Autumn Internationals

On 27/08/2021 at 09:07, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If England are playing away in France it could do with been officially announced ASAP to give people the best chance they can to sort travel etc. The same is true for French fans travelling to England tbf, let’s get the date and venue announcement out. 

Do you really think fans will travel from France to watch the French RL team?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’ve genuinely never come across anyone watching live sport with concerns over the players place of birth, try caring about it less and just watch the game, you might enjoy it.

I don't care where they were born, I do care what citizenship they have though.  Other than a small percentage (say 20%) who are non-citizens but are eligible for citizenship I think all players in an International should be citizens of the country they represent.

6 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Why? 

Because he has no positive contribution to make. None, zero, zilch, nada, nowt, sweet FA. 

12 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Why? 

Because nowadays nationality is primarily based on citizenship which can be entirely separate from where someone was born, and because citizenship is what most of the team sports which have an International scene use as the basis for their eligibility rules.

On 31/08/2021 at 01:14, The Frying Scotsman said:

"Too good to miss"?? 

Apparently not. The RFL prefer to base the Jamaican team in a depressed former mining village.

I can't wait to see the colourful, multi-cultural crowd this one attracts. A real shop window for international Rugby League 👍🏿

Not sure why the make up of the crowd matters marra.

I just want to see a good game that the people who go to watch enjoy - can we just call them RL fans as who cares what colour their skin is or where they come from?

Are you going be upset if a load of nasty white middle aged men turn up?

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Because nowadays nationality is primarily based on citizenship which can be entirely separate from where someone was born, and because citizenship is what most of the team sports which have an International scene use as the basis for their eligibility rules.

I couldn't give a toss what other sports have as their eligibility rules, that's up to them, they don't dictate what we do in our sport and we shouldn't run our sport based on what others do. We are our own thing just like they are theirs and we've chosen a set of rules for international eligibility that suits us not what suits football, union, cricket, basketball, ice hockey, kabaddi, goat polo or whatever other sport you can think of.

All I care about is seeing an entertaining game of rugby league and I couldn't really care less who is playing for what team to achieve that. 

12 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Having citizenship is often purely a flag of convenience with international sport, happens all the time in the Olympics for example, the biggest global sporting event.

53 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Having citizenship is often purely a flag of convenience with international sport, happens all the time in the Olympics for example, the biggest global sporting event.

The IOC just accepts the rules that each sport's own global body has in place.

So, for example, you won't see too many flags of convenience in soccer but athletics is a little bit looser.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It seems as if football changed its eligibility rules when I wasn't looking. It used to be that once a player appeared in a competitive senior game for his country he was locked into playing for them and no-one else. Now it appears that you can switch if you have played no more than 3 competitive senior matches before turning 21.

More and more sports are allowing players to switch between nations, albeit with different ways of regulating it.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

4 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

It seems as if football changed its eligibility rules when I wasn't looking. It used to be that once a player appeared in a competitive senior game for his country he was locked into playing for them and no-one else. Now it appears that you can switch if you have played no more than 3 competitive senior matches before turning 21.

More and more sports are allowing players to switch between nations, albeit with different ways of regulating it.

So they did. That passed me by as well. Change made last September.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

I never thought Football would go down that route. It obviously seems designed to stop larger nations capping young players and tying them in on the off chance that they may want them down the line.

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

I never thought Football would go down that route. It obviously seems designed to stop larger nations capping young players and tying them in on the off chance that they may want them down the line.

Cap and trap as they say.

In reverse it was also what many Irish fans wanted the FAI to do to Grealish and Rice.

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

There are just so many people eligible for multiple nations these days (IIRC Gareth Southgate said half the players in England's age group teams are also eligible for other countries) and international sports bodies are under pressure to at least be seen to understand and make some allowance for that. It also, as RL can attest, increases competitiveness in tournaments.

40 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So they did. That passed me by as well. Change made last September.

I only noticed it in an article about Greenwood being left out of the England squad and Jamaica sniffing around. 

On 31/08/2021 at 20:36, Big Picture said:

Other than a small percentage (say 20%) who are non-citizens but are eligible for citizenship I think all players in an International should be citizens of the country they represent.

How do you become a citizen of Wales?

Or the Cook Islands?

Or England. What is an English citizen?

Should all Ireland players have to be Irish citizens?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Or the Cook Islands?

Thanks.

My oldest boy was born in Moscow and ended up with a rugby scholarship at a boarding school in Scotland he was playing for Wasps juniors at the time and the SRU were desperate for young players he was about as Scottish as a curry (Actually thinking about it there are some great curry houses in Glasgow LOL:)

My wife recently acquired her UK citizenship and told me that the language test was hilarious (She speaks 4 languages fluently) So I guess nowadays its not just birthright to qualify but residency and also affiliation I am told that there are quite a few decent polish rugby and Gaelic football players in Ireland now:)

Paul

Paul

3 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Yeah and that would mean that a player could potentially play in a couple of world cup or euros games and play for a different nation at the next World Cup or euros, which if a player did that in league fans would think it was ridiculous but because its football nothing would get said about it. 

10 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yeah and that would mean that a player could potentially play in a couple of world cup or euros games and play for a different nation at the next World Cup or euros, which if a player did that in league fans would think it was ridiculous but because its football nothing would get said about it. 

As a football fan, I would find it absolutely ridiculous if a player played in a major tournament for one team, and then two or four years later played for a different team in another major tournament. If that's what football is allowing, I think that's a massive mistake that would make a mockery of international football. Friendlies are one thing, but when you're talking about competitive games, that's a whole different thing. Even more so when it's the tournament stage of a World Cup or European Championship.

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The World Cup and major continental tournaments are specifically excluded from the three caps. Play one game in those and you’re locked in.

9 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Or the Cook Islands?

Thanks.

Seeing that lacrosse is a sport which uses citizenship as the criteria and England, Wales and Scotland are all represented separately in lacrosse which also has an Ireland team rather than separate teams for the Republic and Northern Ireland, clearly there are ways.

Players born in any of those countries would obviously be deemed to be citizens of the country where they were born.  In cases of naturalization I can think of two options: a player naturalized in a multi-national state like Britain could be deemed to a citizen of the country where he or she lived when naturalized, or possibly he or she could elect which of those countries to represent.  Players naturalized in Northern Ireland could be deemed (or elect to be deemed) to be citizens of Ireland for this purpose.

Players linked by ancestry with a country which allows descendents to gain citizenship there can always apply for that citizenship too as they're already eligible under the relevant law.

Archived