Time to go back to the original Super League idea?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, yipyee said:

If it is then feel free to correct me

R L HUGHES PRIMARY SCHOOL
Mayfield Street
Ashton-in-Makerfield

Wigan
WN4 9QL

The site has the following facilities:

• Grass Pitches - Junior Rugby League

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

24 minutes ago, Padge said:

R L HUGHES PRIMARY SCHOOL
Mayfield Street
Ashton-in-Makerfield

Wigan
WN4 9QL

The site has the following facilities:

• Grass Pitches - Junior Rugby League

That doesnt have RL posts up, they have football pitches a local side play on ..ashton park..

I have been there have you?

8 minutes ago, yipyee said:

That doesnt have RL posts up, they have football pitches a local side play on ..ashton park..

I have been there have you?

Many fields have interchangeable posts, I know that, do you.

Would you believe they actually change them at a lot of professional clubs as well.

I was involved in a Sport England sports facilities survey, what was your involvement.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

You serious?

You tell me what in your little world the national sport of wales is as in the real world its rugby union.

The soccer national team even play games in swansea etc as they cant fill the national stadium.

Have you even been to wales? Do you know any welsh people?

13 hours ago, yipyee said:

Football only has 2 pro clubs in Wales. 

I mean you're half right. In that the number of full time professional football clubs is double that.

And it has more football clubs than rugby clubs.

More football players than rugby players.

And more people watch football than watch rugby.

But, other than that, good job. Da iawn.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I mean you're half right. In that the number of full time professional football clubs is double that.

And it has more football clubs than rugby clubs.

More football players than rugby players.

And more people watch football than watch rugby.

But, other than that, good job. Da iawn.

If your counting participation numbers that includes 5 a side and walking football etc.. 

Rugby is more popular than football as many football fans (in general) say they support a team when its just a popular thing to say. For example if you say what music dp you like, but then most people will have never gone to watch the bands or acts they reem off. Same with soccer.

With rugby people will only say they are a fan if they are.

Now you can pretend that soccer is more popular however if it was in the real world it would be the national sport! 

The purpose of defining a national sport is that its the most popular.

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

If your counting participation numbers that includes 5 a side and walking football etc.. 

Rugby is more popular than football as many football fans (in general) say they support a team when its just a popular thing to say. For example if you say what music dp you like, but then most people will have never gone to watch the bands or acts they reem off. Same with soccer.

Now you can pretend that soccer is more popular however if it was in the real world it would be the national sport! 

That's a pretty sweeping statement whatever the conversation? 😕  

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Football is the national sport of Wales in any way you care to define it with the sole exception that, because of a historical quirk that makes them competitive, the Welsh national rugby union team draws higher attendances, sponsorship and TV coverage.

But football is, as you'd expect, played and watched by more people.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Football is the national sport of Wales in any way you care to define it with the sole exception that, because of a historical quirk that makes them competitive, the Welsh national rugby union team draws higher attendances, sponsorship and TV coverage.

I was speaking to a couple of my Welsh mates about this a few weeks ago - mad football (Liverpool fans). I asked them whether they follow the rugby and one said when big games are on, you hear about it and it is a big deal but the rest of the time no one really cares.

Now that is a couple of people of course, but highlights there is a difference between a country's national sport and nationalism. 

38 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I was speaking to a couple of my Welsh mates about this a few weeks ago - mad football (Liverpool fans). I asked them whether they follow the rugby and one said when big games are on, you hear about it and it is a big deal but the rest of the time no one really cares.

Now that is a couple of people of course, but highlights there is a difference between a country's national sport and nationalism. 

The club they support is Liverpool, last time I checked that was in England. Are they liverpool ST holders?

If they are mad fans wheres their local club to support. Or do they support an English club because soccer isnt that big in wales?

53 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So its defined as the national sport, draws higher attendances, tv coverage and sponsorship yet you still say its not the main sport, you have just contradicted yourself.

Have a little think about what you are saying

Just now, yipyee said:

So its defined as the national sport, draws higher attendances, tv coverage and sponsorship yet you still say its not the main sport, you have just contradicted yourself.

Have a little think about what you are saying

I have had a think and am quite clear that by having more spectators, players and clubs that football is a bigger sport in Wales than any other sport including rugby union.

In fact, I'm so clear about that that I've written it multiple times now in really clear English.

I could also write it in Welsh but fewer people would understand it.

5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

The club they support is Liverpool, last time I checked that was in England. Are they liverpool ST holders?

If they are mad fans wheres their local club to support. Or do they support an English club because soccer isnt that big in wales?

This conversation is getting narrower and narrower.

I guess they were brought up in the 1980s and 1990s when Swansea and Cardiff were in the old 3rd and 4th division 😕 I really don't get where you are going with this. Generalised assertions that football and rugby fans are different people is quite bizarre. I love football and I love rugby. I would assume I'm not alone.

4 hours ago, Damien said:

That is just not true, again. I don't think you've come out with one correct statement on this page.

Or maybe one eyed fans who want to pretend Rugby is inferior are in greater numbers on here.. haha call yourself rugby fans.

The one place in the UK where rugby is king and you bunch pretend otherwise, what a sad lot

9 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Or maybe one eyed fans who want to pretend Rugby is inferior are in greater numbers on here.. haha call yourself rugby fans.

The one place in the UK where rugby is king and you bunch pretend otherwise, what a sad lot

You keep posting drivel and assertions that have no factual basis. It is not our fault that you evidently don't know what you are talking about. When your premise is codswallop, like statements like the purpose of defining a national sport is that its the most popular, then you can't expect that to go unchallenged. 

35 minutes ago, Damien said:

You keep posting drivel and assertions that have no factual basis. It is not our fault that you evidently don't know what you are talking about. When your premise is codswallop, like statements like the purpose of defining a national sport is that its the most popular, then you can't expect that to go unchallenged. 

I expect to debate and be challenged but expect the challenge to be based on facts not some age old chip on the shoulder nonsense

7 hours ago, yipyee said:

For example if you say what music dp you like, but then most people will have never gone to watch the bands or acts they reem off. Same with soccer.

What an utterly ridiculous statement, music is audible sport is visual, I like a huge number of bands and listen to their music but don't see them. Rugby league I watch, mainly live. 

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

I expect to debate and be challenged but expect the challenge to be based on facts not some age old chip on the shoulder nonsense

You are not presenting an argument based on facts, your entire argument is based on untruths and opinions. When someone says things like there are only 2 professional football clubs in Wales, it is the national sport because its the most popular and that it is the only place in the UK that primary schools have rugby posts you are being far from factual.

Football gets considerably more spectators than Rugby Union for much of the year and has considerably more participants. That is before you even get to all the Welsh people that support English Football teams. Wales RU doesn't even have a team in the North of the country and the 4 teams it does have are struggling badly. They even went from 5 o 4 because they could not sustain 5.

Can you please tell me why Volleyball is the national sport of Sri Lanka, why Pato is the national sport of Argentina or Wrestling in Turkey? For goodness sake even Golf is the national sport in Scotland and Cricket in England. None of these are the most popular, some have very little popularity in those countries. It is quite clear that national sport and most popular are not the same thing.

As for primary schools these surveys show that more Welsh kids participated in Football than Rugby:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/534612/rugby-participation-rate-school-pupils-wales-uk/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/534582/football-participation-rate-school-pupils-wales-uk/

Been to Wales? Lived there.

Know Welsh people? In-laws are Welsh.

In-laws are enthusiastic RU supporters when Wales RU play against England RU, but have little idea what's going on. 

Based on my genuine—admittedly limited— knowledge, the national sport of Wales is Liverpool FC.

Archived