Autumn Internationals

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Damien said:

It's funny, the moment I saw the notification that you replied I just knew it would just be a question, as usual. 

Provide an alternative , with the reasons why , it's called debate , rather than just having digs at everything 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Provide an alternative , with the reasons why , it's called debate , rather than just having digs at everything 

Try and actually contribute to a thread for once instead of continually digging by asking boring one line questions. That is not debating. Surely you have more to offer than that.

What's frustrating about this thread is we've all being complaining for a long time that England won't play France and we need games for the home nations plus Jamaica.

We've now got this and instead of being excited and talking about buying tickets, taking mates along etc we just find something else to complain about

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That post explains everything about your contributions to these threads 

Childish 

There's no need to get personal. I've answered your question and you choose to ignore it and repeat the same question again and again. Either you're deliberately trolling or your don't understand the arguments being put to you. If you don't have anything to contribute other than trolling and refusing to engage with the discussion, then go on to a different thread and/or put me on ignore.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Try and actually contribute to a thread for once instead of continually digging by asking boring one line questions. That is not debating. Surely you have more to offer than that.

I don't know enough about the demographics of the Jamaican population in say Yorkshire to put forward an alternative venue , would I go to this game other than it being played in Leigh ? , No , would you be going to it ? 

Fev is a nice little ground with good transport links ( close train station ) fairly central within large RL fan bases 

Others are obviously more informed than me , so it's not unusual to ask their opinions 

6 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

What's frustrating about this thread is we've all being complaining for a long time that England won't play France and we need games for the home nations plus Jamaica.

We've now got this and instead of being excited and talking about buying tickets, taking mates along etc we just find something else to complain about

As I've said , unless it was local ( very ) to me , I doubt I'd be going , but others who claim to want to attend these games , don't want to put forward other options , but just moan about what has been suggested 

On 21/08/2021 at 10:45, dkw said:

Are there any stadiums available? Are medical personnel available? Are ballboys, cleaners, stewards, caterers, general helpers, bar staff etc...

I expect its pretty damn difficult to find a venue to play any games at such a late time after being shafted by the cowardly antipodean. How about RL fans see this as a positive that we get to see any kind if international RL after what's happened and get right behind it.

Scotland is just across the road from Cumbria. We're not talking about an alternate universe, there is such a thing called travel? Not sure what you're on about there

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As I've said , unless it was local ( very ) to me , I doubt I'd be going , but others who claim to want to attend these games , don't want to put forward other options , but just moan about what has been suggested 

If all 3 games can get decent crowds, create some interest and provide competitive games  then the RFL has something to build on. 

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't know enough about the demographics of the Jamaican population in say Yorkshire to put forward an alternative venue , would I go to this game other than it being played in Leigh ? , No , would you be going to it ? 

Fev is a nice little ground with good transport links ( close train station ) fairly central within large RL fan bases 

Others are obviously more informed than me , so it's not unusual to ask their opinions 

No I will not be going to it. I do know 2 friends in London, both half Jamaican with Jamaican fathers, who travelled to Leeds to watch the Jamaican game there. They have no intention of doing so if the game is in Featherstone as it doesn't appeal. It is simply not worthy of spending hundreds and traveling hundreds of miles. If it was London they'd go, if it was Manchester they'd go, if it was Leeds they'd go. That to me says this will not appeal to people that should be the target market.

Internationals in cities are a pretty easy sell to floating and non RL fans, provided they know about it of course. For many years they were the staple meet up and weekend away with my old friends from University. Until internationals disappeared that is. They are much more appealing to sponsors and carry more prestige and kudos. Perception is important. 

When we have been discussing building up the international game for weeks on here a game in Featherstone is a pretty bad place to start in my opinion. I can't see how this does anything for the game in Scotland or the game in Jamaica. I can't see how it taps into the large Jamaican areas in the UK. I can't see how it adds to the international scene. Looking at areas with large Jamiacan populations London, Manchester, Leeds are all notable from a RL perspective. The likes of Sheffield, Bradford and Coventry to a lesser extent too though there may be more ground issues, although of course the RFL own Odsal. All cities with much greater populations and with much larger Jamaican populations to tap into.

Obviously living in Hull I'm always going to be a bit out of the way of most internationals going on so I won't be going to the non England games with them being in places like Fev. For someone who doesn't have their own transport smaller places like that can be a little awkward to get to but I would definitely consider going to one of the non England games if it was only one train away, or two trains with one easy change say.

I was hoping the Jamaica game would have been in Leeds again and preferably on a weekend afternoon and then I would definitely have gone. Like I say, I'll go if it's within an hour and half or so train journey as well. I'm going to try to get to the England game wherever it is. 

5 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

You're correct. Just checked online and Featherstone is classed as a town and not a village. This new information therefore obviously invalidates every point I made. 

