stadiums with minimal effort going in to the promotion and the wider 'event' side of things, then I fail to see how they're going to prompt the players to make themselves eligible to play, or to make the event attractive to spectators. What good is that going to do ahead of next year's World Cup?

26 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

What I care about is what we can do in this country to promote and expand the game of RL.

But you are happy to say negative comments about Featherstone and the local region, who have supporters that could be Scottish or Jamaican. Not forgetting that a current player is a Scottish international.  

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Just now, Chris Taylor said:

But you are happy to say negative comments about Featherstone and the local region, who have supporters that could be Scottish or Jamaican. Not forgetting that a current player is a Scottish international.  

Featherstone is a great little ground. But the reality is that Fev is a tiny village with a population of 15k, and the ground holds <7k. My comments are not intended to be negative, but just highlighting the reality of the situation.

As another poster has pointed out, Jamaica's game against England Knights got more that 7k with minimal promotion, so why on earth would you choose to play in a smaller ground? Plus, plenty of clubs can boast Scottish or Jamaican internationals, so I fail to see why this is relevant.

Do you genuinely believe that Fev is the best place play to this sort of fixture? And if the rumour is true, do you think that the RFL (or whoever has organised it) genuinely believes it's the best place to play, or is this decision just being made on the basis of convenience?

Featherstone is a great little ground. But the reality is that Fev is a tiny village with a population of 15k, and the ground holds <7k. My comments are not intended to be negative, but just highlighting the reality of the situation.

As another poster has pointed out, Jamaica's game against England Knights got more that 7k with minimal promotion, so why on earth would you choose to play in a smaller ground? Plus, plenty of clubs can boast Scottish or Jamaican internationals, so I fail to see why this is relevant.

Do you genuinely believe that Fev is the best place play to this sort of fixture? And if the rumour is true, do you think that the RFL (or whoever has organised it) genuinely believes it's the best place to play, or is this decision just being made on the basis of convenience?

So where do you suggest ?

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So where do you suggest ?

Did you not read my previous answer to this question or did you choose to ignore it? I'll paste it again for you here:

28 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I'm not sure they should play it. If the powers-that-be are going to treat it as an afterthought and provide insufficient resources to create a meaningful event that will be attractive to both spectators and players, then they shouldn't bother. 

It isn't a case of picking a ground and saying "it would be good there - they've got a train station nearby and should get at least 5k through the gates". They need to do some market research, put a meaningful long term calendar together and put games out to tender to see which towns and cities want to host. Not throw something together at the last minute based off the back of a fag packet.

What is the point of these games? Is it to just tick a box to say they've played some? If they're played in uninspiring stadiums with minimal effort going in to the promotion and the wider 'event' side of things, then I fail to see how they're going to prompt the players to make themselves eligible to play, or to make the event attractive to spectators. What good is that going to do ahead of next year's World Cup?

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Ugh, the old chestnut of Featherstone being a tiny village is so boring and tiresome. 

Maybe the reality of the situation is Featherstone regularly hosts Rugby matches for the community, has the right facilities for this type of fixture and maybe would get a full house - which would look good on TV (if on tv). 

No idea if it's the best as I don't know what venues are available.

I don't think Ashton Goulding, Dale Ferguson, Danny Addy, Callum Mcelland would have any problems playing there. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Archived