Magic Friday

On Friday night Newcastle Thunder kick off rugby league’s big weekend in the North East as the Dacia Magic Weekend takes place at St James’ Park. The countdown is on to Newcastle Thunder’s biggest game of the year, as the club gears up to welcome York City Knights to Kingston Park Stadium on Friday September 3rd (KO 19:45). With the stadium less than 20 minutes away from Newcastle city centre via the Tyne & Wear Metro rail system, it’s easy to get to and will be a great way for fans to start their rugby league weekend. The round 20 Betfred Championship clash will provide Thunder the opportunity to again act as curtain raiser to the ever-popular event. Thunder general manager Jordan Robinson said: “The Friday night matches before the Magic Weekend have always been excellent evenings and we’re working hard to make sure this year is no exception.”

Thunder have also confirmed that advanced ticket prices will apply up until 5pm on match-day, allowing supporters every opportunity to save £5 on the cost of adult and concession prices, meaning tickets for the Magic Night Out are available to purchase now prices at £15 adults, £10 concessions and £5 Under 16s. To purchase a ticket please visit our website: https://www.eticketing.co.uk/newcastle-falcons/EDP/Event/Index/1632

Award winning hospitality is also available for the game at £50 for adults and £25 for under 16s. Contact helen.scott@newcastle-falcons.co.uk for further details.

#MagicNightOut #MagicFriday

If you`ve got a club with stated Super League ambitions and that seem to be doing everything right, I can`t think of a better way to reward them than by letting them have the opening match of the popular Magic Round Weekend in their home city.

The RLF definitely got this one right. Well done.

Really hope they get a big crowd on but I personally think its a joke they don't open up Magic Weekend at St James'. 

Thunder as a club seem to do everything right and should be an absolute priority for the RFL in terms of strategic expansion. What better way to achieve that than by getting thousands of locals into magic Weekend to support their local club before getting the chance to watch some good SL action (and Salford)? 

1 hour ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Really hope they get a big crowd on but I personally think its a joke they don't open up Magic Weekend at St James'. 

Thunder as a club seem to do everything right and should be an absolute priority for the RFL in terms of strategic expansion. What better way to achieve that than by getting thousands of locals into magic Weekend to support their local club before getting the chance to watch some good SL action (and Salford)? 

I do get what you are saying but playing this at their own ground (which I really like) hopefully will provide a bigger income boost for the club. 

42 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I do get what you are saying but playing this at their own ground (which I really like) hopefully will provide a bigger income boost for the club. 

Not had chance to go to their home ground yet but Newcastle is in a unique position of having a world class stadium bang in the city centre. That, plus the commitment of Geordies to their football club gives Thunder a better chance of profiting by association than going it alone (I realise they do a lot of work with NUFC but opening Magic would take it to the next level). 

Also, how many SL fans are realistically going to attend? With the first Saturday game now being 3pm the vast majority will be coming up Saturday morning.

Granted, short term playing at their home ground would likely give them a higher matchday income but I'd expect them to take a percentage of any tickets sold by the club for Magic Weekend and, longer term, the potential is there to engage more people via opening Magic Weekend at St James' imo.

None of this is a criticism of the club btw. My frustration is more aimed at the RFL for not maximising the potential of Magic Weekend to strategically expand the sport. 

1 hour ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Not had chance to go to their home ground yet but Newcastle is in a unique position of having a world class stadium bang in the city centre. That, plus the commitment of Geordies to their football club gives Thunder a better chance of profiting by association than going it alone (I realise they do a lot of work with NUFC but opening Magic would take it to the next level). 

Also, how many SL fans are realistically going to attend? With the first Saturday game now being 3pm the vast majority will be coming up Saturday morning.

Granted, short term playing at their home ground would likely give them a higher matchday income but I'd expect them to take a percentage of any tickets sold by the club for Magic Weekend and, longer term, the potential is there to engage more people via opening Magic Weekend at St James' imo.

None of this is a criticism of the club btw. My frustration is more aimed at the RFL for not maximising the potential of Magic Weekend to strategically expand the sport. 

Difficult one. Skolars get 1000+ fans turn up for our FNL match before the CC and Harringey is a bit of a trip for people coming to London. IIRC Newcastle get a decent boost and obviously no reason why Thunder can’t be promoted on Saturday. 

57 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Hope you're right and that is cracking news re Skolars. Just think the exposure of playing at SJP would be even greater.

They were supposed to open it against Toulouse last year at SJP if I remember rightly. Probably a Covid thing that they aren't this year.

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Surely Newcastle earn more money playing their game at home rather than missing out on all of their income by giving it away?

I suppose anything to blame the RFL for something though, right? Maybe the club prefer it being at their home ground?

Newcastle have ambitions to be a Super League club. As part of that, they'll need exposure to the widest audience within the city. 

One gate a year is probably worth sacrificing to attract a couple of hundred new, interested fans from the city. The fact that they were due to open Magic Weekend pre-covid suggests they recognise this. 

What is it with this desperation to defend The RFL? They are not a charity. If it's for COVID reasons, fair enough but it's at very least a shame. 

Archived