Glad I could help and that I have so much credibility you had to check on the internet.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

6 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Jamaica are a genuine team, they even have a domestic league and every player will qualify for them under virtually the International qualification rules as every other sport uses. 

Why do so called Rugby League fans try to talk down and rubbish an International fixture as soon as it’s announced. Sad really, it’s like they don’t want the sport to be successful. 

I know they have a league, I know some of their players quite well. I wonder how many will be flown over for this fixture? 

It may have escaped you but I didn’t start moaning and rubbishing this fixture, you and the other internet heroes did at the suggestion of the venue. 

RL has far bigger problems than where Scotland play Jamaica in a friendly. It’s a largely meaningless game but good that they’re playing. The best thing about this being in Fev is your predictable incel reaction.

3736-mipm.gif

5 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I know they have a league, I know some of their players quite well. I wonder how many will be flown over for this fixture? 

It may have escaped you but I didn’t start moaning and rubbishing this fixture, you and the other internet heroes did at the suggestion of the venue. 

RL has far bigger problems than where Scotland play Jamaica in a friendly. It’s a largely meaningless game but good that they’re playing. The best thing about this being in Fev is your predictable incel reaction.

You just know if it had been announced ( if it has yet ) as being at Headingley and we get 2,000 on the same posters would be criticising the RFL ( is it their responsibility for non England/GB ) for having it at too big a venue 🤔

23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You just know if it had been announced ( if it has yet ) as being at Headingley and we get 2,000 on the same posters would be criticising the RFL ( is it their responsibility for non England/GB ) for having it at too big a venue 🤔

Probably. It’s amusing how much impact people think a last minute friendly between Scotland and Jamaica will have on the game. Thousands of Scottish and Jamaican fans crying into their breakfast because it’s not in Leeds.

3736-mipm.gif

18 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

Ugh, the old chestnut of Featherstone being a tiny village is so boring and tiresome. 

Maybe the reality of the situation is Featherstone regularly hosts Rugby matches for the community, has the right facilities for this type of fixture and maybe would get a full house - which would look good on TV (if on tv). 

No idea if it's the best as I don't know what venues are available.

I don't think Ashton Goulding, Dale Ferguson, Danny Addy, Callum Mcelland would have any problems playing there. 

On TV?  An International played in tiny Featherstone?  Just what image of the game do you think that would give outsiders???

8 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

... every player will qualify for them under virtually the International qualification rules as every other sport uses.

That's not true.  As I've shown previously in another thread about that subject, most sports use citizenship as the basis for qualification and players either have to be citizens or be eligible for citizenship to be selected.  As it happens some of the heritage Jamaicans would have Jamaican nationality by birthright under Jamaican law so they're all eligible to claim Jamaican citizenship.

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Probably. It’s amusing how much impact people think a last minute friendly between Scotland and Jamaica will have on the game. Thousands of Scottish and Jamaican fans crying into their breakfast because it’s not in Leeds.

Everybody knows that putting on a half baked contest in a hurry in Featherstone will do nothing for anyone.

But, as I said in my first response, it means we as a sport can do the absolute minimum possible and still put a tick in a box saying, "We tried, honest, but nobody was interested".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

55 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Everybody knows that putting on a half baked contest in a hurry in Featherstone will do nothing for anyone.

But, as I said in my first response, it means we as a sport can do the absolute minimum possible and still put a tick in a box saying, "We tried, honest, but nobody was interested".

It gives the teams a fixture, which is something. Hardly ideal by any stretch but neither are the circumstances and we don’t know the background to the decision. I don’t know if ‘we as a sport’ are putting that much stock on the outcome of Scotland v Jamaica, I’m more interested in what happens for the England v France game. The Jamaica game has a very narrow range to make a minor impact on international RL development. You could play it at Murrayfield and it would still be a minor event. No amount of anecdotes on an Internet forum about Jamaican mates wanting an event will change that. The event was/will be the World Cup. That won’t be played at POR.

In any case, any internationals put on this autumn were bound to be a bit of a hodge podge, not that it isn’t always that way but at least they have an excuse this time and are trying to put something on. 

3736-mipm.gif

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

On TV?  An International played in tiny Featherstone?  Just what image of the game do you think that would give outsiders???

That's not true.  As I've shown previously in another thread about that subject, most sports use citizenship as the basis for qualification and players either have to be citizens or be eligible for citizenship to be selected.  As it happens some of the heritage Jamaicans would have Jamaican nationality by birthright under Jamaican law so they're all eligible to claim Jamaican citizenship.

The qualification rules in football (listed below) sound rather similar to ours as do Rugby Union, Rugby League fans need to just get over it. 

shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfils one of the following conditions:
a) He was born on the territory of the relevant association;
b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant association;
c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant association;
d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant association.

Archived