Sat 28-Sun 29 Aug: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

Just now, paulwalker71 said:

Well done Crusaders

Crusaders fans - to what do you attribute this upturn in fortunes because, let's be honest, you've been mediocre for a few years now?

Good to see you've got one of our old alumi Patrick AhVan, always a whole hearted player. You've also got one of our Academy products, Matthew Race, on loan - how's he doing?

Would be great to Crusaders in the Champ next year. The Mother-in-Law lives just down the road so we can combine a trip with 'doing the duty' 😝 as we did when we were in L1 a few years ago.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really on edge about tomorrow's game. If we can play with the same intensity and determination we had against Barrow then we've got a very real chance. I'm really looking forward to this game. More of the same from Beharell, Smeaton, Tali and the forwards in general then we've got a fighting chance.

If the bookies give us 4/1 for the win again then I'll snap their hand off. 2/1 or less and I'll leave it.

Just got home from my first visit to ZipWorld Stadium, nice ground in a convenient location, even had a view of the sea from the back of the main stand.

The rugby was better entertainment than a lot of Super League I've seen this year, much less wrestle, appealing and pratting around at the play the ball made it a good spectacle.

Great set of passionate fans, friendly staff, a good team and beer just £3 a pint.

Thoroughly enjoyed my visit and will be back.

38 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

Slightly disappointed in that, especially after the winning streak....

Agreed, I suspect some people were put off by the thought of possible traffic problems as it was a BH weekend. As it turned out there weren't any, I had an easier journey than last time! Hey-ho, another nice day by the seaside, though. Bit nervous about next week, could this be where our winning streak ends?

29 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Just got home from my first visit to ZipWorld Stadium, nice ground in a convenient location, even had a view of the sea from the back of the main stand.

The rugby was better entertainment than a lot of Super League I've seen this year, much less wrestle, appealing and pratting around at the play the ball made it a good spectacle.

Great set of passionate fans, friendly staff, a good team and beer just £3 a pint.

Thoroughly enjoyed my visit and will be back.

Have to ask is 3 quid not pretty much standard? I tend to go for cider at rugby which is marginally more. About 3.20. That could be down to Kingston Press being a sponsor though.

45 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

I'm really on edge about tomorrow's game. If we can play with the same intensity and determination we had against Barrow then we've got a very real chance. I'm really looking forward to this game. More of the same from Beharell, Smeaton, Tali and the forwards in general then we've got a fighting chance.

If the bookies give us 4/1 for the win again then I'll snap their hand off. 2/1 or less and I'll leave it.

Honestly looking at our squad on paper I think it’s amazing we are where we are . We looked a bit low on gas  last week and are missing some troops , but it was the first time we’ve just not showed up so the reaction to that will be interesting. Don’t know about fighting chance , you should be favourites at home 

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Honestly looking at our squad on paper I think it’s amazing we are where we are . We looked a bit low on gas  last week and are missing some troops , but it was the first time we’ve just not showed up so the reaction to that will be interesting. Don’t know about fighting chance , you should be favourites at home 

We had a really bad spell with covid about 6 weeks back which I think accounts for our astonishing drop in form. We brought players in from Sheffield who were basically just bodies to get the games played. A mistake on reflection. We could easily have had 2 or 3 games called off. Big mistake on reflection but I can't fault the club for trying to get games played. It's not a normal situation.

We've missed key players all season. Boas, Hedges. Long term injuries now in Taulapapa and Douglas. We all cope best we can don't we?

Looking back I wish we'd called those games off. Our win percentage would have been a lot better. Ultimately though that's our fault. 

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Well done Crusaders

Crusaders fans - to what do you attribute this upturn in fortunes because, let's be honest, you've been mediocre for a few years now?

Good to see you've got one of our old alumi Patrick AhVan, always a whole hearted player. You've also got one of our Academy products, Matthew Race, on loan - how's he doing?

Would be great to Crusaders in the Champ next year

I recon the 68-0 drubbing from Donny really kick-started the lads... Feels like they'd been a bit lacklustre up till then, won some, lost some, ....and then that. They now look together and are playing for each other far more than they were, the defence has firmed up, and hopefully on the way up 🤞

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

29 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

Have to ask is 3 quid not pretty much standard? I tend to go for cider at rugby which is marginally more. About 3.20. That could be down to Kingston Press being a sponsor though.

Not aware of any ground in SL where it's that price. Nice there being an open air bar too, mind you the warm likely sunshine helped there.

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Well done Crusaders

Would be great to Crusaders in the Champ next year

Young Matty is doing well. He’s scored a couple of tries and a drop goal. He’s quietly doing a good job for us. I’d say he’s showing a lot of promise.

I do not understand the reason why L1 cannot be extended 3 weeks into September to complete the few games missed, it seems the worst is over regarding COVID disruptance and at the moment most teams are gaining momentum again and playing reasonably good footie. It would also gain some extra turnstile cash lost through cancellations. The L1 season is woefully short to begin with. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

I do not understand the reason why L1 cannot be extended 3 weeks into September to complete the few games missed, it seems the worst is over regarding COVID disruptance and at the moment most teams are gaining momentum again and playing reasonably good footie. It would also gain some extra turnstile cash lost through cancellations. The L1 season is woefully short to begin with. 

The season already goes to the first week in October (play Off final) ?? Teams in the play off places would have to play deep into October under the current format . 

A three week bout of Covid up at Derwent park would have seen them crowned champions without throwing another ball 

3 minutes ago, wonderofwood said:

The season already goes to the first week in October (play Off final) ?? Teams in the play off places would have to play deep into October under the current format . 

A three week bout of Covid up at Derwent park would have seen them crowned champions without throwing another ball 

But it didn't begin until mid May, surely October is not too far a stretch? It would still be a 5 months off season until next mid March? 

3 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

You have to remember that most of these lads are part time players with jobs and families outside of RL. Playing rugby is a side income for them. A lot of them plan family holidays etc for the end of the season. To suddenly change the end date isn’t fair on them or their families. We saw it at Town when the RFL suddenly threw us into a play off game with Swinton after the season ended and we could only get 13 players as the rest were away on holiday.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Archived