Autumn Internationals

9 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Did you not read my previous answer to this question or did you choose to ignore it? I'll paste it again for you here:

Yes I did , blind criticism is easy , so again , where do you suggest ? , Jamaica perhaps ? , Glasgow maybe ? , How about Leigh , 4 times the size of Fev with a superior stadium ? 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

It may be tiresome, but unfortunately it is the reality of the situation.

I let you into a secret, not everybody who supports Featherstone lives in Featherstone. 

So a meaningful event that you talk about, ideally where would you play?

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes I did , blind criticism is easy , so again , where do you suggest ? , Jamaica perhaps ? , Glasgow maybe ? , How about Leigh , 4 times the size of Fev with a superior stadium ? 

Yep. I'd go for Leigh. There's a really good pub down the road from the stadium and the fans will be able to get the number 54 bus. I'm surprised they haven't booked the Grand Final there to be honest.

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

The cultural cringe some people have about the towns, villages and cities that gave birth to and nurtured Rugby League never ceases to amaze.

You're right - I take it all back. Fev is without doubt the best play to an international and create an 'event'. The takings from the corporate sales alone will be enormous.

21 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

See my previous response earlier.

"They need to do some market research, put a meaningful long term calendar together and put games out to tender to see which towns and cities want to host. Not throw something together at the last minute based off the back of a fag packet."

I don't disagree, but you have 2 - 3 months to organise such event, this is pretty much impossible to do - let's just call it off cos Featherstone is dump. 

"I take it all back. Fev is without doubt the best play to an international and create an 'event'. The takings from the corporate sales alone will be enormous."

Seeing as the club own the stadium, you'd get much more of a return than a vast majority of the clubs in the game. There's lots of space for marquees / fan zones around the stadium - oh and a good sized clubhouse. 

20 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Do you honestly, but honestly, except any Jamaican or Scottish diaspora, in or near Fev, to be either aware of the game or actually even likely to go if it does happen? (Assuming it does) 

Its random beyond belief.

Well this is all dependant on how much promotion the event is given.

The game itself should be a very close encounter IMO, with some very good players on show I believe the appetite for Jamaican RL is getting stronger and probably has a bigger brand than Scotland RL. 

If you can get anywhere between 5 - 7k for this game than I would personally deem it a success.

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

No it wouldnt.  It would be worse because there is still zero incentive for anyone not playing england to bother. 

So unless they play England every year the rest don’t bother? Weird take.

I am all for full Euro Cup featuring England going forward but England aren’t going to be able or willing to play all of France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland & Jamaica every year unfortunately. I do think they should be playing France & at least one of the others annually to help develop local competition.

23 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

England knights v Jamaica got a respectable crowd at headingley. 

If Jamaica v Scotland at Fev (regardless of whether it is a brilliant game) gets 5-7k, then I will personally send you 56p via PayPal.

Here's hoping! 😄

I dont think Fev is the best place to play that fixture, but just to clear something up for those taking pot shots at the place, it's a town not a village. At least make your insults accurate.

It should probably be at Wembley, large Jamaican and Scottish populations in London, big stadium for this marquee friendly, organized last minute. Probably fill it.

Maybe Headingley wasnt available or too expensive and Fev is one of the closest decent stadiums to Leeds, unless of course it gets played at Belle Vue or Wheldon Road. Organizing tin pot games at short notice is never going to be ideal is it. Notions that we can make a last minute friendly between two fake international teams an 'event' is peak forum banter.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I dont think Fev is the best place to play that fixture, but just to clear something up for those taking pot shots at the place, it's a town not a village. At least make your insults accurate.

It should probably be at Wembley, large Jamaican and Scottish populations in London, big stadium for this marquee friendly, organized last minute. Probably fill it.

Maybe Headingley wasnt available or too expensive and Fev is one of the closest decent stadiums to Leeds, unless of course it gets played at Belle Vue or Wheldon Road. Organizing tin pot games at short notice is never going to be ideal is it. Notions that we can make a last minute friendly between two fake international teams an 'event' is peak forum banter.

Jamaica isn't a 'fake' international team.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

Jamaica isn't a 'fake' international team.

Jamaica are a genuine team, they even have a domestic league and every player will qualify for them under virtually the International qualification rules as every other sport uses. 

Why do so called Rugby League fans try to talk down and rubbish an International fixture as soon as it’s announced. Sad really, it’s like they don’t want the sport to be successful. 

5 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

You're correct. Just checked online and Featherstone is classed as a town and not a village. This new information therefore obviously invalidates every point I made. 

12 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

I let you into a secret, not everybody who supports Featherstone lives in Featherstone. 

So a meaningful event that you talk about, ideally where would you play?

And, even more amazingly, people are allowed to travel to Featherstone to watch the game if they choose...I know, mind blowing isn't it.

36 minutes ago, dkw said:

And, even more amazingly, people are allowed to travel to Featherstone to watch the game if they choose...I know, mind blowing isn't it.

Of course but the trouble is it isn't that appealing to many and certainly isn't selling itself as an international event worth going to.

12 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Yep. I'd go for Leigh. There's a really good pub down the road from the stadium and the fans will be able to get the number 54 bus. I'm surprised they haven't booked the Grand Final there to be honest.

Glad to hear that good choice , bit small for the GF IMO 

Any other suggestions for Jamaica , Scotland ?

56 minutes ago, dkw said:

And it has a train station , at the end of the road virtually ,so no excuses 😉

I don't think it's a bad venue. It's a nice stadium and easy to get to. It's close to a lot of big population areas. Any fans from the Jamaican communities in the Leeds and Huddersfield areas don't have far to go to get to the game.

Archived