Thu 26 Aug: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Warrington Wolves KO 19:45

Who will win?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/08/21 at 19:15

4 hours ago, daz39 said:

Are Wire depleted? if not and we win will they have been?

Could go either way this, we're not playing too badly at mo just very inexperienced in areas which is telling, i actually think we can win this!

Looks like your question is not needed 

4 hours ago, daz39 said:

Could go either way this, we're not playing too badly at mo just very inexperienced in areas which is telling, i actually think we can win this!

Chip on the shoulder before a ball was kicked.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Well that was a strange game. Huddersfield had plenty of possession but lacked any penetration whatsoever. 

Our pack was back to full strength and laid a good platform for our halves to distribute, but our outside backs (Mamo excepted) seemed slightly out of sorts. Thewlis playing in Charnley's place could have had a hat trick but chose to either come back inside or kick speculatively every time. I'm fairly certain that Matty Ashton would have just sprinted for the line. 

I'm not a ref basher but there were some real head-scratchers tonight - he even gave a penalty against Hudds for being offside at their own kick-off. Really pedantic stuff and contributed to a game that never really got going.  Also Daryl Clark went off with a worrying looking rib injury.

Good turnout by the Wire fans but I hope that blooming drum is confiscated next time!

Oh and to end on a positive, Ratchford was world class tonight at full back; Currie looks menacing again out wide; Hill was fantastic again; and Widdop and Williams controlled everything and can only get better and better ahead of the world cup.

2 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Well that was a strange game. Huddersfield had plenty of possession but lacked any penetration whatsoever. 

Our pack was back to full strength and laid a good platform for our halves to distribute, but our outside backs (Mamo excepted) seemed slightly out of sorts. Thewlis playing in Charnley's place could have had a hat trick but chose to either come back inside or kick speculatively every time. I'm fairly certain that Matty Ashton would have just sprinted for the line. 

I'm not a ref basher but there were some real head-scratchers tonight - he even gave a penalty against Hudds for being offside at their own kick-off. Really pedantic stuff and contributed to a game that never really got going.  Also Daryl Clark went off with a worrying looking rib injury.

Good turnout by the Wire fans but I hope that blooming drum is confiscated next time!

Oh and to end on a positive, Ratchford was world class tonight at full back; Currie looks menacing again out wide; Hill was fantastic again; and Widdop and Williams controlled everything and can only get better and better ahead of the world cup.

You’ll beat Saints on Monday. 

10 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Oh and to end on a positive, Ratchford was world class tonight at full back; Currie looks menacing again out wide; Hill was fantastic again; and Widdop and Williams controlled everything and can only get better and better ahead of the world cup. Hill and Cooper were solid and I thought Mulhern added a fair bit when he came on.

Agree with most of that, although I thought King went ok today, more threatening than he has for a while, his form definitely dropped after he signed his new deal.

Hudds looked to pin us down a few times defensively, but we always seemed to find a hole behind the play the ball, Clark, Currie, Widdop and Ratchford all breaking clear from deep - more should have come from them, execution wasn't great last night but I guess there have been disruptions from games being cancelled.

16 hours ago, daz39 said:

We weren't far off full strength, I think only Jason Clark was missing through injury, but he should be back for Monday according to Price.

Austin & Charnley didn't play due to an 'in-house' issue, not sure what all that is about...

13 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Chip on the shoulder before a ball was kicked.

Nah, just an in-house joke between Fartowners that even though we haven't had anything close to a full team all year every other team have been depleted if they've had 1 or 2 out.

Looking back the morning after i suppose we weren't that bad but we were never gonna get close to a Wire team that strong, we really need some experience especially at half-back as we are struggling to create anything.

Was one of those game were we never looked like winning, Wire were nothing special, there were too many stoppages, zero excitement and one where most were just waiting for the final hooter so we could be relieved.

36 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Nah, just an in-house joke between Fartowners that even though we haven't had anything close to a full team all year every other team have been depleted if they've had 1 or 2 out.

It does sound hilarious, but the unanimous view of Warrington fans on this thread is that we were at pretty much full strength. The main thing we may have to contend with is rustiness as we only get to play once a fortnight.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Pretty standard (rubbish) fayre for super league 2021, Huddersfield were decent for 15-20 minutes but had no real edge in attack to make a difference, Warrington turned defence into attack a couple of times aided by some class play from Widdop, and some lax defending.

Wire played the rest of the game in 2nd gear and we didn't have enough to do anything other than put a decent effort in.

Only positive being, our academy graduates did well again.

13 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Last night proved how little the majority of fans know about the rules of the game.

Most around me weren't even aware that being offside at the kick off was an offence, it was the right call and something that's baffled me for ages, why aren't more given? Every kick off there are players offside, so penalise them all or none at all.

I didn't think he did much wrong, certainly made less errors than the players, but some fans are just convinced the referees have it in for them.

545 Wire fans, as you say, a good effort, but a club that size of Warrington, with their support base should be taking 500 fans minimum.

I had the drum banging away constantly and 2 cowbells either side of me, but it's better than silence I suppose? 🙂

5 hours ago, meast said:

I didn't think he did much wrong, certainly made less errors than the players, but some fans are just convinced the referees have it in for them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he made any glaring mistakes, I just thought he was a bit pedantic at times. 

Your question about calling something every time or not at all is an interesting debate. I think the refs could blow the whistle a hundred times a game if they called every little thing (especially at the play-the-ball) but I'm sure they must give team warnings about things like offside. 

Anyway, best of luck to your smashing club for the rest of the season. Always a pleasure to visit, it's a proper family-oriented club.

Archived